1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Archons movement

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by overmind, Jul 20, 2007.

?

Should the twilight archon move by...

1. hovering Like the old one

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Walking Like the new one

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Archons movement

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by overmind, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Good point and well said GuiMontag. Anything that needlessly delays the release of my sweet sweet SC2 is bad.

Power up, up, and away~~~~~~~

2. JudicatorPrime

JudicatorPrime New Member

I'll be waiting a year and more... they won't delay it for one animation, it'll be done while they're working on something else, thats the whole point of having a developement TEAM and being able to MULTI-task. Unless they're completely retarded and don't know how to change an animation, or simply remove the animation then it won't delay the game half a second. It could probably be done during someones lunch break, removing the animation that is and adding a simple hovering one... which I would assume is more simple because... its hovering, theres already a lot less movement.

I doubt anyone at Blizzard is even reading this seriously, subsequently wasting no ones time and still keeping it open for discussion. I for one don't think it makes sense, if the original Archon hovered, why should this one walk? If it did walk then whatever, but I get the impression that it didn't. Considering they're probably trying to stay true to the original Starcraft and its fanbase, nothing that pertains to keeping to originality is a 'needless' delay. Especially when it won't delay.

3. gelu_gao

gelu_gao New Member

Personally I like the new design of walking, which gives a feeling of steady and potent. The steps are like to say "Hi dude, you know, you r going to DIE". Floating, might be more silent and mystic, but I feel it's simply not the way of a proud protoss archon.
    So vote the walking, and if there is any sound effect it would be better.

4. Star-Crap

Star-Crap Guest

they should make them jog. that would give them the unstopble look

5. JudicatorPrime

And a line that says "Im the Juggernaut, bitch!"

6. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I honestly don't know much about how unit motions/animations are programmed into a game. But why should anyone from Blizzard take half a second from their lunch break to alter anything that has nothing wrong with it in the first place? When they could be taking that same half a second to push SC2 closer to its release.

A lot of halves of seconds add up to be minutes, then over the whole course of development, become hours wasted. When the poll is more or less 50/50 it means it's just that some people have different opinions about something, not that the community feels there's is something seriously wrong. The marine shield and siege tank model were completely different cases. The great majority of the SC community cried out from everywhere, it was wrong, it was heard, it was changed.

The hover vs walk isn't even about a unit's look, it's about how a unit moves in the game. If Blizzard gives in this time when the opinion is almost equal on both sides, they'll set themselves up for a world of bitching and crying later on. Every Bob and Jeff will complain that they don't like how a unit swings its arms why isn't it changed, or the angle at which a unit's head is tilted when it runs, etc etc it'll get stupid.

Let's play nice and be good to the kind gentlemen who are working to bring us a long awaited sequel to one of the most beloved games of all time, and a kick ass sequel at that.

7. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    You always got to understand how much pressure it must be for the developers, I can't even imagine whats it like to be a developing a game that is the sequal to the quite possibly the most legendary and perfect RTS out there. Then they also got to please the fans and keep what we liked about the first game in the second one on top of that.

Like they said in that 1up interview, "its like taking a game like chess and making chess 2"

8. JudicatorPrime

Bleh, unless it theres already a set release date, because last I heard it was 2008- to sometime before 2010, they won't cared that much. Animation is easy to change, it doesn't reflect upon gameplay much... Unless they hover faster than they walk, which wasn't what I was implying, although it'd be nice if they hovered over cliffs and stuff. I never said I wouldn't buy the game or something if the animation wasn't changed. Just enforcing that one simple animation can't possibly delay the game for more than day... especially when we don't even know when it'll come out.

I presume in both games of chess, the pieces move the same :)

9. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    It's not a huge world-ending deal over this single change, whether it happens or not. It's what will come after that's bad. Of course one little change will not be much of a setback at all, but it will be when there are a million little changes cried about.

I have a 14 month old son, and I already draw the line when it's necessary. If you let him get something by crying about it, then he cries for everything else too, every single time one little thing requires our attention. But I'm a strict parent as I was raised that way myself, and even at the young young age of just 14 months, my son has incredible discipline. A large portion of the SC fan base are more baby than my son. Not people who posted for hover in this thread, but much worse fans are out there waiting for a license to bitch, especially on other forums.

Quite frankly JudicatorPrime, I do not share your same attitude of since there is no announced release date, a day or two doesn't matter. Note that there is a huge difference between not announcing any release date to the public and not having a projected release time frame at all. I personally will appreciate every last single stinking day that the game is released sooner. What can I say? I love StarCraft.

10. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    Honestly, if the game is fun,enjoyable and starcraft, I will be completely satisfied.

It's one thing to listen to the community and another to have them develop for you and listen to every little thing they say. I just hope Blizzard knows where to draw the line.

There will be those that no matter what you do or change they will still complain about it.

11. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

in relation to other video game companies, Blizzard is really awesome at listening to the community

but let's get serious people...this is Blizzard, not Burger King...it's Starcraft 2, not "Custom-made-to-your-trivial-discrepancies-craft 2"

I'm all for feedback and criticism, but something like this, especially when the archon in SC1 HAD LEGS and therefore walked (although it was not animated as such) just makes me feel like we are looking a gift horse in the mouth

12. JudicatorPrime

Ugh, having legs hardly equates walking in SC.

13. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

quoted and formatted differently for emphasis

14. JudicatorPrime

And who's to say it was meant to be like that? That they designed no animation because it did not walk. High Templar for one, did not walk either.

15. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

true true, but he did have hallucination-looking clones that trailed behind him... archons didn't have a special movement animation

16. JudicatorPrime

Pretty sure they thought no one would notice in the huge ball of energy.

17. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

well i don't mean to nitpick, but there you go

there is a difference between not walking at all and people not noticing, right?

18. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Why does any of that matter? TA walks in SC2, end of story.

Blizzard went for a hulking menacing feel, and they got it. Who gives a rat's ass about how archons were slipping and sliding around with no animation like super greasy bowling balls?

19. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

I GIVE A RAT'S ASS!

Maybe even a hamster's ass

but i had made up my mind not to pursue it further

20. JudicatorPrime

53.8 Percent of a 130 people.