1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Banelings rolling animation

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Bthammer45, Feb 23, 2009.

?

Change the animation form rolling to walking or skittering

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  2. No

31 vote(s)
    79.5%

Banelings rolling animation

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Bthammer45, Feb 23, 2009.

1. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Noooooooooooooooooooooo....!

However, just because something walks or skitters, it doesn't mean that it'll walk or skitter in the exact same way as all the other Zerg units. I mean, look at the Zergling, Ultralisk and Queen. They walk in three very different ways. It's diverse and it makes sense. I love the queen walking animation especially, as it simply looks spectacular.

2. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Yes well there's a difference between walking, skipping and skittering ;) and ultras lumber. Just imagine banelings skipping in a wavy fashion with their heavy sacks, like squirrels do in cartoons. I think it'd look nice.

3. bralbers

bralbers New Member

North Carolina, USA
    I'm for a mixture of both, like they can walk around but when you tell the baneling to attack then it'll switch to a roll.

4. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    Idk if it walks or rolls normally, but I'd like to see it roll into it's target instead of just run into it.

But maybe thats my Sonic fanboyish-ness talking, always liked spindash. :)

5. KuraiKozo

KuraiKozo New Member

Uranus lol =D
    i personally liked the idea of the old concept at a little better for it. even if it's sketchier, it looks better that way, like it would have to hobble. the new one doesn't look like it'd have issues scurrying. and also the tiny little thorns on its back might get in the way of said rolling. but as cute as i think it would be to see a waddling, homocidal bug, i think the rolling mixes things up a bit. it's showing zerg units can specify their mode of moving with their means of battle

6. Hayden351

Hayden351 Member

The Baneling's rolling is unrealistic there will always be sharp stuff around what if something were to scrap its back then the chemicals would be realesed and it would explode. It also makes no sense as to why the jumbling of rolling wouldn't open up its sacks of acid.

7. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    Seconded, as well as kuvasz's comment about the importance of diversity.

8. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    Makes about as much sense as jumping up and down doesn't make your stomach rupture, it's basically a sack of acid.

9. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    ^ The stomach is protected by other organs, muscle, then skin. The acid sacs are out in the open. In theory, one good shot from a guass rifle or rolling over some tire poppers = kaboom

10. EonMaster

Black City, Unova

Thats why the Baneling has such low HP, it cant take too much damage before dieing.

As with the stomach, organs etc wouldn't stop the acid from eating away at the stomach, only a slimy membrane keeps the acid for eating your own body. We know the baneling has a membrane plus a thin layer of a skin-like structure. If the membrane and skin is thick enough, it should be able to roll over stuff without bursting.

And if were going to throw logic in this, remember, the baneling if full of acid, it would kill off all your other units as well in reality when it explodes.

11. freestyLes

freestyLes New Member

Don't change it. The rolling animation makes the baneling unique. Almost every other zerg is either crawling or skittering!

12. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    I'm not saying I agree with Hayden, just pointing out that I understand where he's coming from. Either way, I'm all for the rolling animation so long as the transition from idle to moving is good (runs into a roll)

13. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    The fact remains that there is absolutely no reason of any kind for the Baneling to roll. The one possible argument is that it makes it unique, but so what? The original Infester was unique. You all want to keep that as well? It's unique and has been around for just about as long. It's also makes no sense and looks awful. It's the exact same scenario!

Well in that case, all Zerg units have different methods of locomotion, so the diversity argument is moot. And I wouldn't say that Ultralisks lumber. Lumbering should be laborious and laden with effort. The Ultralisk may be big, and heavy, but it trots along with ease. The Baneling wouldn't. As I said, engorged tick. That's obviously not skipping.

14. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    I don't think the baneling's rolling animation looks aweful, and althouigh I'm glade Blizzard is changing the Infestor, I still would have used it if they didnt change it.

Walking or rolling, it really doesn't matter to me, just as long as it's useful in battle and worth the cost.

15. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    I don't mind the rolling, i would certainly want it to roll into it's target even if it walked normally (an attack animation).

16. PsiWarp

PsiWarp New Member

Aiur
    Baneling rolling doesn't seem all that threatening, but watch out when they actually roll into your army or worker lines. Isn't it fun just watching armies blow up from these roller bombs?

Someone who gave a damn about a crawling Baneling is justified to voice out for an alternate moving animation, so no problems there again. But as all games go, people like flashy, odd and unique things.

Itza, are you freaking out because the majority tends to LIKE this trait of the Baneling concept?

-Psi

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  17. me555

me555 New Member

I wonder the banelings keep all that momentum. Especially when going uphill.

18. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    ^
    hey!! maybe it can roll downhill and in normal grounds...and start walking in high hills and uneven grounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how about that eh?!?!??!@#*#$

19. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Yes! Very much!

I seriously cannot comprehend how people can actually back the idea of rolling Banelings. I can understand people not caring, in regards to Protoss and Terran players, but nothing much more than that. It's a completely illogical and inefficient method of locomotion, it looks retarded, and it's completely un-Zerg-like. Simple as that. Illogical, ridiculous and doesn't fit. I don't see how people can hate the Infester but like this animation. It defies all thought.

Aarrrgh!

20. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    what about my solution? i was thinking it would be logical if banelings would walk up in uphills and will start rolling again going downhill.