1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Archon idea

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by kingsky123, May 18, 2008.

Archon idea

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by kingsky123, May 18, 2008.

1. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    I say develop a new mechanic where you can use Psi Storm to restore the Archon's shield. a nice counter to EMP, and it suffices for the absence of the Shield Batteries.

2. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

Yeah, thats a possible one since the embodiment of the Perfect protoss isnt quite fully developed yet,. but if not possible, ill just stick with my maelstorm since its one of the underrated skills thats quite useful if well played.. EMP would still be the biggest threat for protoss so im also suggesting a new skill for the Twilight archon..
    SKILL Description
    Energy transfer --- The protoss reunification gave rise to the birth of the twilight archon embodying an
    incalculable amount of psionic energy. These massive surges of psionic energy where
    further enhanced to aid their breathen in regaining their psychic field energy barrier...

3. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Or simply use the channeling mechanic which Protoss casters use, and when they channel to an Archon, it regains shield points.

4. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    I like that idea, but why limit it to the Archon? While the shield regen rate is faster across the board, having all casters potentially acting as on-site shield batteries is an intriguing idea.

5. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Lore-wise, the Archon's shield isn't the same as other Protoss, it is its own Psionic Energy, meaning if another hits it with psionic energy he could absorb it. Gameplay-wise, because the Archon is still basic and the same as Sc1 Archon; all Protoss being able to boost up their shield any time would be quite overpowering as a battle doesn't last longer than a minute so the short term effects will overpower the others.
    On the channeling shield, it should be on cannons like I said. :]

6. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    It would be interesting if either the High Templar or the Nullifier worked as shield batteries, but all casters: no.

7. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Are they not the only casters, or does the Mothership count?

I remember that Casters can transfer energy to each other, how about just use the mechanic but allow them to convert those energy points to shield for the Archon since his shield is energy.

8. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Why limit it to the Archon?

I didn't include the MS because Shield Battery at late tier 3 doesn't sound much useful to me.

9. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    High Templars transfering shields to Zealots anywhere? That doesn't sound overpowering to you?
    Moving shield batteries is a bad idea, IMO.

I only mentioned Archon since it hasn't got anything new to make it any better than a Colossus.

10. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

I definitely want my cottonballs of fury get a hand on one of those unique skills to call on their own... a new skill idea should not be something that is comeback type of either form of templars...

i just have a thought that it wouldnt make sense for the archon to have any skills that were previously held by the high templar and the dark archon coz those unique skills are only achievable by maintaining their state as a whole unit type... technically speaking, X plus Y is not = to XY... so a twilight archon will definitely not have hallucination, psi storm, maelstorm, feedback, and mindcontrol which which therefore concludes that its got to be a unique skill that can describe perfection for achieving such tremendous power and state...

Shield batteries were gone, so being an embodiment of power might be a possibility but even so, its rather a recycled idea and mechanic so perhaps we need even something new.....

I have always been a fan of the Archon since Broodwars and I just had to put up this question...
    "Does a soul merging ritual like the Archon make them a lesser being physically??" what i mean is that why is it that when two merging psionic being would end up having less vitality (10 hit points) rather than being more vigoruos that its enormous size generally portrays... Even if the archons are overshielded with their psionic power (350 shield energy points) it doesnt make sense that they are physically almost nothing...

unless if Archons are just plain energy matter with a visual manifestation, then i'll give an ok with 10hp

11. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    how about A + DA = TA? or hybrid, or whatever
    i just like the idea of static shock that decreases energy or shield, making it like a sacrifice unit

12. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    @Freedom

The highest ascended state is pure energy, they technically have 350 life points but for gameplay and the fact Terran are not indiginous to Protoss, meaning the Terran's technology is new to them, their genetic make up has never encountered things like EMPs meaning they are vulnrable, just as vulnrable as us catching a new strain of deadly virus, its simple really.
    The 10 hitpoints is just for gameplay sakes as if it got EMP without having a base 10 hitpoints thats possibly 10 Archons gone in one hit.

13. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    think of the shield as a containment field for the energy, an EMP would easily disrupt this, and without it they would 'die' with any amount of damage dealt to them.

i think the 10 hit points works great, and without getting EMP'd its 350 rechargeable hit points.

i would like to see an ability that drains shields from a targeted unit and gives it to the archon, not only would it add a sacrifice aspect (if targeted on a ally) it would also fit the dark templar aspect, as the dark archon was this type of unit (feed back) while having the Archons power.

14. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

energy drain or shield fusion would be a great benefit for archi longevity I suppose... yup it does makes sense to atleast give them 10 hitpoints as an EMP would put the lights out of those energy waves afterall (good work earthlings!)

