Current issues and questions i have for Terran

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Mar 11, 2008.

Current issues and questions i have for Terran

Discussion in 'Terran' started by DKutrovsky, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Or the Thor should get the current attack style the Colossus has, so it can easily deal with what's in front of it and it's support can get what's at its sides and back.

2. Ych

Ych New Member

Here are a list of things that most people have a problem with the Terrans.

1. Thors role.
    2. Ghosts Drop-Pod been axed. (Rumored from the newest build:China)
    3. Reactor add-on changed. (Rumored from the newest build:China)
    4. Medics been replaced by Medivac Dropship.

1. I don't care how good the Thors are against air units or how their splash damage are different from Goliaths. They are Goliaths Part 2, plain and simple.1 word to describe the Thors role in its current stage. UNCREATIVE. This is SC2 we are talking about. We want to see some new things. Leave the old units/abilities to the already existing units. I don't mind the siege tanks or the Marines returning with their old abilities. But the Thor is a different story. A kick-ass looking new model acting like a SC1 unit. If I were to grade the Thor on a report card, I would give it an F for effort, creativity, and everything that you could name. REVAMP!

2. Rumor says that the Drop-pod has been axed from the newest build (China). I have no idea what Blizzard is thinking. It's a nice mechanic that the Ghost has. Also pretty unique compared to what the other 2 races are getting. Makes the Terran a pretty distinctive race with this new mechanic. Unless the Ghosts gets a new ability equally as cool as the Drop-pod, I suggest Blizzard to keep the Drop-pod as where it's at.

3. Rumor has also been floating that from the newest build (China) the Reactor no longer builds 2 units at once but instead, increase the building queue space up to 10 instead of 5. What a terrible terrible replacement. Now, they have officially made the Reactor add-on a useless one. SWEET!!! Now I don't have to decide which add-on to choose from. By far the worst change out of them all.

4. I'm actually more neutral about this. I'm taking the, "Wait and see," approach to this one. This could lead to some interesting new strategies and will totally change how the Terrans play in generally. Might turn out to be good for all we know. :)But a lot of people have been complaining about it so I might as well add this to the list.

That basically sums it up. I have been reading through various forums/websites and most of them are also having these 4 issues that I have listed. So from the looks of it, it isn't just our forum that is disliking these new Terran changes. Everyone is hating on these new changes. I hope Blizzard takes these 4 issues into serious account and read all the fans feedback from all the fansites about these 4 issues.

3. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    I'd bump the Medivac Dropship to 2.

Medics are what keep the Terran offense rolling before your tanks and other mechanical creations join the fray.

4. Gforce

Gforce New Member

The thor needs an overhaul. The banshee is fine, if not needing a new name.

5. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Ych9 I dont know about this, but i think its a great problem:
    The reaper!
    No role exept harasser, and Jon told it wasnt used... It has not real use else then a harasser, and thats suck!

6. Ych

Ych New Member

Your right furrer. I didn't list the Reapers as a problem. They are acting just like a weaker version of the Marines but faster and can throw bombs. If your base is well defended, I don't see how Reapers could prove to be any use. They die fast and deal weak damage. Only use that they have is their jump-pack and the ability to throw time-bombs. But M&M Drop could do the job just as well as Reapers. So maybe that is why the Reapers are in a lost direction as of now.

The more I think about the recent changes of the Terrans, the more I'm disappointed with them. I hope they reclaim the cool factor that they once showed during the Blizzcon demonstration. Because to tell you the truth, when the Terran was first introduced, those new mechanics/units really impressed me. (Even more so then the Protoss and the Zergs to be honest). But with all the recent changes lately, they are losing its appeal. Blizzard needs to bring that appeal factor back to the Terrans once again to all the Terran lovers.

7. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    I don't mean to attack you only to defend the reaper which is one of my favorite new units.
    not all units need to be offensive and defensive. (though the D-8 charge could put a while in large forces and stationary targets, but more on that later.)
    I think the point of the Reaper is to make raiding and quick strikes (preventing expansion as well) a more common part of Terran strategy. M&M drop is much more work, plus you have to worry about your Drop Ships, and since they replace the Medics as healers, you have to do some serious micro manging to make sure they continue to heal you troops while also keeping them from taking too much fire.

Think of the Reaper as a Zergling who can jump cliffs and blow crap up.
    They are cheap (50m 25v I believe, 1 supply)
    They can move in and out very quickly which means they could preform worker raids, prove as a distraction, flank attack. Their D-8 charges could be used to either attack add-ons, workers, Tanks in siege mode, developing expansions.
    Now all of this COULD be accomplished by an M&M drop, but isn't the reaper a quicker, cheaper, and cooler solution?

