Bars and vB Experience

Discussion in 'Forum Information, Questions and Feedback' started by BirdofPrey, May 25, 2008.

Bars and vB Experience

1. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    I'd rather have a stricter (and if need be, automated) system than put even more burden on the staff.

2. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    My point is a computercan't tell who is contributing no matter how complicated their algorithms. You can see this by the fact that people with higher post counts automatically have a higher contribution bar.

So long as the comunuty learns how to use the rep system and it is watched over properly it should work just fine. The key is for people to actually make it mean something

3. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Communism and the reason it fails comes into my mind... :D

OK so long as there are actual penalties for unwarranted powerups (and thanks, if they mean anything), in theory at least, there shouldn't be any problem. Time will tell, as they say.

4. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    The reason we don't moderate power ups is to give the power of opinion to the community. So long as you guys don't give things for things like Christmas and New Year's we should be good.

I think we may start patrolling these a bit more than before but only frivolous power ups will be removed. Now that the option is back we will discuss it.

Thanks again, admin!!! :D

5. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    yes, I've seen several forums that have these same small green blocks that acts as power level, in their forums, and its ok with me, makes no difference to me at all.

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  6. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

The whole thing's very odd though.

7. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    It serves no purpose whatsoever but has numbers on it and you can get your number higher than that other member, what's odd about it?

btw. Where do I petition to change my medal's name to "No Life Award" ?

8. sc2forums

sc2forums Hyperion

Yes, I'll let it run for a month or so and then we will re-evaluate which system to keep/delete. Currently there are 'thanks', 'experience' and 'reputation' which is a bit too much. But we can have them all for now and then get rid of the one (or two) we don't like, and keep what we like. Who knows, people might end up liking all three and we'll end up keeping them all (probably not likely). But it doesn't hurt to trial them in the meantime.

9. Darktemplar_L

Darktemplar_L New Member

Bay Area
    Wow, this is scary... I liked the old forums where we just had power levels...

10. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    How does the system calculate activity? I dont see how mine's only 14%, that's the lowest one ive seen besides the sc2forums's..

11. EatMeReturns

EatMeReturns Happy Mapper Moderator

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    asdf

So pretty much, it looks at the 10 most active people. It averages their post counts. It compares your post count to these post counts. This would normally not work because people started posting at different times and so have different amounts of time to make posts, but since the admin can set it to only include posts from a certain amount of time, it evens everything out. So let's say the admin sets it to 1 day, making it posts per day. The top 10 post counts are 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20. These add up to 155, making the average 15.5 posts per day. Let's say you make 5 posts today. 5/15.5 is about 33/100, so your activity is 33%. With such a low timelimit, your activity will be extremely variable from day to day. However, if the admin makes the time limit too high, such as 1 year, it will not change very much. The 21-day example is good, because that takes in to account the last 3 weeks, which is about as long as it takes for somebody who just joined to decide if they are going to stay or not, and to get their activity going.

I am wondering, what is the time limit set to, admin?

12. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    If that's the case I wonder how could I possibly have 100% activity? Unless it counts SJ posts too

13. sc2forums

sc2forums Hyperion

The limit is 21 days. Please note that since I am not sure we'll be keeping this system, things will not be fully looked as of yet. The awards for example are automatically calculated but it allows for me to manually give out awards, which I will start doing if I know we'll be keeping this system.

14. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    So it does count SJ posts after all. I think that's good as far as measuring activity goes

15. sc2forums

sc2forums Hyperion

Yes, experience counts SJ posts at the moment. It can be changed anytime though. So if we decide not to calculate SJ posts, I can change that and it will automatically recalculate everybody's stats to fix up any previous points awarded for and SJ post.

16. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

I have to say this:
    The reason we didn't stop them was because they got out of hand, not because we didn't care. I take extreme offense at the insinuation that I didn't care enough to address a problem that was easily fixable.

The fact of the matter is that I got so many requests to mediate power level changes that I amended the rules and added #12 here:
    http://www.starcraft2forum.org/forums/showthread.php?t=70
    It got to the point where someone who shall remain nameless complained to me about a single power-down. I referred them to #12, and they asked me to power them up to offset the power down.

Fixing the system and making sure it doesn't get out of hand again starts with the members of the forums, not the mods. Which isn't to say that I am exempt from that grouping, I'm just as guilty as the next guy. But to say that it got out of hand partly because a handful of us mods didn't take the time to mediate the power levels of 1000+ members isn't fair.

I like what you've put in your sig though, it's a great idea and I hope it is heeded.