1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auto-Burrow/ Auto-UnBurrow

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by don_bocci, Dec 12, 2007.

Auto-Burrow/ Auto-UnBurrow

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by don_bocci, Dec 12, 2007.

1. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    lol I wasn't saying it would bury at all times. I'm saying it would bury if you gave it the "attack-move" command and then encountered enemy units.

That's the ONLY time it would burrow. Then when there were no more enemies, it would unburrow and proceed to the "attack-move" destination.

2. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Wow. Sorry to missunderstand that. Now THAT sounds a lot better, I think I support it. The question is; what happens to all that funny micro?
    It feels like all these extra functions make us lazy.

3. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    we already don't have formations so that's one big chunk of micro to get all the units right, plus there's likely to be more abilities like blink that require micro, I don't think anyone will feel lack of things to micro in the end

4. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    The benefit of micro would still be there. Sure, your unit would move into range, but it would be REALLY easy for your opponent to out micro you. You would only be able to play it "safe" instead of being aggressive with the unit.

But it would solve movement issues as well as unnecessary vulnerabilities and defensive macro.

5. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I am convinced. Include this in the next report.

6. don_bocci

don_bocci New Member

Well I'm just glad I could spark the idea then lol ;D

7. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth
    There should be absolutely no Auto-Anything except heal, thats reasonable. But the games about micro, auto just takes the fun out of it all. Unless its auto targeting.

8. the8thark

the8thark New Member

That was a really annoyance in SC 1. Say having a few marines and a goliath selected you couldn't stim the marines cause another unit type was in the group. If you could use the abilities in these multiple unit type groups. But the skill was only used by the units that could use it. I'd really like that. But the only catch would if you had say 4 units with abilities in a group. Would all the abilities fit in the click area. Cause SC 1 only had 9 squares to put abilities and move commands etc. So 9 squares might not be enough for all 4+ units abilities. I really like the idea. And if it could be worked in properly I'd really use it a lot.

9. Namor

Namor New Member

If you have played Warcraft 3... That problem is already solved there... you toggle beetween the different unit types by the tab key... The ability's of the selected unit type then comes up in the 3x3 square....

There is only one big problem in having that in SC and that is the game speed. In SC it is much higher than the WC3 speed so a player (if not ûberh4xx0r 1337 skilled) will not have the time to use the abilities of 4+ different units, even with hotkeys...

10. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

the only thing i would want is an auto unburrow for lings / hydras

11. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
    Ditto, this wouldn't even try to bother me to make them burrow again
    Also, has there been a question banelings if they can burrow? if there isn't then it would be nice if they could burrow and then, BAM banelings un-burrow and kill your men

12. notjim

notjim New Member

this isnt exactly what you are talking about, but i think that defilers for example should be able to click a cast from underground and they will pop up and cast it. however, when selecting multiple units i would not want my stim to be available personally, id rather know i want to stim, ctrl-click a marine, and stim them all. but hopefully the UI will be customizable to where we both get our way.

13. Anansi_Tragoudia

Anansi_Tragoudia New Member

I think an auto-unburrow could be good if it were like the Patrol command; a Patrolling Burrow, 'Ambush'.

The Burrow command would still exist, normally, while 'Ambush' would be a command that causes the unit to burrow, and when an enemy approaches, it unburrows and attacks. Once finished, it returns to a burrowed state. (Possibly, even the same location.)

Exactly like Patrol, but burrowed instead of its designated route!
    ---
    Please tell me if you like that idea?

14. don_bocci

don_bocci New Member

That is exactly what my idea was in the first place ;D

15. Indigent

Indigent New Member

DAMITTT!!! I new I should have said what I wanted to before reading this whole thread, I wanted to give burrowable units an ability (That comes with burrow) to ambush, that has a kind of area that it patrolls and when units come within it's perimeter, it should be able to attack together that is set in a group. Keeping track of all your ambushing units is hard, and this could help. Even though I am not a zerg fan.

16. don_bocci

don_bocci New Member

alright well is there anything else we should discuss about the borrow strategies?

17. hydralisk

hydralisk New Member

batavia new york
    i would love this ability it would help me in my ambushing because when you sent a ambush you have to look at the screen liek every 5 secs diverting you from making more units and doing other stuff but now all you do is have to listen for "your units have in engaged the enemy" and click on the mini map for the battle

18. don_bocci

don_bocci New Member

Thanks that's the general idea behind all this.

19. Mephisto

Mephisto New Member

I don't like this idea one bit. A good idea for a non-Zerg player, but an auto Burrow/unburrow button is bad because what if you don't want your Zerglings, or what ever is small enough to burrow, to be found? Then they just get mowed down my siege tanks and Goliaths, or Protoss and Revers...if the unmerciful powers of Blizzard allow them in SC2...if they do, may god have mercy on my Zerg Swarm...*bows his head in a moment of silence*

- My life for the Swarm!

20. don_bocci

don_bocci New Member

Map, the idea is that you could turn this option on and off, so if in fact you want to keep them burrowed you would just turn the ambush or whatever the ability would be called off. This has been explained several times already in the thread if you would have read ahead :p o well no harm done.