8. FantasyBlade

FantasyBlade New Member

indeed, the reaper would be effective in an early harass or a late game expansion killer, the bombs are awesome, theres tons of possibilities to use them, but frontal assault on a base would probably never be one :p.

9. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Not really cheaper!?
    Medivac Dropship: 100-200 minerals +50-100gas
    8 Marines: 400 minerals

8 Reapers: 400 minerals + 200 gas

10. Ych

Ych New Member

To be honest, I don't consider the Reapers as the top of the priority as of now.

The 4 changes that I listed IMO are more serious then the Reapers.

However, I do remembered that back in BlizzCon, Reapers were build differently. If I remembered correctly, they were build from the Bar. When you build them, 4 or 5 of them pops out instantly. After that, they go through a cooldown before you can build again. But everytime you were to build Reapers, 4 or 5 would pop out instantly. I think that was a unique mechanic for the Reapers. Perhaps, it would make them a lot more useful during a rush or if you want to mass out some Reapers by building a few bars early game or perhaps, even late game to clean up your opponent.

Blizzard should bring that build mechanic back for the Reapers.

11. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Yes they changed how they worked around that stage of the game, probaly because no one wanted to build productions building for them?
    I think the problem is that there bombs are near useless, and can only be used against buildings (units can move...). Terran player will be able to lift up all there important buildings (not including suply depot, but it can go down in the ground). So it cant be used well against Terran either.

12. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    Lets call it a Medivac Dropship 150m 50g, a compromise.
    You'll need two.
    We know Marines, 50m
    Reapers 50m 25g

Dropships and Marines
    thats --------- 700m and 100g
    Now the Reapers ------------------------ 400m and 200g

Then again 8 Marines won't accomplish much, even with Medivacs
    Where as 8 Reapers could all together halt their economy.

AND like Ych9 and furrer said, its yet to see how the Reapers will work seeing as how the final version of Starcraft is far from out. Blizz may revret back to their original mechanics, which...well we'll see.

13. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    WHy arent 8 marines as usefull as 8 reapers? With stim-pack there dps is around the same... so its still 8 marines and 1 dropship...

14. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    Alright I'll give you that.
    Do we know how many units the Medivac can heal at a time?

I'm just a huge fan of the Reaper. Its D-8 charges...can you say DAMAGE! :good:
    I'm assuming that the D8 upgrade will be similar to the STIM Pack cost wise.

For an assault 8 Marines are bloody useful but for just a raid they'll likely be toast.
    Then again the Suken Colonies won't be able to hit Medivacs....mostly because they don't exhist anymore...

15. Laz

Laz New Member

couldnt all these problems with the reapers be dealt with if they just gave it more attack and defense? Why create whole new units and ways to make them when a little attack and defense upgrade would solve it all?

16. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Really, then everyone would use them instead of marines if they have the gas Laz. The problem is really that in the current build they are only usefull as harassers (or not usefull at all), but if you beaf the up dmg/defense wise, then no one would use marines. So you will need to give them some sort of abbility that is usefull, like SPIDER MINES. Spider mines were IMO 10x mire usefull then D8 charges are, so thats really what they need (or an other abbility). So the reaper just need an usefull abbility, not a higher def/atk.

17. Laz

Laz New Member

I'm not saying a Major upgrade just a little one that would equalize them. People keep talking about how there so weak. Well lets just make them a little stronger.

18. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Yes but they will not be used more if they are stronger dps wise, because either they cost more then marines, so people will use marines, or they are better cost-wise, and then people will choose Reapers. They need to have a good role that suits them, and thats the most important part Laz!

19. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    What if they got some armor or defense bonus against infantry? not attack, only defense.
    And I really think Reapers will be more useful than everyone is making them out to be.
    I've covered raiding, preventing expansions, I think thats useful enough personally.
    What about hunting down non ranged units. Zealots, even Ultralisks.
    Also, don't under estimate the D-8. Think what that would do to a group of sieged tanks....then again that is if they could close with them fast enough...
    Eh, I duno. I love the Reaper.

20. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    i like the reaper too chax!!!
    i rkn reapers are meant to waste your money to harrass your enemy. but yeah as ych9 said...reapers are not as a big issue as the thor and the new medivac dropship......AND THE drop pod!!! omgoshness....why cut droppod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just move the emp to the nomad....and give the drop pod back to the ghost.