1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A new idea for replacing Marine's bayonets.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by IeatZERGs, Nov 23, 2007.

A new idea for replacing Marine's bayonets.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by IeatZERGs, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Indigent

Indigent New Member

WOW! I was thinking the same thing! Marines getting specific jobs would be awsome. Front row infantry!

2. Tavisman

Tavisman New Member

That would make Terran infantry that much stronger. I think the upgrade should take a lot of time, so you can't just upgrade them on the battlefield. Something like 40 seconds would be alright, as the unit build times are also longer now in SCII. Maybe the shotgun would cost something like 25-50 minerals, and the grenade launcer would cost like 25-50 minerals and 25 vespene gas.

This would make Marines with shotguns and launcers more like special forces, as you probably wouldn't equip all of your Marines with them.

3. ServantSimon

ServantSimon New Member

i like the "elite " marines idea that that tavisman has but regardless of how it works i think the generall feeling here is that tazer thou they sound cool would be impractical and granades even more so for close range not saying that that wouldnt be cool for a long range aoe.

However i beleive everyone here more or less agrees that a shotgun or some kind of bayonet would be best because they do have power suits so it doesnt have to be a shainsaw type one or anything like that not saying that that wouldnt be sweet thou !

I personally dont mind how it is implemented but i beleive the marine corp has smartend up a bit since sc1 i hope! and i hope to see one of these ideas implemented that would be awsome! and not to mention logical.

4. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth
    What happens when a zealot comes and melees the marine?

Electricity would do nothing.

5. Indigent

Indigent New Member

WRONG! The tazer would give the shield extra power!

6. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Maybe marines should get an EMP pulse attachment on their gauss rifles that does extra damage to protoss shields instead of tasers. It'll be more useful than tasers anyway.

7. Thalion

Thalion New Member

How about this:
    Each marine has shield tall as man in one hand, and shotgun grafted on his gear's right forearm, short ranged, little inaccurate but with great firepower (and maybe sawed-off ;P ). When expecting melee combat all marines in front will shield themself like ancient Roman legion ('turtlle formation') and fire their short ranged heavy guns ('gladius' - for 'piercing').

And about shields - they should raise their shields up when attacked from air!

8. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Well, if the shields give extra defence to the marines then that would probually give some extra strategy. Lol. Mutalisks and zerglings come out, the mutalisks attack the marines on the outside because they are like rioters provided as human shields sheilding from zerglings while the ones on the inside are shooting zerglings and the shields are up to shield from mutalisks. So like I was saying, the mutalisks attack the ones on the outside and the zerglings get through and attack the marines with their shields up. I wonder what kind of upgrades the zerglings will get.
    Zealots= Charge
    Marines= Shield
    Zerglings= Wings??

9. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Why do you all want to make Marines better in melee? Have anyone here heard about a thing called game balance? They are supposed to be effective at range, and they got TWO upgrades for that! The long-range shells and stimpacks. Instead, make this an upgrade for Firebats, they are supposed to be good at melee combat.

10. Thalion

Thalion New Member

Well... you're right, but I doubt that Blizz will listen that :/ So I should write: "If Marines have to get shields and some kind of melee weapon I'd like see it like I wrote here". And Firebats are known of fact that they have flame thrower on each hand so there is no way to held shields for them.

The my first idea come about improving Terran Infantry Melee was one with personal Defensive Matrix generators (oldstyle), but no one gave me support.

11. Indigent

Indigent New Member

If you put a shield in fire bats hands, the flame thrower built into their amor would probually fire back because the shield is faced like that to catch the fire rather then repell it.

12. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I didn't mean that Firebats would get shields, I meant that Firebats, instead of Marines, would make more sense to get some kind of stunning melee thing. This replacement idea started out good, like making it look like a tazer instead of a bayonet, but then you wanted it to actually stun enemies and stuff.
    It's supposed to be either A) graphical, or B) something that doesn't just cover up its weaknesses. (Like making colossi not targetable by air, or making siege tanks both GtA and GtA...
    It's supposed to be something that supports it at range, but hey, they already got +1 range and stim.

13. Thalion

Thalion New Member

Well, shields support them at range combat - they're harder to hit (more hp) from a distance too. Will live longer, do more damage. Bayonets haven't so much sense (even graphical it looks just bad)

14. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Yeah, it doesn't look very cool. I would not mind if they just removed it, since it doesn't represent anything, as far as I know. The shield clearly says "extra hp!!" , but if I held a bayonet, I would not withstand more damage, I would DO more damage (but only in close combat) .

15. Thalion

Thalion New Member

Taking into consideration kinds of enemies that marines have, firearms - or even better - some technologicaly advanced weapons will be best choice in melee for marines. Shields would just keep those enemies held ('shield-wall')

16. Indigent

Indigent New Member

I would not ever use a blade on my gun.. Bullets hurt more then knvies.

17. nEveR_LifT

nEveR_LifT New Member

yeah, but they come in handy when you run out of bullets!

18. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Maybe in real life, but in starcraft you never run out of bullets, making the bayonet a little useless.

19. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

i dont really care that there are bayonets on the rines
    i think they look kinda cool

20. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Put flame throwers on the marines guns.

-Safety
    -Single
    -Burst
    -Auto
    -Flame thrower