1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colossus

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by -LT-, Nov 7, 2007.

Colossus

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by -LT-, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Darth_Bane

Darth_Bane Moderator

Seattle, Washington USA
    Yes this isn't new to me thats why the colossus can't attack air units because it would knock them out of the sky pretty fast. The Colossus is now officially the ultamite infantry destructomatron.

2. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    I wonder how effective the colossus will be against buildings. My bet is that it would have some kind of lowered damage rate. Something like it would only do 60% damage to buildings, since 144 would mean that building would't last long enough for the enemy to fight back without losing valuable buildings.

3. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I think vikings + tanks will be the counter for colossi, you can send marines infront to absorb damage.

But think about this, marine = 55 hp, 144 / 55 = 2.6, so it shouldnt kill more than 2 marines per burst, thats not even counting healing, it could end up being only one marine. And a ghost has 100hp now, it may not even be able to kill 1 ghost.

4. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    I seriously hope medics won't heal as ridiculously fast as in Brood War.

5. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    I agree, he M&M was hard to beat becuase the medics healed faster than static defences could do damage. 4 marines in a bunker were about the only defences that could actually kill a marine being healed.

6. Unentschieden

Unentschieden New Member

Karune mentioned that a Colossus could kill the current phase cannon in 7 seconds. It is comparativly weak against installations but still do amazing damage.

7. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    But I had also heard that it destroys a Nexus in 34 seconds.

The damage seems out of proportion unless the Cannon has been significantly strengthened.

7 seconds for a Cannon is a lot, but only 34 seconds for a Nexus? That's pretty good against a Nexus one on one.

8. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Protoss defenses are very weak though. How long does it take the colossus to Kill a bunker of missile turret?

34 seconds for a nexus! Are you sure? That seems frighteningly low

9. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    I agree, and as everyone knows, protoss won't be building only one of them. If one gets to your Nexus, more than likely others aren't far behind. 34 seconds seems too short. I could be the MS Planet Cracker being that fast, by the colossus's regular attack!

10. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

that means if you have 5 colossi, you could destroy the enemys nexus/cc in just 6 seconds

11. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

thats why i think defenses in SC2 will be around the main building as opposed to the entrance like it was in SC1.

12. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    I agree, defences will be more centralized in sc2 that they were in sc. In sc, defences were placed in choke points while the rest of the base was relatively weak.

Now with all the stealth units and base raiders, choke points can easily be avoided. Cliffs will have to be guarded more heavily due to colossi and reapers. As well as zerg, since more than likely, they will also be getting a base raider as well to keep the game balanced.

13. Shadow Templar

Shadow Templar New Member

What I found interesting about all that info Karune gave us was how the colossus targeting works. It sounds that if you micro it right, you can constantly sweep across a group of Marines and kill them rather quickly.

Although I am confused about something. Does it do 144 damage per second or over a time period?

edit: for anyone interested where all this info comes from, check this thread, there is about 1 or 2 Karune responses per page
    http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?FN=sc2-general&T=68983&P=1

14. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    It does 144 damage over time. 144 per second would be way over powered ecause not even tanka and bunkers would be able to do much damage before they die.

15. Shadow Templar

Yeah, I thought 144 damage per second would be too much...

So all that leaves is a guess on how long the beam lasts/ how long a beam cycle is... my guess would be 12 or 6 seconds. 12 because it is the square root of 144, and 6 seconds because it is half of twelve and makes for a more reasonable damage per second of 24. That isn't quite a "vaporizing" number, seeing as that is 2 to 3 seconds per marine, put it is still powerful none the less.

here I am rambling on to myself when most of this has already been brought up.... I humor myself sometimes....

16. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    24/sec sounds reasonable... I mean, that's only ONE colossus, right? :)
    All you need is 2 or more colossi and they will tear them up in 1 sec.
    (if you concentrate fire, that is. :p And you shouldn't.)

17. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    If your really good at it, you can keep sweeping the beam by clicking on different units firing at you do do maximum damage to all enemies.

18. Shadow Templar

Yes, theoretically, if you had two colossi and a line of Marines firing at them and you micro right, you could almost take them all out at the same time. Have each colossus start at one end of the line and sweep to the other end and then back again. IF the beam moves slow enough, you should be able to kill all the Marines in one cycle, maybe..... it depends.....

p.s. Eon, why does your post count say leet?

19. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    Because I had 1337 posts. 1337=leet, and the forums uses the word leet for anything with the number 1337. I'm not sure how leet originated, anyone know?

20. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    you mean how it means "elite"?