1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A new protoss Artillery and Arbiter

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Anubis_theDark, Sep 19, 2007.

A new protoss Artillery and Arbiter

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Anubis_theDark, Sep 19, 2007.

1. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

actually i made one a long time ago. and you know what?

it got pwned and rejected by many. saying why need water units in starcraft when you can build airships etc. =\

2. Bizarro_Paragon

Bizarro_Paragon New Member

It's not so much that you don't need water units in Starcraft when you can build airships, it's just that water units would add a completely unnecessary side element that really doesn't fit in Starcraft. Adding units to the game that can only be used on certain maps just creates very odd, very unnecessary balance issues. ESPECIALLY when you add in the already very much existing air units.

3. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
    Whoa! those are awesome and really good drawings! your drawing techniques are very simple and yet very good!

4. WuHT

WuHT New Member

thats covered very well. Aside from common sense as air > water generally ... having units available only in certain maps is different than "island" themed maps.

5. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    The protoss have enough units now that can bypass defenses that they dont need an artillery unit, and you can get stalkers sooner than reavers to harass peoples workers. If a terran is just turtling you should be able to get a resource advantage over him and overwhelm him with better and more numerous units.

6. Darth_Bane

Darth_Bane Moderator

Seattle, Washington USA
    Well I think your picture is really good on the artilary but I would have the cinimatic like a seige tank but instead have it crouch down and have the leg put behind it. Also it could have a big cannon INSIDE the upper part and have it come out for artilary mode and the cannons on the side can be used normally like WOW I just realised this looks a lot like the Goliath. Anyway like the goliath. wow can't beleive I missed that.

7. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Like someone mentioned, artilery is for terrans, protoss have, time bomb, colossus, immortals, carriers.

Did they need artilery in SC1 ? No.

Did they use reavers for artilery? No.

Were they doing just fine? Yes.

8. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

I agree. Also, the drawings are great, but the uses for those units aren't so much. I think the protoss already compensate for the loss of the reaver, and the arbiter is obsolete now that its abilities have been transferred to the phase prism and mother ship.

9. Anubis_theDark

Anubis_theDark New Member

Well from my point of view the arbiter is a must have of SC2. But that's me. As for the rest, i still think protoss need something to crack defences from a safe distance.

10. CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard New Member

First let me also say--great drawings!

Here's two otehr ideas to consider for bringing back the Reaver:

I think it'd be cool to merge the concept of a Reaver with the Brain Bug from Starship Troopers. I mean, they DO look an awful lot alike...

So, have a Reaver that scuttles around much like a bug/slug, and functions not as a launch pad for scarabs but as a "spellcasting" robotic unit--the original reaver didn't have an attack either until you armed it, so why not say the Protoss re-designed the Reaver to function as a mobile shield generator, or a mobile mana battery? Or, perhaps it could be given an spell that costs gas (I never liked the idea of paying for ammo with a truly depleteable resource), such as unit decoy projection on a more impressive scale than Templar are capable of? Having the decoy projections themselves be upgradeable in terms of the damage they can sustain would be interesting.

The other thing I could see doing with the reaver harkens to the "Zerg centipede" idea floated on the other strategy forum. But, make it a Protoss centipede--make the Reaver expandable to have two, three, four, or as many as five mid-sections, each of which increases its hit points and power. Generation of new mid-sections could be done individually for each Reaver, and within the new mid-sections you could store additional scarabs or harness additional mana for larger spells.

11. kenshin72

kenshin72 New Member

Me like the second drawing of reaver :powerup:

I also like the thought of it having a wings it would be good if its going to be a new version of carrier or a new air unit

12. bobekzea

bobekzea New Member

For me the 2nd mk2 reaver look a ltl bit too childish, my vision is like 8th legged caterpillar but with long legs which are going up at half of his altitiude and then down to the ground, but I dont got any idea for a cannon... ;(

13. GrahamTastic

GrahamTastic Member

The Reaver mk II should be more reaver-like...but it's better than no reaver. Good drawing btw.

14. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    second picture looks better

how about a cannon on top of it angled upwards so its will have both AA and AG power capabilities? It would make a great unit to support the colossus and zealots which have no AA power at all

the cannon could fire scarabs at enemy aircraft but would be less effective than if it was attacking ground units so it wouldn't be too powerful but still be usefull on the battlefield

I never used the reavers too much but I know they were devastating in SC1