1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bring Back the Starbase?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Gasmaskguy, Jan 7, 2008.

?

Would you like the Star Base to come back?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Bring Back the Starbase?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Gasmaskguy, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Re: Star Base

Still seems pointless creating air units while moving when you look at the big picture. If you wanted a type of air drop, theres no need planes have wings.

Now can someone answer these questions plz:
    Why produce air units on the move?
    Why not just land a normal Starport then fly it away when done, I'm guessing starport flys at the same speed as other building?
    Wouldn't it be more useful to produce lets-say Siege Tanks on the move?
    How fast should it move?
    Dont you think it would get owned by air units easy?

2. coreyb

coreyb Guest

The star base should have some sort of attack , not alot , maybe like a missle turret or two would be good!

3. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden

Paragon made it for him.

Because otherwise you will loose a bunch of seconds when your newly created air unit has to fly to the front. Remember, it does not only create air units, it maintains them as well. It's not just about creating air units. Its Nano Repair makes it really good in battle.

Because the time it takes to create the units is the longer one, it would never be able to actually be on the move. It would also have to construct a tech lab if it needs to build higher tier units. I think that you cannot convert it into a Star Base until you actually got a tech lab attached to it, and when it transforms, the tech lab is "consumed" into the Star Base, so when it gets airborn, nothing's left on the ground (and the Star Base can build w/e it wants) . And I think it's a wee bit faster than lift-offed buildings. :p

With "it", you mean the Star Base alone. Of course it woulde get owned, just a like a lone, lift-offed barracks. :D You're supposed to protect it with a few air units, just like you protect anything of value.

______________________________________________________________________________

And people, stop asking "why would I need to create air at the front when I can fly them there in an instant?" Because that would be just like me saying "Drop Pods are obsolete, because you can create Marines in your base and fly them there in an instant with a Drop Ship."
    The thing is that Drop Pods, and Star Bases are meant for those situations when you need them real badly, in the middle of a battle. There's no time for flying.

4. Unentschieden

Unentschieden New Member

Nano repairs was on the Nomad. The star base had rearm wich restored a units energy.

5. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden

Are you sure? Well, then it offered Battlecruisers multiple Yamato shots(!), and Nomads multiple Turrets (If they cost energy) .

6. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

Nano-Repair was on the Nomad last I heard, and the Starbase had an energy re-arming ability.

Why produce air units on the move?

As other people in this thread have said, it gives a slight advantage in time. While that may not seem like much, good players will be able to exploit it to their advantage.

Why not just land a normal Starport and then fly away?

There is one extremely good reason I can think of. To build a Battlecruiser for instance, an add-on is required. So you would have to land a Starport, build the add-on, build your ship, fly away, and rebuild the add-on every time. A Starbase would not have to do this, saving an entire minute or two!

Wouldn't it be more useful to produce Siege Tanks on the move?

You could argue either way. A Starbase though makes much more sense to do so rather than a Factory. The Siege Tank would have to fall out of the air or something - impractical.

How fast should it move?

The same speed as the new building speed in Starcraft II, which isn't bad.

Don't you think air units would own it?

Yes. That's why you should keep your fleet around it.

Again, for emphasis, the Starbase is a unique mechanic that would create tons of new strategies. It makes sense for the Terrans to have, and with Repair and/or energy Rearm abilities would make a sweet air force hub.

7. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed

GMG and ninerman you gave me nice insight into the Starbase. I am now for the Starbase as I didn't know it could repair or give back energy whatever, in my eyes it was just a flying Starport with the ability to produce on the move.

This would be very useful with Battle cruisers definitly as they could do more Yamato cannon attacks, I guess the evens out a Super Mothership so I am happy. Now all they need to do is change back the Thor to how it was, add a unit in the Cobras place and role then Terran is complete unit wise.

8. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona

If the starbase actually were a flying aircraft carrier and had the ability to hold smaller air units (Banshee and vikig) and repair them then it might actually be usefull for something

9. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
  10. coreyb

coreyb Guest

Hey yeah it is aye!!! just a terran carrier thats bigger and holds and builds bigger things! :p

11. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand

attack an enemy base with all you'r force do intense damage before having to retreat, fly star base to abyss and rebuild air force, when the remianing enemy army attempts counter attack fly battlecruisers out of abyss on the flank of their base forcing the attacking army to fall back to their now ravaged base...

one example. the point is this is not just a moving base its a base that creates units on the fly, a base to use on your front line to feed the tides of war. no needs for addons, no long distance flying of enourmously slow battlecruisers. seriously by the time my reinforceing bcs fly across the map the battles already lost. Its what i need, a structure that can produce when i free up supply slots onto the frontlines. even after a skirmish as you move to attack. You can addapt your tactics to your enemy quickly.

Great for seiges too have one at the rim of the base and providing your a resource hoarder can turn out endless waves of ships and destroying said ships just frees up supplies for more ships. The enemy pushes through the blockade and attacks your star base with AA simply move it back and continue to produce your own AAAA(anti-anti-air-air).

yea but yamato cannons would have to have a cooldown.

12. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden

I don't think it will have. The repair/rearm will probably be the cool-downed ability.

13. Thalion

Thalion New Member

Since Starbase is upgrade of Starport i don't see need to give it drawbacks to production. It flies WITHOUT its addon, so only one or two basic units will be available (on the other hand larger spaceship ar able to be produced only in space so BC only when lifted off...)

14. leealvin1984

leealvin1984 New Member

bring back the starbase? yes? or no?

who here is in favor of bringing back the starbase? if not the starbase, maybe another floating structure that can build units while floating?

personally, for me, i think the starbase concept is very cool. though as of now, many use to think that it's useless because of the current terran air units. if terrans were to have stronger or more competitive air units other than battlecruisers, i think starbase should be put back into the game. im pretty sure that pro terran users would be able to come up with cool strategies using this mechanic.

what do you guys think?

15. SubTachyon

SubTachyon Guest

Re: bring back the starbase? yes? or no?

Not sure if this is a double post but:
    Actually I never got why Blizzard removed it. It seemed like nice idea, with alot of advatages and disadvantages. I would vote for it to come back.

16. Spacechick

Spacechick New Member

Because it's too hard to balance

17. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure

starbase? link please, never heard of it

forgive me for my insolence

18. BinaryBanshee

BinaryBanshee New Member

It was an evolution of the starport that could build units while floating and auto repair units using energy as well I think. There isn't really a link to it. I think it was just mentioned in one of Karune's Q & A's. There's a thread somewhere where they're all listed in order. If you search for the phrase Starbase in the thread you should find it.

I really think it should be brought back. It completely fit the Terran's mobility characteristic down to a tee and I had already thought of half a dozen interesting uses for it. I don't think it would be hard to balance, you could for example limit the kinds of units that could be produced while it was airborne.

@leealvin1984 do you want to start a poll in the topic to see how many people want to bring it back?

19. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
  20. gtx75

gtx75 New Member

yea, too hard to balance something like that, you can pwn someone easily if you just mass build those and hover them near enemy bases and start building.