Creative Zerg Ideas

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Ariel, Oct 9, 2007.

Creative Zerg Ideas

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Ariel, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    Leechlings: units that attacks enemy units by digging deep into thier skin, armor or such and damages the enemy unit overtime, once it dies, it takes the form of the unit attacked (applies to organic units onlt, machines would exlplode), once they took the form of their enemy, they would have some special abilities or just plain attack...

example: marine wandering around, leechling infests marine, marine dies and leechling emerges in the form of a marine or human like appearance, kinda like the suicide unit, but instead, it has a bio gun or something, spits acid or whatever... imagine a zealot thats infested, its like a mutated zealot with kaiserblades for weapons, or an infested firebat, emerges as a fire breathing unit........... think about it

2. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    If there are Leechlings, then they shouldn't take over the enemy, they should just be like huge leeches (anyone seen the remake of King Kong?) Leeches would just drop off after the unit has died.

3. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    okay, how about fire breathing units? that would be cool to watch right?

or a dragon like unit is kinda cool, always wondered why zerg doesn't have any hardcore air unit, protoss have carriers, terrans have battle cruisers, how about uberlisk for zerg?, a dragon like unit with a melee air attack and a "buster flare" skill whick is like a yamato gun but instead of a huge explosion, it slowly burns hp..........

4. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

my ideas

ultralisk
    the ultralisk can step over other units and it takes all the damage fired from AtG, siege tanks and collosi instead of the units beneath it

zergling
    crackling upgrades earlier in game

hydralisk
    give them a melee attack and a ranged attack

overlord
    the max pop size of zerg will be bigger than that of other races

mutalisk
    give it a melee anti-air attack and give them a cool attack versus ground

5. Zhar

Zhar New Member

love the ultralisk idea, it would counter the terrans mass-AoE so well. As of now they're pretty much all anti-serg. what with the seige tanks and the thor and the battlecruiser... this ability might be slightly overpowered tho...so perhaps it could just soak the majority of imcoming AoE damage, but still let some through to units beneath it. Early cracklings would be fun too, would bring a whole new meaning to zergling rush :D.
    i still think the zerg need some kind of cliffwalking unit, maybe a zergling upgrade that costed about 25 minerals per, enabled cliff-walking, and slightly beefed up the zergligs hp ?

6. needler

needler New Member

I think the lurker should be the cliffwalking unit, unless it would be too overpowered. If it would, then Lings should get the cliffwalking, but it shouldn't be upgraded separately.
    Then my ideas:
    Ultralisk
    Ultralisks should be able to hit several units at a time, because of their big blades. Maybe it should be like a splash that hits only enemies.
    Zerg blood
    I watched the Starcraft Ghost video on Youtube and the Zerg blood was green, not red and people said it was good. I think that Zergs should be full of different liquids, and none of them should be recognised as blood. This isn't so important, but it would make Zerg unique.

7. headstock

headstock New Member

1) similar to the overflowing creep from high terrain..... i want drones to be able to morph into a small small buldging structure that flows creep from its location and down a cliff, allowing smaller zerg units to climb up and down the cliff via the creep.

2) I want the zerg Hive to have its own upgrade of creating a small swarm which defends it and the buildings slowing down and immobilising enemy units within range. Really its a zerg version of a planetary fortress, but with different attributtes.

3) I want zerglings able to regain a very small amount of health from every biological kill (eats part of victim)

4) i want a new unit that burries underground and when units walk over it, the the zerg unit clasps its tentacle like spikes, traps and eats the unit, every unit it eats the zerg unit gets a little bigger, and you can unburrow it, move it, and set the new trap, which will hopefully claim more victims further growing the zerg unit.

5) i want to see a completley unique ability for the zerg,.... to have an upgraded creep colony, that actually creates high ground creep. it would be costly, but a few of em could give you strategic high ground advantages especially in creating choke points.

8. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I do not like the concept of any abilities that would either alter the terrain, give a team an advantage if it starts on high/low ground or give the team an advantage if the opponent starts on high/low ground. There was a small off-topic discussion on it in this thread:
    http://www.starcraft2forum.org/forums/index.php?topic=3173.90
    It was talking about whether Zerglings should be allowed to glide down cliffs (because of their wings) but not be able to fly up cliffs. Basically, what was said was, it could never be properly balanced. Now, I know a lot of you would say that everything can be balanced, and saying that it can't be balanced is just a lame/crap excuse for not having something you don't like, but it is unbalanced because it would give the player the ability to pretty much rig the game. Most mechanics will apply in every single game played, no matter what happens, but, if Zerglings were able to jump down cliffs but not up (or in this case creep runs down cliffs but not up) then anyone could just make their own map where the Zerg players would be at either a severe advantage or a severe disadvantage, depending on how the map was made. If players could make maps where the Zerg players start in a ditch, then they would lose all their abilities to jump down cliffs, and if they started on a hill, then they could easily swarm out Zerglings (or expand out their base). this would mean that Zerg players would have to choose the maps that they play wisely, yet Protoss and Terran players would always have a free choice. All mechanics should be controlled in game, and a player should not be able to tip the game depending on what map they play on.

9. MyLifeForAiur

MyLifeForAiur New Member

For anyone who has played WC3, wouldn't it be interesting to buy creep such as the undead make their blight with the skulls built from their shops?

Any ideas similar to this I believe would be neat, would help them fast expand faster as they would be able to tower minerals, etc.

Another suggestion would be an upgrade for a unit, maybe Ultralisk or Hyrdalisk in which the more damage they receive at once the more aggressive they get, increasing their attack speed.

10. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    @ MyLifeForAuir. Maybe if Drones had an ability to produce Creep Sacks or something, where it carries the Creep Sack around as if it were minerals, gas or a chrysalis, and then was able to deposit it anywhere on the map. It would cost minerals or gas to produce these Creep Sacks, like Scarabs or Interceptors, but each drone would only be able to carry one at a time. Also, when it is deposited, the Creep would have to slowly start creeping (mind the pun) back, like how it does when a Creep, Sunken or Spore Colony, or the Hive, Lair or Hatchery are destroyed, so it would best be used to just place the Creep Sack, and immediately use the same Drone to evolve into a building on the patch of fresh Creep.
    Also, what if buildings could evolve back into Drones? It wouldn't cost anything, but you wouldn't be able to get any minerals back from it, you would just get the Drone. Even if this new de-evolved Drone was changed enough so that it wasn't able to mine minerals or harvest gas, but was still able to morph into another building.

11. Chax424

Chax424 New Member

A
    I'd like to see a flying air to air melee unit.
    the zergling equivalent on the air.
    picture those tearing apart a battle cruiser.

12. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    That was my idea for the unit design competition. It was called the Volatilisk:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Idea: When trying to design a new unit, I tried to invent something that hadn't been done before. My focus was on a Zerg unit because I didn't feel that I could be as creative with Terran and Protoss. I tried to create something different and I noticed that in StarCraft1, there are both melee and ranged ground units, but there aren't any melee flying units, they are always ranged. Knowing this, I decided to try and make it even more unique. Of the Zerg flying units that already exist, there are ones with 2 wings (Mutalisk, Scourge) or no wings (Guardian, Devourer, Overlord), and the Queen is a bit ambiguous (no flappable wings anyway). So, I chose to attempt to create a flying, melee, Zerg units that has 4 wings. The story behind the Volatilisk, could be that when the Psi Disrupter was forcing Zerg units to fight against other Zerg units, then maybe, just maybe, the Zerg could accidentally assimilate 2 of their own species, in this case the Mutalisk and Zergling, to create one combined aerial predator.

Description: Only slightly smaller than the Mutalisk, the Volatilisk is a terrible sight. It has 2 pincer-like claws, similar to that of a preying mantis, as its primary weapon which are both covered in spark spikes. Its 4 wings, that replaced both the fore and hind legs, allow it to hover by flapping each pair up and down individually, as in, when one pair is up, the other pair is down. It's serpentine body moves with its wings to give the wings some extra power. On the tip of its tail is a very sharp barb. While in combat this unit is able to flip its tail around to deal an additional attack against its enemies. Upon closer inspection of the Volatilisk, the viewer will notice that the whole body is covered with very small spines, however these spines are much larger and more noticeable down the creatures back, tail and claws. It bears horrible teeth and is able to terrify anything that is daring enough to look directly at it.

Abilities:
    Breach Hull :The Volatilisk does not have many strong abilities. It is much more powerful at taking down small to medium sized aerial units. To counter its weakness against very large flying units, the Volatilisk has learnt to be able to land on the ship and tear a hole in its side, and sometimes even into the flesh of a large Zerg flyer, whilst it shreds the ship/creature from the inside out. This ability would destroy the Volatilisk as it enters its victim, and would deal fairly significant (if not immediately repaired or restorated) damage over time to the effected target. When a large amount of Volatilisks attack a single target, like a Battlecruiser, there may be a fair few that decide to breach its hull. This damage would stack the more
    that are used, and a Protoss Shield would have to be completely destroyed for it to be able to enter the ship.

Swoop: This upgradeable ability would allow the Volatilisks to be able to swoop down upon small ground units, like Zerglings, Marines and Zealots. It does not carry the unit off in its claws, but tries to gut the victim alive.
    The Volatilisk seldom gets the opportunity to taste live flesh and relishes it when it can. The Volatilisk will refuse to swoop down on mechanical units, due to the fact that it would have to stay down much longer to breach the metal surface, which would make it vulnerable to other attacks.

