1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carrier Ideas

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by LordKerwyn, Aug 6, 2007.

Carrier Ideas

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by LordKerwyn, Aug 6, 2007.

1. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Eh maybe but it still looks alot better than the SC1 carrier did and on the list of units that need a new model (*cough* Nomad *cough*) the carrier is not ads bad as some units.

2. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Why does the carrier suck? It doesn't suck. I think it looks cool and now it's bigger.

3. DontHate

DontHate New Member

let say the carrier can carry the amount of 2 prisms but has to be unfull with interceptors.

4. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

almost as strong as a nuke is really balanced ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

5. kehmdaddy

kehmdaddy New Member

Kamikaze interceptors sounds pretty nifty, I like that one, but I'm not sure it feels Protoss enough. They're not ones to give up their units and warriors' lives so easily. I have a crazy and terribly over powered idea, but I'm going to share it anyhow. What if the Carriers could deploy like the Phase Prisms do, but instead of just giving a temporary psi field, make them deploy into a Nexus. You'd have to bring the probes along, or we could go even crazier and let the Interceptors be probes, but that might be fun. This just popped into my head because I thought it would be a cool animation haha.

6. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

interceptors are no different from scarabs

but if a carrier could become a nexus, it would have to have the same build time and cost 400 minerals.

7. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

I like the idea of Kamikaze inters and the inters a machines any way they're not protos them selves click on a carrier it say build intersepters.

8. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

All carriers should have a Kamikaze for buildings only like the ganthor did

9. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Time for a great necro post. Since this topic was originally about coming up with new ideas for carriers here is an idea that me and ych9 came up with that should hopefully reignite discussion.

Shield Redirect: The Carrier gains the ability to redirect some of its energy and shielding to either reinforce its ground to air shileds or its air to air shields.

The ability will cost 5-25 energy to activate and it will continue to drain 1-3 energy/sec. The Carrier will gain a 25-50% damage from either ground or air attacks and the Carrier will take 15-30% more damage from the oposite direction.

The ability will have a toggle so the shields can be set to air reinforce, ground reinforce, or no reinforcement. When you change from one setting to another the ability will have a 3-7 second cooldown before you can change settings again. (It should be noted that the shield is off when set to no reinforcement so the Carrier can regain its energy also changing it to any active form will cost the activation cost not just when you go from no reinfrocement to an active version)

Fianlly the Carrier should have 100-200 energy to power this ability.

P.S. I left all of the numbers as a range of values because they would need to be fine tuned for balance.

Also if anyone has any good suggestions on how modify this ability or a another suggestion for the Carrier entirely please post because as of right now the carrier could use a modification so it doesnt end up exactly like it was in SC1.

10. ekulio

ekulio New Member

I do like the idea of having more than one type of interceptor. Probably only two types though, a normal one like the original and a bomber that has higher ground attack but no AA. I suppose you could have one that is solely AA too but then things start getting kinda redundant.

I just always wondered why I had to tell the carrier to build interceptors. Of course I want to max out the intercepters. Why the heck wouldn't I? If there's only one type of interceptor than the carrier should just come with them and respawn them a few seconds after they get blown up. If they get blown up, which they never do since everybody just attacks the carrier itself anyway.

11. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

if you have ever played the toss then you know it takes a hell of a long time to make the and interceptors thats what made them a balanced unit if you have them come with them then its either going to take a lot longer to make them or they will gimp the carrier itself.

12. ekulio

ekulio New Member

What are you talking about? Interceptors take like no time to build.

13. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    i think he means all the interceptors and that indeed takes some time, and yes i agree that there should be more than one type of interceptors, nothing too big tho, the current ones(from the original starcraft i mean ), a bigger type that deals more damage but you hold less, and i think even a kamikaze type but you can only make, lets say 2-3 per 30-60 seconds.

please dont shoot me down for suggesting the kamikaze interceptor, i know that one is a bit touchy.

14. DontHate

DontHate New Member

i'm thinking of a robotic fighter a little smaller than the predator that is controlled by the player that can only be produced by the carrier. It would cost more than the interceptor and it would be more deadly, maybe give it an ability to protect the carrier in some way, sort of like the ramora and the shark and whatnot. Say the interceptor u buy can fire around but also it has an ability where it transfers it's shield poitns to the carrier's shield points or something.

15. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I don't like the Shield idea, but I do like the idea of having to commit Carriers to one of two types, either ground or air typed interceptors. You cannot build different types of interceptors from this Carrier.

16. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I think you should be able to mix the interceptor types but doing so will be less effective than having it filled with just one type

17. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

carrier should be a mobile stargate, warping in it's own units, say a quarter as strong as the ones made from a real stargate. lets them have a use after they're full

18. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I like the idea of Protoss Carriers not really having that many upgrades, only really the Interceptor Capacity, but still being a strong unit. If there was to be an upgrade or new mechanic, I would prefer it to be something a bit more subtle. Maybe when the Interceptors are turning round to go for another 'bombing' run, they could fire at any enemy units that are directly in front of them. This would pretty much mean that they can a kind of area of effect attack, without it actually being an area of effect attack.
    Also, what if the Interceptors were able to increase their range? At the moment I think that they can only shoot around about once per 'bombing' run, so if they had an increased range ability it could attack twice or even three times before having to turn around.

19. Justicator

Justicator New Member

I am also the opinion that the carrier in Devensive to be developed am.
    The idea of the Harden Ground Shields of the Tempest pleases me,but me at all it does not please its air Shields loses with the activation of these super Shields.
    It would be better:

1.That the activation of the Harden Shields manual is. (as of Footmans from Warcraft 3)

2.With the activation of the Harden Shields is not the carrier its air Shields lires, but its Bonuse (Upgrades) are to be on minus
    (-1). That is is called if an air unit the carrier in Ground Harden Shield mode attacks the unit the carrier more plasmas Shield POINTS will in such a way take .Counting is as the Defence on a unit however on minus (with the Harden Ground Shield mode). At place fewer plasmas Shields to take take in the Attack the Damage more than the original Damage.
    For example :
    -Viking attacks the carrier with 20 Damage and the carrier has 0 Plasama Shield bonus (Upgrade), the carrier loses 20 plasma Shields POINTS.
    -Viking attacks the carrier with 20 Damage and the carrier has 1 plasma Shield bonus (Upgrade), the carrier loses 19 plasma ShieldPoints.
    -Viking attacks the carrier in Harden Ground Shields mode with 20 Damage and the carrier has -4 plasma Shields bonus (Upgrade), the carrier loses 24 plasma Shield POINTS.

During the Aktivation of the Harden Ground Shields becomes the air Shields =

Level 0 Plasma Shields= -4
    Level 1 Plasma Shields= -3
    Level 2 Plasma Shields= -2
    Level 3 Plasma Shields= -1

3.During the activation of the Harden Ground Shields lowers the move speed the carrier with -25%.

4.It also that becomes more logical the Carriere 150HitPoints/300PlasmaShields and not up to now and in Starcraft 300HitPoints/150PlasmaShields.
    It sees also logical from because the carrier a flying carries surface is and not so massif like other units. And because of the carrier of winy hit POINTS and more PlasmaSchielde are to have.

5.If the plasma Shielde Bonuse (Upgrade) on 4-3-2-1 are should they to graphic more weakly out see. For example a Viking attacks itself the carrier, the plasma Shields is weakly and with strives the attack stopping. Except that thereby the plasmas Shield is to look film more brightly and.

20. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

youre a cool new member justicator