1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark obelisk cloaking field

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by BirdofPrey, Oct 12, 2007.

?

Should the Dark Obelisk Have a cloaking field

1. Yes-without upgrades

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes-but it requres an upgrade to cloak buildings

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes- but it requires an upgrade before cloking anything

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Dark obelisk cloaking field

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by BirdofPrey, Oct 12, 2007.

1. PhantomFF

PhantomFF New Member

MD
    True I'm mixing my threads here :p, but I was thinking more the size of the current mothership time bomb (the one on the bliz site). Just enough room to sqeeze a few buildings in.

2. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Well It needs to be big enough to actually be able to cover awhole building. If the field is too small it will be useless becuase you will have to get so many of them and they will be so dense. The obelistks are already going to be somewhat expensive since they are a tech building

3. PhantomFF

PhantomFF New Member

MD
    Well, I was thinking able to cover 2 extra buildings...3 if you squish em together real tight. What I dont want to create is a Command and Conquor situation...which makes hiding an entire base quite easy. My mind is more set on having a few cloaked buildings with the heart of the base still visible. Either that or its a major expenditure to keep something completely hidden.

4. b0urne

b0urne New Member

dammit this was my idea

phooey

5. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    The dark obelisk won't be cheap. It won't be the C&C situation because of the price you can't spam them except on money maps. If you are not on a money map and an entire full scale base is hidden you did something wrong

6. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    I'd much prefer it if the cloaking ability was on another building, one that isn't a prerequisite to building a unit. Even if the Dark Obelisk has no other uses than being a prerequisite, it's just a pretty weird idea to give buildings like that such a powerful ability as cloaking. You build the Dark Obelisk to access DTs. When you build prerequisite buildings, especially ones that have no upgrades associated with them, you want to keep it somewhere safe so that your ability to produce the particular unit is uninterrupted. And while you can build multiple Obelisks for a cloaking field, it just isn't as practical as giving it to another building.

7. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    With 3 or 4 of those things you won't have to worry about losing you prerequisite. You don't have to build them all on the front lines.

8. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Even so, the merits of giving a prerequisite building such a powerful ability is shaky at best. They already give you access to one of the strongest units in the game, a cloaking field on top of that is a little dangerous.

9. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    It will most certanly NOT cover the whole base and getting it is rather expensive so it isn't really OP since it is a very costly ability. You might have one covering the resource operations but you have to be brave or stupid to put it near the front lines.

10. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    I never said that it would cover the whole base or that it would be a good idea to put it in the front lines. It's pretty obvious why those are bad ideas. All I'm saying is that it would be better on a building that's not a prerequisite, so either a completely new building or individual upgrades to some existing buildings, similar to evolving a sunken colony from a creep colony.

11. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    maybe this upgrade (whatever of the suggestions it does) is a early tier 3 or late tier 2 upgrade to the Obelisk? That would balance out its powers.

12. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

giving prerequisite buildings some abilities would be a new mechanic i don't see why it would be bad, so what if it allows you to build dt and have a cloaking field at the same time, there is nothing op about that

13. Vindicatormsc

Vindicatormsc New Member

yes,and besides,the CC already has two specific abilities(comsat scan and planetary fortress),so it's not something only the protoss would have.

but the cloaking field would (obviously) be very small,covering about the same area of the Pylon's psionic matrix.it would not be overpowered,and you could put it near your workers,or something like that

now,on a tottaly different subject,i don't know if you would agree on this(or if someone else suggested this already),shouldn't the Observatory have some skill that...well,reflects its name ??

14. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    How about an upgrade that lets you reveal the entire map for 10 seconds and reveals all cloaked enemies during that time.

15. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

the observatory could simply have very large sight range, say twice the normal buildings

16. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    That is kinda useless unless you put it with the cannons. I don't know about you but I like to keep mine off the defensive line but in the middle of your base a sight range increase is meaningless

17. timedragon888

timedragon888 New Member

Maybe it can also act as a detector, because it observes? lol

18. Vindicatormsc

Vindicatormsc New Member

i think it should have some sort of scan that reveals claked enemies(yeah,total comsat scan rip off).heck,its an OBSERVATORY,it should observe things...

19. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

it's not useless, twice the sight range would cover 4 times the area, if you put it near the edge of the cliff that protects your base, it would be able to see quite far into the "wilderness" and give you a early warning to attacks

20. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Actually it would only be twice the area because half of the 4x is the original area.

My point was that in the middle of the base all it can see is your buildings anyways it is too big to put near the front lines because you have less space for units and cannon. Also its sight range isn't that extraordinary so 2x the range would only be a little meh