1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark Templar Weapon

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by BiBaKi, Sep 30, 2007.

?

Scythe or Blade?

1. Scythe

66.7%
  2. Blade

33.3%
  3. I dont care I want to see the Results

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Dark Templar Weapon

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by BiBaKi, Sep 30, 2007.

1. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

yes warcraft is a great game and looks great too.

2. Zacron

Zacron New Member

i dun like the two-headed scythes,it is not practical in the heat of battle IMO,why not a guandao

3. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    A guandao would be just as inconvenient as a double bladed scythe. Remember that a Protoss warrior cannot harm him/herself with the psionic blade part from their own weapon, so in effect, the guandao would be just as inconvenient to the Dark Templar as the double sided scythe is, except when using the guandao they would have to constantly try to kite their adversary to make sure that they don't come to close, rendering the guandao useless. It's like having a battle between someone wielding a pike, and another person wielding a dagger, all the person holding the dagger has to do is get past the blade of the pike and the pikeman pretty much cannot use his/her weapon.
    I think everyone should be grateful about the fact that the Dark Templar doesn't have a musket. :p

4. PreatorTengil

PreatorTengil New Member

Hmm.. been thinking about this issue alot.. Im thinking about maybe a middle thing of sorts. Maybe more like darth mauls weapon. Or maybe not curl the blades that much, since it almost look like you would hurt yourself more than the enemy. The design is looking far beyond the case of functionallity, and more trying to get design points and be cool rather than practical

5. SuccaMC

SuccaMC New Member

Death Star
    I think it should just be one really long psi blade off their hand kind of like zealots.

6. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

maybe some sort of energy whip

7. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    @ PreatorTengil. The Protoss cannot harm themselves with their own psionic energy. This argument was posted earlier in the discussion:
    This means that the Dark Templar's can skimp on the practicality a lot more than if they were actually wielding a metal, non-psionic, double-sided scythe. They wouldn't have to create a weapon that is extremely practical, and it's probably better for them if they don't. If the Protoss invented a new weapon that was top of the line in both effectiveness and practicality, then the idea would instantly be stolen be the Terran. If they invent a weapon that is completely unique to them, a weapon that is only effective due to one of the Protoss' specific traits, then that weapon cannot possibly be used by the Terran or any other race taht tries to steal it.

8. Mephisto

Mephisto New Member

Well, the Protoss are vastly superior in mental powers then even the most disciplined Ghosts. So the possibility of Militarism happening would never happen. Unless the U.E.D. made an EXTREMLY downgraded version...I go with Scythe. It looks cooler and to me seems to fit the Dark Templar Persona.

- My life for the Swarm!

9. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    All they would need to copy is the concept. Here is an extremely simplified example:
    Just say that the Protoss invented the spear, and their spear had a Psionic Blade for the spearhead. This spear would be good against almost all other melee fighters because it can reach further than other melee weapons. The Terran would still be able to copy this, despite not having access to the Protoss' level of technology. They would just replace the Psionic Blade on the end with a Fusion Blade or even just a metal spearhead. This would still give them an advantage over other melee unit, because it still means that they can reach that extra bit further. However! With the Dark Templar wielding double sided scythes, chances are that they would need to let the blades pass through themselves (which doesn't actually hurt them) in order to wield them effectively. The Terran have no way of doing this. With the double sided scythes, the Protoss have come up with a design that no other race can copy, so the advantages that the Protoss gain from having this weapon cannot be stolen by other races.
    At least, that's the way I think of it. Blades can be used effectively by anyone, but double-sided scythes can only really be used effectively by the Protoss.

10. h3ll_

h3ll_ New Member

This is my favourite unit . The weapon doesn't look so cool . I don't like it .

11. Yrcrazypa

Yrcrazypa New Member

A pike can still be used as a weapon in close quarters. Getting smacked across the head with a wooden or metal staff will still hurt, and if the wielder is strong enough, it will hurt enough to get back into effective range.

I like the new design myself. It looks pretty cool.

