1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark Pylons in the works?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Ych, Jul 3, 2008.

Dark Pylons in the works?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Ych, Jul 3, 2008.

1. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    the black shroud would be better because the enemy wouldn't be able to tell whats under it, you could have nothing but decoy DPs and they think its a major forward base.

2. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    How could you have a decoy base if nothing is there =/

You're just confusing your self lol. Cloak is cloak like I said.

3. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    it would be a decoy base because they would think stuff was there, i'm confusing you i undestand perfectly...

4. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I think it would be great in the missions / singleplayer, but in the multiplayer ehh.

5. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Nothing will be there since the black shroud won't be there. Normal cloak, everything will look normal as if nothing was there. The black shroud simply says: ''hey I have a building located right here''

Unless you want the actual matrix to be a visible black shroud and the buildings are under it?
    Is so, that isn't even cloaking and to have a mist around would just be graphic intense. I just think normal cloak looks best.

6. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    i meant the matrix as a shroud and i don't think a simple black shroud would be graphic intensive for this game judging by what i've i've seen...

7. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    So why not actually have the buildings cloak? Much more clean that way, also looks better.

I know a tactic I'd like to use, allow some enemy units in my cloaked base, spam my cannons to stop so they don't shoot thus remaining cloaked, and when they're in the perfect position, AMBUSH with cannons firing at them uncloaking, then my Dark Templars block off the exit >;]

8. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    as it has been mentioned i think a black shroud would look more menacing and dark templary.

and yea i would like to set up an entire base actying like a production base (units coming and going etc) and just have cannons... great decoy so i can swing around and assualt their base aswell...

9. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    This is one big fat RUMOR. True, there was a dark pylon that was discussed at WWI but it was more as an example of a unit that never was and never will be.

The guy quoted in the article blew it out of proportion. I'm really surprised, actually, that Karune mentioned it at all during our community meeting because the night before he had said not to release information about it.

I don't know who StarcraftWire.net is, but they should be more careful to quote Karune more accurately.

10. LxMike

LxMike New Member

nice ideal

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2008
  11. Juggernaught131

Juggernaught131 New Member

America
    you cant ambush the enemy when it is already aware of the possibility of an ambush. If i see a dark shroud, i would not go into the shroud unles forced to, even then i would beuild a formidable force and get a detector first. WHen nothing is therebu the tower, you have a chance of leading them on. Especially if maybe they make the pylon look like a regular one to the enemy. i would be fine if it only cloacked buildings as well as long as it cloacked prisms as well

12. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    @Jon
    I don't see why we can't have a dark pylon. Besides Blizzard likes toying with ideas so we very well might see it though truth be told I would rather have a mobile stealth generator. I liked the Star Relic for that reason and the cannon that makes enemies explode screams of awesome more than the nerfbat Mothership

As for the field employed I think if should force Fog of war. That means without a detector your enemies can't see your units and they have to find the buildings first but standard FOW rules apply so anything changes to those buildings such as new buildings being raised (or razed) or any damage would be unknown until you bring a detector.

That would also mean if you fire upon one of these buildings you won't know when it is destroyed unless you bring a detector or one of your units walks through the hole where it used to be

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  13. gtx75

gtx75 New Member

i think its a bit too much to have a pylon and a dark pylon

14. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    @BoP

Wasn't saying you can't have it. I was saying the source is faulty. Didn't include the part where the dev team said it was unworkable because of graphical and balance issues.

15. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    The name is just a placeholder

16. Ych

Ych New Member

Whatever works I guess. I trust the direction that Blizzard is going.

Starcraftwire isn't claiming that Blizzard added the Dark Pylon. They are just saying that they are thinking about it by mentioning the lore behind it. I don't see them mentioning the Dark Pylon will be in the game. It's their Q&A with Dustin Browder so unless they make up everything or exaggerate the stuff, I don't see how their source is faulty.

It's just something new to discuss while we are waiting for SC2. So I believe that anything that Blizzard is planning to implement or test, we should be discussing it to help Blizzard out.

So screw the BIG FAT RUMOR JON :p and let the discussion BEGIN LOL!!!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  17. PsiWarp

PsiWarp New Member

Aiur
    I think that they should add a more interesting cloak mechanic to the Dark Pylon. Think of it this way, if the Dark Pylon is attacked, all buildings that are cloaked will "flash". But, if left undisturbed, the buildings will have the classic warped invisibility PLUS they will have 0 collision size, allowing all units to pass through them. You'll have to either bring a detector or destroy the Dark Pylon in order to attack the buildings. A unit under a building with the Dark Pylon will jump out after the Dark Pylon is destroyed.

Technically the Dark Pylon (lore) teleports the Protoss building's matter into Void space, while the outline of it is still visible in where it stands.

-Psi

18. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

How come these Eureka's doesnt happen to those races needing it most T_T

19. Dustyvan

Dustyvan New Member

You guys do realize that the possibilities to either are more to the effect of laying detectors to stop superweapons from knowing where to strike right? I mean, if a nydus worm lands in the wrong spot then the invasion is ****ed.. and lets not forget what happens when a nuke is set off in a bad spot... it's a horrible waste of money. this would be a great warding tech... not an ambush tech. Placing the dark pylons in erradic places as well as important places will become an important strategy.

SCII will not have heros but it WILL have units that can tip the balance of the fight.... the Importance of sidetracking those units will be monumental.

20. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

it would help defend against harassing tactics (probes are the weakest workers).