Can The Immortals not attack air units?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by DarkTemplol, Dec 23, 2007.

Can The Immortals not attack air units?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by DarkTemplol, Dec 23, 2007.

1. ZeR[g]LiNg

ZeR[g]LiNg New Member

The Cobra is out, the Thor is in, but it's not a "replacement" in the ways you guys are thinking of it since the Cobra and the Thor do such very different things.

We are just testing this idea for the Thor. In general I prefer to shield you guys from whacky ideas like this because I know that some of our ideas will be bad, and then you guys will get very grumpy with us for pitching you bad ideas. =(

But here's what I can tell you about the Thor in the current build:
    - He is big, but the art is smaller than what we showed in the last demo, so he takes up less space and he can path a little better.
    - He turns fairly quickly. Turn speed is not a balance factor.
    - He has a lot of health (400 right now).
    - He's not super expensive (250/200 right now).
    - He has a good bonus vs. armored units on the ground and he tends to waste a lot of damage on small units.
    - His AA missiles are effective but not crushing. You can over-whelm him with enough air. His pathing size does limit his mobility when trying to chase fast moving air units.
    - His shoulder guns are not currently in opperation. If we keep the current design the art will change.
    - He does great against Stalkers, and several secret Terran and Zerg units. He also does well against most (but not all) air units.
    - He is balanced so that if you kill him and then leave him disabled while he burns down you will do pretty well. If you fight both the Thor and the Disabled Thor then things tend to go pretty well for the Thor (for cost).
    - The current Thor is countered by range, mobility or certain powerful anti-armor units.

Right now he's kind of fun. I don't know if he's fun enough for StarCraft 2 or not. That will take a few more weeks at least.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    Chat with Devs: The Thor has been the unit that just hasnt quite fit in, in terms of role, but it might have found its own little place it can call home. After the Devs tried out several things with the Thor, including making it a super unit, they have now decided to have it replace the Cobra, as the heavy and air unit counter. Additionally, they may be adding a new mechanic, in which the Thor will need to be killed twice, once to make it immobilized, due to its large size, and then the second time to kill it for good. When immobilized, the Thor will still be able to fire at ground and air units. Additionally, while the Thor is immobilized, a SCV can repair it back to full health, having it regain mobility.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    Cavez and Karune said those things, respectively. it can be inferred that the thor is built from the factory After all, how could a Tier Three unit be a replacement for a Tier two unit, and why would a Tier two Thor be built by an scv? It's no longer a "super Unit"

The Immortal cannot attack air.

2. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    They don't even need to attack air since the Protoss have the Stalker they can focus the Immortal on heavy ground units/assult

3. DarkTemplol

DarkTemplol New Member

It still doesn't specifically say it's built from the Factory. And there's no reason to think a Teir 2 unit can't be built from the ground up. I think that it'll still be SCV built, but hey, I could be wrong.

4. Rex

Rex New Member

Then Terran is the only race with the most Anti-air? Thor, Marines, Ghosts, ect. What I'm saying is they have more units that can attack air, so if they don't have a strong anti-air, they could always use Marines, or ghosts, or w/e. I'm talking ground units only.

5. DarkTemplol

DarkTemplol New Member

Most units that attack air =/= best anti air.

6. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    It seems to me Terrans actuall have the worse AA since they have no mid level GTA unit.

7. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    They always have marines. They're pretty effective even at that stage. In numbers with medic support mutas, pheonixes, and banshees would be counterable. You could always just use the Vikings with them anyways.

8. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    yes but those are still early game units.  More effective  at killing light units and mid damage but fewer units is easier to manage than many small damage units

9. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    True, but it's still pretty effective. Just look at the Zerg from SC1. They only had 1 GTA unit that was a tier 1 unit with only decent damage and hp at best and yet it was able to take down heavy capital ships in the late game.

10. Maelstrom

Maelstrom New Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Yeah but Hydras were cheap and could be heavily massed. I don't see terrans massing any gta units, I mean, they could, but It would be very cost/time expensive methinks. (Except maybe for the marines but they can be annihilated in the lategame)
    Regarding the Immortal, I think It's a shame that it loses its gta attack, because I personally loved the Dragoon's versatility, anyway this is a new unit so I guess it's ok that they removed it. You know, just to make things different from SC1.

11. DarkTemplol

DarkTemplol New Member

But by the Time late game rolls around, you'll have better units to counter air. Until then, Marines serve nicely, seeing as how few ATG attacks are very strong during mid-game.

12. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Immortal is now heavy assult, the Stalker is the well rounded unit. You'll probably get Stalker before they can get dangerous air units and Stalker will last thru-out the game so I think Protoss has got it down.

13. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Stalkers are actually more raider-type units. They have low health and high attack, so they definitely can't hold against heavy air units without support and/or good micro. You actually get immortals and stalkers at nearly the same time as well.

14. DarkTemplol

DarkTemplol New Member

Like I had said though, ATG attacks aren't really that damaging, so chances are that Stalkers will do nicely.

15. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    But we have Banshees, Plasma Torpedoes and Planet Crackers nowadays. The AtG is getting stronger that in SC1 IMO. Although I agree with you, stalkers will do fine. Even though they are "stealthy" and blinks around, they have as much hp as A SC1 Dragoon. Not sure though, but pretty sure. :p

16. DarkTemplol

DarkTemplol New Member

True, but like I had said, other than the Banshee, those are Late Game type attacks, and the Banshee doesn't deal damage to multiple units anymore, (I don't think), so Marines can handle them, assuming that they have good numbers. And if not, Vikings can take them down.

But I do agree, ATG is getting stronger, which I like.

17. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

the banshee stil dose aoe. (unless blizzard has changed it with out telling us.)

18. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    You get Immortals a bit later then stalkers. And what do you mean with heavy air? If you mean Battle Cruisers, at that time you will have AA. It really looks like you will need Air vs Air lategame. And the stalkers are at least very good vs mech, so vs Protoss/Terran they will act as Dmg-dealers IMO.

And i think marines will last until lategame, where the Terrans will need to have air by themself to fight Air. So SC2 will not be like SC-BW where the battles where on the ground, it will be on the ground and in the Air.

19. DarkTemplol

DarkTemplol New Member

I remember reading somewhere that they no longer deal splash, but I could have been mistaken.

20. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

i hope you can find that report that says the banshee no longer dose aoe.