12. Ichirin

Ichirin New Member

Mmm since when is a Dark Templar somekind of death guy? Because of the 'Dark' in their name? As far as I know, Dark Templars were a bannished people because they followed different ways of the Khala, not nessecerily worshipped evilness.
    To my eyes, Dark Templars were more like dark agents and infiltrators, a little like outlaw assassins but never as evil death worshipping demons that you tremble before on the battlefield.

SC 1: [img width=480 height=326]http://www.starnab.com/var/starnab/storage/images/galeries/starcraft-2/artwork-dark-templar/1704-1-fre-FR/artwork_dark_templar_image_galerie.jpg[/img][img width=640 height=480]http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/9919/xzerg3highck3.jpg[/img]

SC 2:
    [img width=450 height=432]http://news.filefront.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/darktemplar1-1.bmp[/img]

Dark templars might be outcasts but they are still Protoss and should fight like Protoss. Besides, the blade is a much better weapon, more manuverable, attached to your hand, if the Dark templar drops his Scythe, hes done, and going trough the trouble of making the double scythe swing to attack seems unessecary when you could just have a blade that follows every movement of your hands.
    How can an infiltrator / assassin do his job with a big scythe in the way?

13. PreatorTengil

PreatorTengil New Member

Then again, a terran could not use it anyway, since they don't have near enough of the psionic power needed to emit the blades. And with that said, it dosen't matter how the design would look like, because the shaft would be as useless as a stick.. Could aswell just use some branches from a nearby tree or forest. The zerg speak for themselves, only using their organic weaponary. Maybe the X'el naga, but i guess they allready have their own more terrible and powerful devices of destruction..

And on a sidenote: Why don't they steal the zealots idea of psionic blades in close combat?? If the zealots now are so superior with their weapons, why are not marines or ghosts equipped with the same metal or fusion powered blades? Because of the tactitcs.. An ordinary protoss is far more larger and powerful, and with strength maybe three times that of a strong human. And with their personal shields and psionic precognition, i don't think it would matter if the terrans tried to use a 'copied' version of the protoss own melee weapons against them. They would get slaughtered anyway. More than if they used ranged weapons IMO

14. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    but the dark templar rae no longer being used as assassins, they need to be soldiers now, and soldiers need to be able to go through multiple enemies fast, especially with the protoss being out numbered. for this a double bladed scythe is much more effective.

besides blade are so old. zealots use them we need something diffferent for dark templars

15. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Yeah. That's kinda what I meant when I said:
    The Terran could have an ordinary double-sided scythe (with normal metal blades at the ends) but it would be useless against a Dark Templar with its double-sided scythe because the Dark Templar would have much more maneuverability, what with the baldes being able to pass through him and all.

16. ZeR[g]LiNg

ZeR[g]LiNg New Member

Yeah, Dt's need to be used as soldiers, too, lorewise. They can't have half of the warriors be assassins. They need some more warriors, seeing that the popilation of the normal protoss probably decreased from zerg attacks. What kind of idiotic race would focus half of their army on stealth attacks when they are used to head on attacking? the combined knowledge of the two sides would help them create good, strong armor that lasts in the battlefield, but can still be sleathy.

17. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Btw people who say the sythe doesn't work well in combat I'd say you are highly wrong. You can't use the sythe in comparison to Blade vs Pike. This is a double edged sythe to it can attack from a distance and very close up (notice the blades turn on the inside). Also a sythe does more damage as the sythe's blades are a lot bigger and are sickle shaped so you can only imagine the damage they can inflict.

18. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Actually it would kinda make a lot of sense for the Dark Templar, as well as the rest of the Protoss, to focus on stealth. If you think about it, a dying army with dwindling numbers wouldn't keep on trying to do full scale frontal assaults.
    I assume you're referring to one of my previous posts? That post had little to do with the scythes. I was using that comparison to show why a guandao wouldn't work. I'll all for the scythe.

19. Zacron

Zacron New Member

This is probably weaker than zergling attack.

20. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    In defence on the Scythe, from a completely different angle, the scythe leaves some interesting map making possibilities. I know Ive always wanted a grim reaper model. This is getting closer.
    At first i wanted the blade back too, but i'm warming up to the idea.
    Who knows. Its all aesthetic...unless there is lore about this.
    Is there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.