1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cobra

Discussion in 'Terran' started by StormCrow, Jul 20, 2007.

Cobra

Discussion in 'Terran' started by StormCrow, Jul 20, 2007.

1. paragon

paragon Guest

That's the absolute dumbest reason for something needing a change. ZOMG IT CHANGESED THE ASPECTSFSSAGADHDSFASFASZOR

no offense

2. burkid

burkid New Member

paragon, you make me laugh.

personally, i dont mind the name cobra, its better than some things they could have named it.

3. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

the cobras are really expensive compared to vultures

4. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Christ yeah actually. What was it? 150/100?

5. paragon

paragon Guest

It's as if it's a completely different unit with a completely different purpose :O
    which it is...
    WOW it HOVERS must be the vultures f**king replacement.

Sorry, no. The Reaper is the vulture replacement. ZOMG thats not named after a bird either. We should change the name of that to Peregrine or better yet, Maltese F**king Falcon.
    The Reaper is fast
    The Reaper is anti-small units/immortal
    The Reaper has a f**king mine
    The Vulture is fast
    The Vulture is anti-small units
    The Vulture has a f**king mine
    The Cobra is anti-armor/anti-air
    The Cobra is relatively slow
    The Cobra DOESN'T have a mine

6. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Paragon calm down. Just... christ.

7. paragon

paragon Guest

see, you think i'm actually angry or whatever. In truth I think it's hilarious

8. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Well.. Cobras are vehicles... That is mostly why everone thinks its a vulture replacement. It looks like a moter cyclish unit only except I can't see the guy on it. Pretty sure that it isn't looks like it is a moter cycle with a top. And I HATE how they say that the cobra is a fast unit... Can't even compare to a vulture. If you make the cobra faster then a zealot then you can just shoot while driving away. The zealot charge is hella fast muhahaha.

9. burkid

burkid New Member

this comes down to the same thing that happened with the dragoon.

lorewise, the immortal replaces the dragoon, but functionality wise, the stalker is the replacement.

lorewise(im assuming) the cobra replaces the vulture, but functionality wise, the reaper is the replacement.

10. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Names I liked so far are Raptor and Jackal. My personal suggestion is Sidewinder. Cobra doesn't sound right.

But the biggest change that the cobra needs is a speed boost. Stop-and-shoot with vulture speed is superior to move-and-shoot at cobra speed(which is a speed directly comparable to the Thor in some way, how sad and pathetic is that?).

11. paragon

paragon Guest

It's not a vulture. It's not a vulture replacement. It is a light tank. Not a hover cycle.
    I'm sure if you have a thor and some cobras come up to it that you just want the enemy cobras to circle the thor with complete immunity because they will outrun the turning speed of the thor with no problem.

12. burkid

burkid New Member

vultures did like 20 concussive right? so 5 to most things. Cobras do 10 damage +25 to units with the armor class 'armored'. that right there shows that vultures and cobras are completly different.

13. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

yeah i think before people saw it in action, they were just really hung up on how the chassis is somewhat similar and that it hovered. probably stuck in peoples' minds as a replacement even though it really isn't

14. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I gives a rat's ass what the people think the Cobra is supposed to be, I'm talking about the move-and-shoot mechanic itself. Vulture is the best example for comparison because it was the fastest ranged ground unit.

When the move-and-shoot was revealed, I immediately thought what a cool idea, and how it would be deadly in the hands of skilled players with excellent micro. I don't know if the Cobra described as a fast unit was false info, but I was under that impression. Basically as of right now, the move-and-shoot mechanic is rather unimpressive, and the over slowness of the Cobra's movement speed takes away from it's micro potential.

Why would you bother circling a Thor when one of your Cobras(in fact, the same one) will always be taking hits? You might as well save yourself the trouble and stay still, it's the same thing. Actually, staying still then microing targeted Cobras away will probably be a better idea.

If Cobras changing the hella slow movement speed and move-and-shoot mechanic to fast ground speed and stop-and-shoot will make it more like a vulture, so be it. It is a superior mechanic in terms of ranged micro, no matter what unit it belongs to.

I considered the possible benefit of when Cobras take on melee units, but even then I don't think it will be all that. The exact worth of move-and-shoot vs melee remains to be seen and tested more extensively.

15. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

shooting while moving is not a new mechanics, tanks could do it in starcraft 1

16. TerranGod

TerranGod New Member

vultures > cobras

i think everyone has to agree with that

17. Indigent

Indigent New Member

No they can't. I don't know why they said that on wiki. Even though it aims it's cannon at them while moving it doesn't shoot and the only way it can move and shoot is to micro it. Is that what you meant?
    Yeah, I think the cobra should be different.

18. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
    ... Well..isn't it great having Cobras able to shoot air?? they replaced the mine with air and Reapers have it now at least we are still able to use the mine who cares that the Cobra don't have a mine, when there's a mine there's a mine nothing different but what's different is that a different unit has a mine SO WHAT we still can use mine with a cheaper unit and Cobras are able to attack airs isn't that good? yes it is good. The Cobra's weapon is very powerful as well and yes it is slow but Blizzard is still progressing the game and still concentrating the Terrans just like the commentator said 'Nothing here today is FINAL'

19. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    No matter how much you wanna believe that, that is not true. This has been discussed. Tanks only deceivingly appear to do so because of how they were animated, they're cannon/turret(whatever it is really called) pivot and turn to aim at their engaged target during attack cooldown. You can not keep a siege tank attacking continuously without stopping.

The reaper's "mine" is also closer to a grenade in function, it doesn't function like a mine in that whether or not it is triggered or not after activation has no effect on whether it goes off or not. But I personally don't really care that cobra has no mine and that the reaper mine is different.

20. Indigent

Indigent New Member

I thought that the mine was going to be a bomb... :( I thought you could plant them on units and buildings.