1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Banshee

Discussion in 'Terran' started by TidalSpiral, Jul 22, 2007.

Banshee

Discussion in 'Terran' started by TidalSpiral, Jul 22, 2007.

1. spark32

spark32 New Member

Haha, I used to wonder about the Wraith hovering too. I also wondered how they land. That third wing jutting from the bottom makes using conventional landing gear a bit hard.

Blizzard should write a fat encyclopedia about Starcraft lore, explaining all of the things that Blizzard never really goes in-depth with and has the fans speculate on. I don't know about the rest of you, but that encyclopedia would be to me what Bibles are to Christians. Haha.

2. burkid

burkid New Member

it doesnt say how they move in space in the manual (mutas and guardians), just that they do.

3. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    My guess would be Banshee are probally normally attached to a battlecrusier while flying through space but they porbally have a number of secondary engines for manuevering in a vacum

4. burkid

burkid New Member

welcome to the forums :)

5. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    The Zerg Travel through Space with the DNA of a Behemoth. A monstrous creature the Overmind absorbed into the Swarm when he was on Zerus the Zerg Planet of Origin. The Behemoth is a creature capable of space travel.
    http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Behemoth

Back on point. The Banshee Propulsion most likely doesn't travel in space, but, the Banshee most likely remains in the docking bay of a Battlecruiser when in space. Simple explanation. Besides whats the point of a Bomber in space... Not like they gonna perform a bombing run....

6. burkid

burkid New Member

that doesnt say how individual units move in space, like mutalisks, which flap their wings.

7. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Well, now that terrans have a starport that flies, I would not find it unsusualy for all small aircraft to take garrison inside it.

8. spark32

spark32 New Member

Many thanks for the welcomes. The atmosphere in these forums is a lot more friendly than those on battle.net. One page without someone calling another person a dumbass or a noob? Impossible on battle.net forums.

Shdwy Templar: In several screenshots, the Banshee is seen on space platforms, flying around on its own.

As for how the Banshee flies in space, I'm starting to think that LordKerwyn's explanation is the most practical. In the announcement trailer, the Banshee (or something that looks remarkably similar to the Banshee) is seen flying between two buildings in a way that would seem impossible for normal rotor powered aircraft. I think it flies in a manner similar to today's F-35 Lightning II, in that it has a lift fan (fans, in the Banshee's case) for vertical take off and hovering and regular jet engines for all other purposes of movement.

As for Mutalisks... They defy physics? Nobody knows. :)

The concept for the Starbase is absolutely amazing. It's essentially a flying factory/aircraft carrier, which is perfectly fine in my book. Can't wait to try it out once the game is released.

EDIT: I forgot that the Apache and some other helicopters could possibly pull off maneuvers similar to the Banshee's in the announcement trailer, so let's just say that it would be really hard for a purely rotor powered aircraft to pull that stuff off. My mistake. ;D

9. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    Those platforms are not in space but an artificial atmosphere created on the platform. As the platforms are created by Terran for further expansion it also contained Electricity and Artificial Gravity so normal aerial fighters and transport would still work.

The Behemoth DNA strain has been spliced into all Zerg Air Flyers allowing them to travel in space. As the Zerg Flyers have the means to as in Wings and such. You wouldn't see flying Hydralisk.... Blizzard never explained it in full, but, that seems the most logical idea for it. I know nothing, I only speculate.

Also Welcome to the Forums Enjoy your stay. ;D

10. capthavic

capthavic New Member

1) Artificial gravity

2) It's just a game.

11. spark32

spark32 New Member

I'm well aware that it is just a game, but last time I checked, it is perfectly acceptable to speculate.

12. BoydofZINJ

BoydofZINJ New Member

None of the original Starcraft maps are pure space missions. While some are in outspace they were not deep space missions. Planetoids that do not spport life still have trace elements and particles held near the planetoid because of gravity. However, these elements would be so few that it would never, realistically, hold a light weight vehicle using blade proposion.

This is a game, first and foremost. This is also in the future and has fantasy elements. Let us applysome quasi logic physics to make this work. In both standard atmosphere and outer space missions these vessels use an injector unit that uses heated plasma andvents it like a rocket ship. The blades help control and regulate this plasma reaction which also causes life in both vacumn and atmospheric drives.

This vented plasma is a direct result of super charged particples being collected with a scoop device from the fusion device. This fusion device gives the ship great power for the electronics but has a side effect of heat. Nuclear reaction causes toxic waste - this type of fusion produce waste heat (plasma energy) which is the fuel for flight in my quasi logic situation.

13. paragon

paragon Guest

Some banshees flying through the mountains.

14. Chris Benoit

Chris Benoit New Member

Oh, those graphics look terrible! Blizzard needs to redesign them, add some detail.

15. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

That doesn't look like a standard quality Blizzard cinematic. Where's it from?

16. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

hehe, is it another one of your "x unit is a rip off of x" post paragon?

17. capthavic

capthavic New Member

yeah where did you get this. It cetainly doesn't look like Blizzard made it.

18. -LT-

-LT- New Member

It doesn't look so good.

19. burkid

burkid New Member

i think paragon made this one.

20. capthavic

capthavic New Member

heh then he shouldn't quit his day job ;D