1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baneling land mines

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Bthammer45, Apr 30, 2009.

Baneling land mines

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Bthammer45, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Its a upgradeable option that people would have giving the baneling a bit more tactical use. Upgrade would most likely be given with the lair.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  2. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Tactical use? It's just as tactical as unburrowing them manually. This is not a tactical upgrade, it's a simplifying upgrade.

3. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    So what if it's an upgrade or not, who's cares.

I say why not have it there so that you don't have to stare at the minimap until u see some units crawl by. I say why not and you can say land mine mode or normal burrow. Or save resourses and not even upgrade/use at all.

4. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Peripheral vision.

It's fantastic.

5. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Thank you someone who acutely thinks somewhat on my level.

6. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    You must not that be great at staving off attacks if you have a scout, well positioned building, or whatever if you can see attacks in advance...

...Then find it annoying/boring/whatever to notice HOLYCRAPANOTHERCOLORONTHEMINIMAP even if your focus was on your base, a bunch of units, whatever.

And not the minimap.

Hell. It sounds like you getting to Xel'Naga watchtowers in Starcraft 2 will be useless if you don't use your minimap.

7. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    LOLZ bthamer45

And well I guess I have a slight problem glancing at anything that I'm not doing. Playing more should probly fox that.

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  8. Zergling

Zergling Guest

I think Baneling land mines wouldn't be too bad of an idea, allowing Zerg players to defend an area incase they were occupied in a battle at the moment or such. There would probably need to be some kind of disadvantage though, like reduced damage. Without detecting units, perhaps players could be able to force attack on areas they think might be filled with Banelings, killing them while they're defenseless?

9. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    I would only favor this idea if the unburrow mechanic works like it does in SC1- where ordering a burrowed unit to attack will cause it to ignore your command, where unburrow is not allowed onto the command queue, forcing players to order the thing to unburrow, wait for it to finish unburrowing, then order it to attack.

If I can just tell a unit, "you--> kill that" and it unburrows on its own, then I see no need for a "mine" mode.

Edit: Jon says that they stay put when ordered to move, so I think I'd be in favor of a "mine mode."

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  10. Raylito

Raylito New Member

It is a very cool idea, but then the penalty should be that they are stuck there forever.

They are not allowed to resurface and continue attacking.

Perhaps a 20% increase in attack damage when burrowed, as they have time to prepare and build their gas in order to explode better.

11. Sueco

Sueco New Member

Seriusly, unburrow the damn thing when you want them to explode.

Left on "autocast" the thing might blow itself for a single marine, which is less that a baneling costs, which means you loose. Say yes to clicking!

12. PsiWarp

PsiWarp New Member

Aiur
    Haha, BtHammer, I guess you have your way again :)

This is from Karune, read here: http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=17367769023&sid=3000&pageNo=2

Though this isn't auto-cast, this also allows Banelings to explode on command above ground and below ground, without need of unburrowing.

-Psi

13. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    now that is very interesting, tho its almost no different than just unburrowing the Banelings and having them(or the enemy) auto attack on sight when the enemy are right over the Banelings.

but this does make me wonder if the AI can use this Detonate ability effectively.

14. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

This way is just a bit faster, that is all.

15. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    Sweetness, @ BANELING MINES.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  16. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Gawd Sniper, at least read the last few posts here first. Also:
    It is different! If you have to unborruw first, then the enemy has a chance of evading it. Now you can let them explode when a unit moves over them. Still, I find this really overpowered. No way that Terran or Protoss players tech to mobile detectors before Zerg gets burrow.

As for the AI, why would they not be able to use it effectively? Maybe they are unable to set up a real ambush, but this still does a lot of damage. Further, it could be a nasty suprise in campaign. Programmers can easily make some triggers to make sure Banelings burrow in the right place.

17. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    How? all the Banelings have to do is time the unburrow. if the enemy attacks and kills them, the Banelings explodes hurting and killing the enemy units, if the enemy doesnt attack and tries to run, the Banelings attack before they can move still hurting and killing the enemy units. it is unavoidable unless you get detection and kill them from afar when they are burrowed, now you press a button and your Banelings explodes right then, the timing is just going to be a little different, but the effects and how to avoid it are going to be the same.

18. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    If the enemy kills your baneling, it does 0 damage. This, paired with the animation and the associated lag by unburrowing highlights just how effective this new detonation ability is.

I'm not sure how this can be justified by lore but Blizzard has always been good at lying so no worries. I like the ability a lot because it utilises the very concept of mines, which would be a shame not to see return in SC2.

19. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    Where does Blizzard said this? Im looking for where they said this, but all im getting is that they still explodes when they are killed.

20. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    I am pretty sure they do dmg.

Last edited: May 28, 2009