[img width=670 height=815]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee72/itzahexgor/Finaliseddesign-Volatilisk.jpg[/img]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I came 4th in that competition, which I am happy with, but I reckon that I would have gone better if it was purely the drawing, without any description or anything.

13. Overling

Overling New Member

Ok, this is the merging of my very first post in this forum, the ‘Idea 4 Zerg tech tree’, and a few others I thought were really good. Here it goes the Zerg tech-tree idea:

Hatchery level:

Hatchery -> Spawning Pool (Zerglings) -> Hydralisk Den (Hydralisk)
    \ \
    \ Zerg Spire (Mutalisks)
    \ /
    Evolution Chamber (Sunken/Spore colonies)

Lair level -> ???

Lair (requires Spawning pool) + Zerg Spire = Scourges

Lair + Spawning pool = Banelings

Lair + Hydralisk Den = ‘Slowing Goo’ upgrade for Hydras (makes up for Queen)

Hive level:

Hive (requires ???) -> Defiler’s mound (Defiler w/ researchable Corrupted Blood ability)
    \
    Ultralisk Cave? (‘Blind Hulk’ zerg unit)

Hive + Hydralisk Den = ‘Lurker climber’ upgrade

Hive -> Nydus Worms

Strategy: At hatchery level you may choose to go directly to Mutalisks from Zerglings, in order to fight physically weak yet mobile race like the terrans. Hydralisks + zerglings would still be very much required to face Zealots, as Mutas can’t stop them for having a smaller damage and not being on their way to stop.

Lair level gives you 2 options of AoE bombers: Baneling and Scourges if you have the Spire. Hydras gain the ability to slow enemies they target with a goo like ability (researchable) that enables banelings and scourges to be more effective, as well as increase success versus melee units such as Zealots.

Hive level would give you a new Lurker, capable of climbing cliffs to ambush the enemy more properly and to escape through better routes. Climbing would complete the Lurker’s role, imo. Its increase in complexity is what moved it to Hive level.

Hive would also permit the creation of Defilers, with the corrupted blood ability, good for splitting armies into 2, or weakening stacked defenses.

However, in order to deal with a massive amount of fire, Zerg units need a shield. That’s the ‘Blind Hulk’, a tough unit that resists enemy firepower with thick armor and regen, but is blind and can only attack when in range of an Overlord.

And to increase mobility, the old news: Nydus worms can pop-up anywhere that sight meets, by painting the target.

What’s missing: Infesting ability and mechanics; way to deal with Overcharge ability; Mutalisk’s mutations; non-unit-related mechanics changes.

Ideas for this post, better explained, can be found on these topics:
    http://www.starcraft2forum.org/forums/index.php?topic=3991.0

http://www.starcraft2forum.org/forums/index.php?topic=3974.0

http://www.starcraft2forum.org/forums/index.php?topic=3944.0

http://www.starcraft2forum.org/forums/index.php?topic=2872.0

14. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I like the idea of the Lurkers being the Zerg unit that is able to move inter-tier (up and down cliffs). You are right in that it completes their role as the perfect ambusher, because not only do they have an extremely powerful, and unexpected attack (done while burrowed) but they would now have highly increased mobility, allowing them to create traps and ambushes where they couldn't before.

15. Overling

Overling New Member

Thank you! ;) And what did you think of the rest? Or is it too much together to draw conclusions? :)

16. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I think the rest of it, especially the 'tech tree' is fairly generic. I think that the idea of Hydralisks slowing down its victims could work, but I would prefer the Queen's Ensnare. I've already posted in the corrupted Blood thread. Lastly, I think that the Blind Hulk idea is a bit odd. I think that the Ultralisk should remain as the tank, and to those who say 'if you want all the units the same then play StarCraft1', the only units that I think should definitely stay are (excluding the Drone and Overlord) Zerglings, Ultralisks, Hydralisks and Mutalisks. All of the others should be changed or completely replaced to make way for new units. The Protoss have kept 5 old units so far, being Zealot, High and Dark Templar, Archon and Carrier, and the Terran have also kept 5 old units so far, being, the Marine, Ghost, Medic, Siege Tank, and Battlecruiser. I think it would make more sense that Zerg keep less old units than the other teams, for they are constantly evolving, when the others have to think up and invent the new vehicles and ships, etc. Terran and Protoss would still use their outdated units for a while anyway, until they have produced enough of the new unit to replace the old, because they are still effective vehicles and ships, and they wouldn't just crush them all once they have invented something new.