A new idea for replacing Marine's bayonets.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by IeatZERGs, Nov 23, 2007.

A new idea for replacing Marine's bayonets.

Discussion in 'Terran' started by IeatZERGs, Nov 23, 2007.

1. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

zeglings should totally say "dont taze me bro" in their growling voice if you click on them enough

really a great idea though, if it stunned the small unit for a short amount of time
    it would force other units to go around to get to the marines.

2. darkone

darkone Moderator

Mississippi
    now i understand your namesake, and your right it would be more practical but a teaser would work well

3. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

maybe you add another barrel. Double the rate of fire. Or a chainsaw, Gears of War style

4. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    The Nomad's turrets are not anti air. So it makes sense:) And that is the Nomad's only chance to defend itself.

5. Indigent

Indigent New Member

The dumbest thing anyone can do for the turrents are to put timers on them.

6. Overling

Overling New Member

Yep. But in any case they would have to be built with the cost of money.

7. Thalion

Thalion New Member

I don't see bayonets in SC2 at all. Shields only in form of shor-duration Personal Defense Matrix Generator spell (tier 2?) How about this?

8. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    I like this idea. I see it as being like one of those hand held taser things, with the electricity arcing between 2 prongs, on the end of the Marines rifle, and the Marine can't use it until he has been attacked by a melee unit, and it would have a cooldown. This would make it balanced because the enemy could have 2, 3, ect. units attack a marine and only one of them get stunned, and the stunned unit slowly regains all their attack and movement speed back. The stun would work like the bigger the unit the less stunned it gets, so zerglings would suffer the most and ultralisks the least. Also, the stun wouldn't do damage.

To recap: Can't use until attacked, has a cooldown, doesn't work as well on higher hp units.

Note: sorry if I copied anyones idea, I didn't feel like reading all the posts.

9. capthavic

capthavic New Member

Interesting but not as useful/practical as a bayonet. Tasers require power, aren't lethal, wouldn't be as effective, and just not as cool as a big ol blade on your gun.

10. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    A bayonette is designed for close range combat.

Grenade lanchers used in close combat would kill you.

A shotgun would be a good option or we could do the GoW thing and but a chainsaw on the gun

11. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

grenade launcher is more usefull, but not the solution for a melee attack

12. DE.50

DE.50 New Member

Washington
    Well the taser isn't suppose to kill the unit, only stun them for a little bit to allow you to a) retreat or b) shoot them. The thing about the bayonet that I don't like is I am not sure that the marines are strong enough to use it. Zerg are suppose to have fairly thick armor, and I am not sure much else other than a metal spike fired from a gun can pierce their carapace.
    I suggested this in a different thread a while ago that there is a tier 2ish upgrade for the marine that when a unit gets within a certain distance (2) he automatically switches to shotgun attacks and his attack gets a small splash damage added to it. I thought it was practical then, and I still think it could work.

13. ServantSimon

ServantSimon New Member

ok from my time of playing rts stuns are nearly impossible to balance period. id stick with the bayonet for many reason
    A) you have zealots even if you could get your silly (to them) tazer up in time there shield wouldn't allow it to hit them so there would be no stun so it would be pointless

B) in actual combat with zerglings it would be impractical yes it would work well against 1 but zerglings dont come in ones usually that count at east 2 for every 1 marine

C) bayonets specially in sci-fi are probably pretty kick ass and much more practical in almost any melee fight

this all being said a tazer ability attached to the bayonet would be cool with a reasonable cool down it would help the marine stay in the game longer as far as damage dealing

D) and of course we could loose both these ideas to a shotgun becasue thats what the shotgun was made for close quartrers combat

14. capthavic

capthavic New Member

Well if their carapace is too thick for a blade then I doubt a little shock would be any more effective. the marines have power armor that increases their strength and a bayonet is a leathal close range weapon. I guess my point is why stun them (and then have to take time to kill them some other way) when you can kill them outright and without using up ammo/power?

15. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    If you stun your enemy first you can kill them more easily without the danger of them killing you first. But tasers really aren't the solution for close-range combat. They should just give them chainsaws on their guns like bird of prey suggested.

16. Tavisman

Tavisman New Member

Maybe the taser could have a range of 2 (same as firebats had in SCI), so the marine could still keep some distance between itself, and the enemy.

17. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    This could be a good idea on paper, but I can't see it happening in the game. It doesn't seem very practical.

18. Thalion

Thalion New Member

Marine were fighting far in SC 1 without bayonets. They aren't affecting game so why not make some cosmetical change and:
    a) rid them completely off
    b) make them looking SCI - FI. Way it works (on animation) will remain unchanged and there's many ways to shape metal's piece.

19. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Well, as I see it... Would you rather...
    a)Stun them
    b)Stab them
    c)Shoot them
    Tazers are a cool idea but now that I think of it I would not take the time to turn on my tazer and make sure it is actually touching something to have a chance to stun something. I pick C.

20. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Maybe they could add either Grenade launchers as a long range AoE special attack or a shotgun attachment as a short range AoE attack.

Each would be require a separate research item and have to be outfitted separately like the BC