1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baneling land mines

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Bthammer45, Apr 30, 2009.

Baneling land mines

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Bthammer45, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Maybe this meens blizz is looking at this site and also this meens that
    a. I should work for blizzard
    b. my logic is flawless

I personally don"t see why its overpowered because you have to detonate it yourself to be used as a mine and this ability gives you a lot more control over the unit regardless if its burrowed or not.

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  2. PsiWarp

PsiWarp New Member

Aiur
    Though, you did suggest it to be auto-cast, so that was way off the chart :p

Blizzard wants players to manually control Banelings, not leave their Banelings and let them do the dirty work.

-Psi

3. CROrens

CROrens New Member

i for one think that being able to explode baneling underground is counterproductive for the Zerg...

Now everyone will go detectors for sure against banelings to counter and you wont get any ambushes at all... if it stayed that you cant blow underground people would feel safer and would not build so many detectors right away

4. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    no, i say no to that. forcing your enemy to choose between a lot of detectors or a lot of troops that could easily be taken out is one thing that is unique about starcraft. especialy if you force your enemy to go for detectors then kill all of your banelings and mass hydras in 30seconds and have them nocking at there door in the next fer seconds. so they choose to counter banelings, and the zerg decide to trick them and then mass a unit that doesnt need to hide, like a mass of ultras right after a bunch of banelings failed because of an overwhelming force of detecters. so you go ultras because they've spent money on detecters and you've set a trap for them by countering them. thats just how starcraft goes somethings.

(sry if i was kinda rambling!)

5. Ste

Ste New Member

Chicago
    Like the idea, but I don't think they will do it, itd be too easy to have them everywhere, especially in the early game..

Then Again, it could just make the need to get detectors up faster. who knows...

6. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    they already have put in the explosion button in, but in early game you need every unit you can muster so you wouldnt just shove them in every nook and crany. not to mension that the zerg have crappy economy early game, so the player really wouldnt have the spare resources to be able to do that anyway. i could see them doing that in there base maybe because it would be a plan B so to speak.

7. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Their not like spider mines if thats what your thinking guys you have to enable for them to attack they don"t just run after your enemy like other units.

8. DontHate

DontHate New Member

The "explode" ability that was confirmed sounds like a good ability. It still retains notion that players require a certain amount of skill to pull this off. It makes the process of having to just unburrow and attack a lot simpler, which I like.

It also brings into question whether or not they'll do something similar with the Lurkers. In SC, some players would use the stop ability on lurkers (or ally them, if they dont have time to wait) and then let the lurkers attack when the enemy was right over them, hopefully causing more damage to their army, etc. Blizzard should give an ability "lurk" or whatever that just makes the whole process a lot simpler.

9. Ballistixz

Ballistixz New Member

it will work. there not like spider mines, you need to manual detonate them at the right time. so you have to have a certain level of experience in doing that, and even in late game when you are worrying about so many things at once you might forget about detonating the banes at the right time (unless you lead the enemy army into a field of burrowed banelings and thus trapping them...). or even you might just use them because at that time they will be more usefull above ground and mobile.

10. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    Well there so cheap you could hide a bunch all around you're base and then when the enemy thinks he has chaught you off gaurd you explode them and maybe have some hydras and lings around too. As well as lurkers for defence, I think that the Zerg base will be a lot more defencable then SC 1. Now you can have "mines" and longer ranged lurkers as well as moving base defences.

11. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    100 minerals a pop is not cheap enough to have a particularly large number of them just lying around.

12. needler

needler New Member

Actually 75, because you get two lings with 50 minerals.

13. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I love how they only costs minerals, gas can be used for other units. A zerg must love that.

75 minerals = Vulture. Interesting comparing actually.

14. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    75 minerals isn't that bad. Especialy during late game 75 minerals is nothing, and they could save you from destruction if it's not a huge force (or air units) whitch all you need is like 2 dozen overlords of 2.4k of minerals. And if you can aford that you can aford 75 minerals sitting around you're base ready to save your @ss.

Anyway even if you just made 2 full groups of lings and had them sit in you're base and morph 1 group while the other helps your lurkers take out the enemy, or 1group o hydras and 1 group o lings and morph a bunch right before the battle. There cheap compared to the other races, think about it terrans need more then just minerals to get anything other then a marine same as the toss only they can only get zealots. Zerg can get lings and banelings. For cheaper then a zealot and a little bit more then marines, and considering that you out number marines with lings morph half and and attack with the others and then kill everything, I mean you could race to a queen and a banelings, then mass lings and come to the enemy morph half or your forces (or something close) and go attack lings take most of the damge or the banelings get taken out and the lings kill everything. Either way I think you could do a two hatch muta build these days in SC2 only making 5+ as many if you have the minerals (whitch I heard that mutas cost less now so that would be extreemly helpful)

15. Darken Rahl

Darken Rahl New Member

its a good idea it just has one big flaw why not just be attentive and unburrow them at the right time? I do this with zerglings as my base defense all the time to help surround people as they enter my base they have to step over the "ling pit" the same i will do with banelings and im sure im not the only one

16. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Emm Darken Rahl I think its because its eassier just to click on a explosin button, and because you avoid the crappy AI destroying your burrow idea.

17. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    Exactly, so basicly you would set up an ambush put a burrowed ling a bit ahead of ur banelings so u have more of a warning, then hit explode and the enemy doesn't know what hit em. then u retaliate before he can muster a response. with his attack forces destroyed you can easily take him out.

i just realized something, if you wanted to practice these tecniques you could change infested Terran's to do ( around the same damge and 60 HP or so and you have a new mecanic.)

does anyone know if they could hack the game so that (even if its only in UMS mode) you could morph lings into infested terrans with low HP? and you could morph a drone into the Infested CC?

is that posible? (that would be a random and new mechanic to add to the Zerg of now)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  18. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    It should be possible in UMS.

19. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    yea, but would u need to hack to do it?

20. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark