1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Countdown to Zerg

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Overling, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Countdown to Zerg

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Overling, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    it would look cool... but seriously. Have you thought about how much balancing that needs? giving the most basic and massable unit in starcraft the ability to jump cliffs?

2. -Behemoth

-Behemoth New Member

lol it gives a whole new meaning to the word "lag"

3. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

if zerglings were ever to jump cliffs they should only be able to jump down not up

4. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    jumping down but not up is logical, even i thought about it a month ago or so, but, that also needs to much balancing, but this time because of the fact that they are more useless when attacked from higher ground, but pretty much surrounds and destroys everything beneath it.
    Imagine how unbalanced it would be on a map where everybody starts in canyons/pits.
    Zerglings would just swarm from all directions destroying everything.

Because of such situations, it needs to be tweaked. maybe it gets even less hp, or less speed. But that would make it useless when a enemy base is above you instead.

The only way to avoid this is to either give it the ability to go both up and down, or just forget the hole thing.

5. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

make jumping down a late game upgrade just like the increased attack speed upgrade in sc1

6. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    adrenal glands are usefull for zerglings in all melee situations, while jumping DOWN cliffs but not UP will be something that just pisses you off in certain situations. It is like giving zealots the cloak ability late game, but it only works when it is on low ground... :p

7. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

well it's better than nothing, make it a tier 2 research then. i'm sure it could be balance it you tweak it enough. i just want to see swarms of zerglings pouring down a cliff landing on top of siege tank formations... drool :drunk:

8. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

only down is really cool, but only 1 level cliffs not 2 level cliffs

9. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Gasmaskguy is right. If they were able to jump down and not up, then the balancing would be near impossible due to the fact that the map will vary. However, does anyone reckon that they could make it a campaign only upgrade? After all, then they would have complete control over the physical environment and be able to balance it accordingly.

10. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

varying maps is not an argument for balance, all units perform differently on different maps, if the whole map is a big plain then ground units can get anywhere air units can and terrans would have a harder time defending without ramps and choke points. also competitive maps all the starting locations are identical in the sense of features around it.

11. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    i know, all units perform differently on different maps, but you don't get the point! Air units are better to use when there is a lot of walls and cliffs you say? I totally agree with you. But what if air units could only go UP cliffs but not DOWN? It is just unbalanced in special situations, making the outcome of the game pretty random.

If a unit is granted the ability to jump cliffs or fly, that is what it should do. Not sometimes NOT be able to jump cliffs/fly, that is kinda stupid. It is like making marines only able to shoot units that are on the same height or lower than them, not being able to shoot targets above.
    It is exactly the same with this zergling-idea. It would pwn when on higher ground, and suck when on lower ground. It is like making zealots invisible when standing on high ground, or making the viking fighter form transformation only work once, etc, etc...
    I can give silly examples like that all day, but i wont. ;)

12. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

the thing is that zerglings doesn't suck without out cliff jumping, they didn't have it in sc1 and you can hardly say they were useless without it. cliff jumping could be simply considered a bonus when they are on the high ground, like when other units are on the high ground they get 30% evasion, the zergling will also get the jumping down bonus.

13. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    30% evasion is´nt as effective as cliffjumping for the most basic and massable unit there is.

and bonuses needs to get negative compensations, otherwise it would be like making marines costs 25 minerals as a bonus. And, if marines were to costs half the price, they would probably be half as powerful. The same think with cliff jumping zerglings. They will get slower and get a lower attack ratio.

14. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

evasion is not as powerful because it's free, the zergling jumping down needs to be researched which also means it's not available until middle/late game, where lots of other much more powerful mechanics becomes available

15. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    powerful mechanics that are useful in all of their situations yes, but there is not a upgrade for reavers in sc1 that makes it damage more when on low ground, or a upgrade in sc2 that makes reapers time bombs do more damage when thrown from high ground. get it?

16. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

high/low ground is only one specific layer in the whole game's dynamics, there are units that does much more damage anti-air than anti-ground and vice versa. this would be the same concept, it's basically a one way barrier, what's so imbalanced about that?

17. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    i have already explained you this. Units that does more damage against air units than against ground will not do different damage based on if they stand on high or low or mid ground. they ALWAYS have the extra damage against air units, OK? What i am saying is that zerglings should ALWAYS have cliffjump or NEVER.

I am NOT explaining this any more

18. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

hey man, don't get upset, i get what you are trying to explain but your argument doesn't sway me as i can't see its logic so i can't agree with you. lets just agree it degree ok? ;)

19. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    i am not getting upset :p my fingers are just getting tired from trying to make you agree :-\

please just read my previous posts... dont you think that reaper bombs doing more damage when thrown from higher is silly? it is the same principle with zerglings here, they would be more effective when coming from higher ground.
    And because of this, they have to be tweaked so that they are even WEAKER( :eek:) than before, and they were already really weak ^_^

The zerglings dont LOOSE anything from being on lower ground, they are normal zerglings then, but on higher ground they can swarm down and kick ass (i would of course enjoy this as a upgrade in the campaign as suggested) , and they would therefore be tweaked as i said above.

my main point is; zerglings are weak enuff.

20. -Behemoth

-Behemoth New Member

What would be the difference if they had to walk up a ramp?
    they would be less useful there compared to flat terrain
    your SUPPOSED to use the terrain to your advantage
    what your saying as far as i can tell is that it is illogical to have them jump down but not up, but consider this:
    is it stupid that an scv can only heal mechanical units?
    or that some special ablilities only effect specific units instead of all of them as a whole?
    its just an added tactic to the overall gameplay, thrown in to give experienced and skilled players an edge.
    generaly experienced and skilled players will use the terrain to their advantage
    this ablility is just an added battle tactic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.