1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

colossus beam red or blue?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by bazzwano, Jun 16, 2007.

colossus beam red or blue?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by bazzwano, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Broken_Heart

Broken_Heart Member

I think blue is better. Most collosus like machines in other movies/games shoots blue laser. For example in War of the Worlds.

Edit: Wow! ArchLimit, our sig is so cool. That thor is even better than Blizzards.

2. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

I think first off the creator of the post should poll this one up. I think it's a really good question and Blizzard should hear this one out.

I'm a little undecided right now. I personally have always liked blue for everything that's protoss but at the same time the Warp ray already has a long blue beam and the variety MAY outdo the aesthetic quality of the blue itself in my opinion.

Okay, quickest change of mind ever, I still go with Blue. A red laser is too much of an "ordinary laser" to me. I mean, every laser you see on Earth is basically red. I think blue makes it more unique to the Protoss and alien-like.

3. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

see in the new blizz demo the blue lasers of the warp rays together with red lasers of the colossus looks NICE and COOL. i can imagine both to have blue lasers...BORING!

4. grrrr...

grrrr... New Member

lets make it pink! pink rules!!!! jk : )

5. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

well maby it should just be the color of the team your on like the zelots with their pink blades :p

6. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    They could do things with the beams other than mess with their colors. It would be cool to have the Colossus fire a beam that the owner (and allies) sees as red or blue... or their own color, but is actually invisible, with a powerful ripple effect on the background, when viewed by an enemy. Real lasers (the Colossus' 'thermal lance' is admittedly probably not an actual laser) travel through the air invisibly: you only see the color when they hit something, so it would add to realism. The fact that the beam is barely visible, et extremely destructive would add to both effect and strategy. When the unit is attacking form maximum range, from, say, a cliff, the victim would not be able to immediately b able to tell what is hitting them, to the Colossus would be, in its own way, stealthy. Also, the latent power expressed by those ripples would help instill a sense of fear in the player being attacked.

At any rate, there are a lot of things Blizzard could do with the effect to accomplish whatever they're trying to do.

7. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    Yeah Protoss Psi power is blue

8. Quanta

Quanta New Member

I say blue, and I also don't like the team color pylons and zealot psi blades. That said, if they don't change those back to blue, then I like the idea of the colossus's beam also be team color also the warp ray's beam, the immortals and cannon's plasma balls and all other protoss attacks. Either all of it blue or all of it team color not mixed. I perfer blue but at the least I want it consistant.

9. -LT-

-LT- New Member

I like the blue beam better.

10. Gah345

Gah345 New Member

this topic seems like the tip of the psi power color controversy

i kinda like the idea of the red color, they were said to be THERMAL lances NOT channeled beams of psi power

but I understand where those who say that they should be blue are coming from
    The blue used to be a distinctive mark of the protoss weaponry.
    In starcraft 1 just about every protoss weapon was that bright blue and the orangy red was the more explosive color of terran firepower

but heres where it gets tricky .... what about the new change making pylons the color of the team?
    It seemed like pylons emitted a field of psi energy ... should that be blue?

And what about the team color zealot blades? they too use the warrior's psi energy
    In my opinion, i like the idea of having green or red bladed zealots but when you think about it, does it make sense?

i think that if a zealot's psi blades are green then wouldnt all the psi in everything else on that team? wouldnt then an archon be in a glowing ball of green psi energy?

again on the other hand, psi energy isnt described as something local to one team of protoss. I saw it as more of single form of energy that flowed through all protoss, supporting the push to return to all psi energy being the color blue

I think that if zealot blades are going to be a color other than blue, so should all the other psi energy in that team's buildings / units

as for the colossus, I am fine with the new orangy thermal lances,
    Its different, think, just because the protoss often use psi energy, it doesnt mean every piece of there machinery and weaponry does

11. -LT-

-LT- New Member

You're right. But maybe the colossus beam should be the color of the team?

12. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

The team color is cool, but having purple beams?? I think I like blue better. All the other Toss wepons are blue, so why not? I also noticed that SCV engine things are blue . I liked the red. It made it seem more Terranish. Protoss=Blue Terran=Red... Uh Zerg=...Mass destruction??

13. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Blargech. Red Terran are the dominion. That makes me want to shoot myself and a nearby Zergling in the foot.

I always liked Teal, Blue, and White for the Terran.

14. SirBaron

SirBaron New Member

@10-Neon: Well, the Tripods in the War of the Worlds (the novel by H.G Wells) originally had invisible heat rays, but the movie adaptions added visible beams (as you surely know). I think it's just for the "coolness" factor, even though it would arguably be more innovative, and perhaps cooler, to just see ripples in the air (like when sitting by a fire and trying to watch objects through the flames) albeit it should be seen so for both enemy and ally.

15. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

Well well well,,, this is the 1st psychiatric question that ive read on the forums... actually the poll is an easy way of telling a persons personality coz we all know what can we say about the colors red and blue... but if we will base it on the protoss's race personality, they definitely had to be blue.. unless their using different energy source from the warp rays....

maybe the designer of the colossus wanted to make it blue but rather changed it to red to make it a little less more of a ground warp ray (good move ^_^)

my vote goes for red coz judging just by the sound of its name, it sure wouldnt be fit to wield the "good force power" hahahaha it really deserves to stay that way to symbolize its threatening power, passion and rage.. (much like the darkjedis) which makes me wonder if the Darktemplars are the engineers of this colossal unit.. ;D

16. Space Pirate Rojo

Canada, eh?
    I think that the Colossus should have twin red beams, maybe it would be acceptable to have them change depending on team color.

Pink Protoss actually look decent by the way.

17. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

maybe a new map editor will let players decide on these things right??? now that'd be cool

18. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

i think after blizzard read this thread they created an option to change "all" the stuff to teamcolor so players can choose themselfs

19. manaplague

manaplague New Member

I agree with this guy, with the new coloring this just seems right

20. Space Pirate Rojo

Canada, eh?
    I'm hoping Battle.Net (the new one) will let you customize your army.
    And custom colours that you make using sliders and whatnot.
    ...I'd put flame decals on Siege Tanks. BACK ON TOPIC...

Pink Colossi really don't seem that menacing.
    They shoot rainbows and love at you.