Anyway there are numerous possiblities for a new skill with the T.archon and Im just hoping for a deserving one..

15. VANCOPOWER

VANCOPOWER New Member

Archon Palace

I just want to point out, the Archon Palace Idea as a ULTIMATE SUPER WEAPON of mind control domination, and SUPER upgrades for archons and protos game play like faster building (warping)

and this can be build by merging three archons together: (1st archon :HT+HT) (2 nd archon: HT+DT) (3 rd archon : DT+DT)

Only 1 power per archon palace can be researched and not more than 2 Palaces can be build:

1 st power (LIGHT awakening): protos warp large number of zealots for free: medium cool down 6 min

2 nd power (DARK awakening): total MIND control over target AREA units and buildings, side effect all templars and archons are frozen on the map untill cooldown 9 min.

16. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

im gonna be honest with these.. sorry

the name really sounds disturbingly weird and awkward to the bones (thats the most modest adjective i can come up with) sumi mase..

who would btw want to merge 3 archons for those benefits which are more likely an enhanced modification or a synanimous concept with other RTS games (Yuris revenge) / SC terran drop pods... lol , its not that im all the way saying no to an idea like that but.. have you even noticed that there are no super units in the game at all?? (mothership was toned down to late tier support caster)

anyway you should rather first consider the outcomes and probabilities first before structuring such insane concept... lore wise the Archon form is the ultimate unit as a "protossian" lol... so it all ends up there, unless there will be a divine intervention or so that will make me wrong about that bwahahahaha... blizzard tends to twist things anyway with great upsets and delights so you probably have a chance of 10% with that concept thus if they meddle with it..

oh and judging by your post im guessing that your a control-freak type of person. (stop reading my mind noooo!!!)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  17. VANCOPOWER

VANCOPOWER New Member

Hahaha

Very nice very nice, still I think that there should be an Archon palace to spice up the game protoss are not only advanced in to robotics and tech their true secrets lie in the power of the mind. also there should be enhancements for the other units as well, for example: zealots should undergo the training of becoming high or dark templars by entering the Archon palace but only few of them should pass the test. A, so how about that??? why should we stop simply at merging templars. protoss should be low in number but very efficient, example:

- Archon place is created, the player chooses to research mind control super weapon, and the player can put up to 10 zealots in the Palace but only 2 or 1 will became dark templars

-Archon palace is created, the player chooses to research warp units super weapon, and the player can put up to 10 zealots in the Palace but only 2 or 1 will became high templars

18. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

waaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

* 1st we stop at merging templars coz the zealot doesnt have the psionic capacity to handle such ritual.. basically zealots are high templars in training.. only those of higher psi power will have the chance to become a templar....

* 2nd the formerly cutted unit "soulhunters i suppose will be the counterpart of the zealot but just in a different religion or source of power which is btw the Void (the sithlords lol) and of course they will continue their path to later be ranked also as templars of the dark

* 3rd 10 zealots are worth 1200minerals are you sure you would sacrifice 10 warriors to have 1 high templar or dark templar which could simply be purchased at an extremely smaller price...

* 4th those super weapons you propose are simply un-ethical lolz since that will just later be cut like the black hole ability of the mothership w/c was the total dominator in the game if wasnt dispatched,,, also the mass transport function is still there so no worries and the mass mind control?? well im not sure of that but its likely since protoss are definitely the strongest psionic beings out there but perhaps it should be toned down as temporary mind control only.... like a disable stat against a cluster of units but just brief like 3 seconds

19. VANCOPOWER

VANCOPOWER New Member

nice remarks

Nice remarks, but I think that we should leave to Blizzard to balance out so far, but again if you want detail it should go something like this:

- every zealot will have, 30% chance to become High templar or die if it dies 100% minerals are returned to the player that way you want have to worry about your economy. as for the dark templars same will go except that no zealots will be trained but their counterparts as you say.

- super weapons are easy to balance they do massive DMG to area thats why they are called super weapons and often they have option to be excluded at the beg of the game if the players believe it is too hot to handle.

- I`m not sure about your first point you say that every zealot`s goal is to became high templar so there you have it in the game what more exciting way to experience the training of a protoss zealots than include it in the game play, and yes not every body is not cut to be a HIGH templar so sorry zealots some of you will sacrifice for the cause(FOR ADUN.). :)))

20. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Not always. Think Fenix (in Zealot form). He was way stronger than a normal HT. A Zealot can become a HT, a pilot (Carrier, Phoenix etc) or keep training as a Zealot.

A Nuke does massive damage to an area, you think Nukes are superweapons? Do you think Starcraft 2 will have the option to not include them in a game? There will only be one set of units and buildings in Starcraft, and anything else will be a mod.