1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carrier Ideas

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by LordKerwyn, Aug 6, 2007.

Carrier Ideas

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by LordKerwyn, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Self destruct is when you blow YOURSELF up. Kamakazee is when you crash your plane into another plane carrying extra explosives. But it usually just blows it up, but gamewise, I bet it could do nuke damage with a lot less area affect.
    Besides, we already had kamakazee interceptors, they were called scarabs except they didnt fly..

2. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    You wouldnt want the self distuct to do nuke grade damge because you wouldnt want players to make carriers to blow them it should more be like a last ditch move. (assuming blizzard actauly implemented it)

3. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Someone said earlier that they had to have like 15 kills that is why I said nuke, if not then it should do like scourge damage (Even though the carrier is way bigger it doesn't carry anything that will make it blow up bigger except itself.)

4. Ych

Ych New Member

I like the Afterburner ability very much. This would of course, require a lot of energy so that it isn't easily abused. You would only use it when the situation arises but when used right, it could be very deadly. Something like 150 mana sounds pretty good. Afterburner would last around 5 seconds or so.

As for the suicide ability, I think it is a decent idea. After Tassadars heroic act, the young Protoss are likely to follow his heoric actions. But the problem rises in the balance issue. If you make this too weak, then no one is going to suicide because Carriers are already strong units. Suiciding would not be worth it if you can just stay for a bit and attack with your Carriers. On the other hand, if you make this too strong, it would totally imbalance the game.

Say for example, you play 2vs2. One of you slowly tech up to Carriers with the suicide ability. Then you just charge in and slam on their important buildings. Since Carriers have soo much HP, they won't be brought down in time. They will always hit their target before they are taken down. You don't really even need to suicide the buildings. You can just attack move and kill most of the units, and when the time is right, just suicide the important buildings. That would basically be GG right there. As for the post above, Carriers can rack up 15 kills pretty easily. And once they do that, the problem arises again of been too powrful.

So yea, although I think the suicide ability is a decent idea, I think it would be hard to balance something like that for the Carriers simply because they can suicide free anytime they want because of their insane HP.

5. Ghost

Ghost New Member

On the robotic interceptor, yes, I said that therefore i fully agree.

On the cooldown rate: OHHHHH, ok, i understand now.

6. Indigent

Indigent New Member

I just said up there someone said that they had to get 15 kills or something..

7. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    yea that's the point. we can bring back the reaver somewhat with my suggestion.

8. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    how much damage do you think a carrier/fullyupgraded carriers can do in 5 secs with its interceptors?

EDIT: while i like the idea of bringing reavers sorta back that sort of an ability would make carriers nearly staple units.

9. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Interceptors don't have build time, they just come out.

10. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Well, i'd say it would deal out around what, 80-100dmg?

11. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    The SC1 carrier's interceptors had a build time im not sure about SC2 but it should be the same

EDIT: Well my idea would be if a carrier kamakazied it should porbally do about how dmg it would do in 10 secs in a small AOE. Expecially if the kamakazie was similar to Tassadars which was a semi thick beam of dmg and really an explosion.

12. Indigent

Indigent New Member

It said that they did not have build times, you just click on them and they are in your seeker.

13. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Well in one of the blizzcon images GuiMontag posted it showed the interceptors cost 25 minerals and took 17 units of time to build

14. Ghost

Ghost New Member

What do you mean by Seeker?

15. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Oops, sometimes I accidentaly call intercepters/ carriers seekers... I don't know why lol.

16. dxreaper

dxreaper Guest

My idea for a new carrier ability would be to possibly share interceptors so they could transfer shield energy between carriers. Maybe if you had a fleet of carriers, instead of each carrier being picked off one by one, the total shields of the group will decrease gradually.
    Another idea I have is for the fleet of carriers to create a shield matrix with their interceptors. Since each interceptor has shields, maybe they could create a giant bubble shield that grows stronger as more interceptors are added. Of course, other toss units would be able to fire from inside the shield to make it of any use.

17. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    While i like the idea dxreaper can imagine how hard it would be to set and how strong a fleet of 12 carriers would be beyond what they alreayd are?

18. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

the kamikaze swarm would do about the same amount of damage per interceptor as 4 attacks from an interceptor. in the old game, that would be 192 damage damage per full carrier, 288 when fully upgraded, and 24/36 damage per interceptor. doesn't sound so overpowered to me.

pr, since it's going to be an explosion of dark templar energy, it might do as much damage as an attack from a dark templar

19. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

re read my idea.. i like the number of kills required before the carriers can self destruct. to avoid imba.

"yes i agree carrier you should get new skills and abilities or they will be boring and not exciting to use in starcraft 2.

carrier should have the ability to charge themselves and explode damaging all nearby units. but only carriers who reached 15 kills can do this ultimate. we can see in the status the carrier has already killed at least 15 units, and the carriers form/model will change or glow and the ultimate button will now be active. Cool

but ofcourse you will only use it strategically and if there are no other options left like if the carrier is about to die. or you can do it anytime you want.

theres an information in the interface that let us see how many units a certain unit has killed. so adding my idea will make it usefull. ^^

yes a weaker version of that of tassadar's garinthor explosion."

20. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

kamikaze interceptors is kinda imba. i mean you dont have to build like more than 2 carriers to take out a command center easily . you just max up the interceptors of the carriers then kamikaze it on the cc dealing huge damage. goodbye cc, and you can retreat your carriers back and losing only interceptors which you can always bought back. =\

carriers needs to be in fleets to look good and fleets with kamikaze ready is imba. or maybe not ^^