1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A list of confirmed Terran units/mechanics

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Ych, Jul 20, 2007.

A list of confirmed Terran units/mechanics

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Ych, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Ych

Ych New Member

Well the BattleCruisers could do that. And they are returned with a new ability that could do AOE damage to ground units.

2. burkid

burkid New Member

well the terran air from SC1 that had attacks was just the wraith, BC, and valk, and 2 of them could hit air and ground, but the ground attack of wraiths was so minimal that all it could really do is annoy someone, but was quite effective vs air.

now the terran air with attacks consists of the banshee, BC, and viking. Now, only one could hit air and ground, but if you look at the banshee as a wraith replacement, it can severely harm ground units, but since it cant hit air, the valk and wraiths air attack are both covered by the vikings air form, so really the wraith has been more than adequately replaced, in the same sort of sense as how the pheonix replaced scouts and corsairs.

3. leemen

leemen New Member

OK, I forget about the BC. however, BC is a late game unit for Terran. In SC1, a group of Wraith with cloak can finely annoy other's mining. This is a good tastics for Terran.
    If Blizzard does not have the idea to add more air unit, Banshee will replace Wraith as the early game air unit, but it can't attack air, so it must co-operate with some other unit. In this case, Terran will be less flexible than SC1. I prefer to upgrade Viking's air form instead of Banshee.

4. TidalSpiral

TidalSpiral New Member

Frankly I'm very happy to see that "air to air only" attacks seem to be much less common in SC2. I always thought it was super lame how in BW each race got an Air-to-Air unit. We're out to destroy a base, it was useless besides obviously killing air armies. Anyway I love that Ghosts will snipe now and I do not miss the Wraith since the Banshee arrived.

I can't help but wonder why some of the simple units haven't been shown. For instance the Dropship, why not show it off UNLESS they are trying to decide between giving it an ability or something? And if that is the case then we might still have a few nasty tricks to learn about.

Imagine if Dark Templar have another ability besides Twilight Archon. Oh god the pain.

5. privateparts

privateparts New Member

Will multiple SCVs be able to work on one building? I have always thought that something Terran should be able to do - it makes sense. The Zerg can't chuck more drones into a growing drone and make it grow faster. And the Protoss can't warp in things faster either, coz they just warp and leave it to itself.

Also, with the new Sensor and Radar Domes, will Missle Turrents lose their detection ability? I think they will, which is going to make placement of sensor domes that much more critical.

6. Ych

Ych New Member

As of now, I don't think the Terrans can build buildings with multiple SCV.
    Some people brought it up and people said it would cause imbalance.

I personally don't think it will if Blizzard implemented a steady price reduction while multi-build like the Humans in Wc3. It wasn't a huge advantage for the Humans in Wc3 because the more workers you used to build a building, the more it cost. If Terrans were to get something like that, they should have a similiar concept as the Humans in Wc3. If the price is very steep, then people would think twice about multi-build. I don't think it would imbalance the game whatsoever. It would just give the Terrans another distinctive trait compared to the other races.

7. kehmdaddy

kehmdaddy New Member

Indeed, I think that would be an interesting mechanic as well. The humans in Warcraft 3 do not gain any great advantage from having it; why not implement it for the Terrans as well?
    Well, the Dropship was shown in the gameplay trailer and it had some very cool animations too. I would say that the reasoning behind it is that Blizzard wants to release information slowly and because they don't want to end up showing us all these units and then end up changing or scrapping them all. Also, Blizzard is going to reveal one race at a time. Most likely they won't show us Terran units like the Dropship until the Protoss are all released. Patience, friend. BlizzCon is not too far away, and I'm sure we'll have a whole bunch of stuff to drool over after it's done. :good:

8. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    About the Banshee's ground-only attack vs Wraith's ground and air attack, I think this is actually a good direction that Blizzard is taking with Terran. It is also quite understandable if you briefly analyze SC1 Terran.

The SC1 wraith, by role, was Terran's tactical air unit. Meaning, it's what you used for swift air strikes and ATG annoyance, take out workers to disrupt econ, things like that. However, due to the valkyrie's inadequacy in conjuction with wraith's rather respectable AA capabilities, most Terran players found themselves choosing wraith over valks for added incentives beyond acceptable AA.

Quite simply, Terran was generally not lacking in the AA category and wraith was just the all around goodness. There were other factors involved, such as Terran's greater dependency on ground over air and the valkyrie sucking overall, all played a hand in wraith being the all around better bang for the buck. Naturally valks didn't get used because most Terran players had only a few bucks to spend on air if even any at all, they needed the tactically superior air unit and wraiths being decent AA was a plus.

They're trying to give everything that you had back to you but make it all better than before. The ATG and the stealth that you had with wraith, you get to keep, but now it's upgraded to do splash vs ground. So the same air strike tactics that you had are now more potent, not to mention new strategic applications. Where wraiths would've fallen short before are now possibilities.

The wraith's air attack however, you must consider its importance on a racial scale looking at Terran as a whole. Instead of having wraith ATA, valkyrie ATA, and goliath charon booster as three separate but overlapping and redundant Terran AA, they put it all into the Viking's air form to replace all of them. This is actually quite an accomplishment if you think about it carefully.

With this one move, they've eliminated the unused valkyrie while at the same time having a unit to fill that role. They've guaranteed that it won't go unused this time around by having it replace wratih AA and goliath charon booster altogether which really just did the same thing more or less. They've effectively forced players to mix units to be successful. All the while they've got to introduce a super cool unit for the fans to go crazy over, which the concept of it is mind blowing in the SC universe, even though they've really just reincarnated the DotT from WC3. It's pretty nifty.

What Blizzard has done in SC2 is maximize the specialized usage of each unit while eliminating redundant, especially unused, Terran weaponry. They're giving you back all your old toys, but with them upgraded, and they crammed it all into a slim and sleak package.

9. kehmdaddy

kehmdaddy New Member

Great post, Remy. Well articulated and thought out, :powerup: to you, sir.
    The way you put it, everything for the Terrans sounds well and dandy. However... what if the Viking air form isn't strong enough? With Goliaths, Wraiths and Valkyries, a Terran player had different choices for their anti-air. If the Viking is not strong enough to deal with a Protoss fleet or a huge swarm of Zerg flyers, where do the Terrans go from there? In Broodwar, a Terran player could go for Valkyries after realizing they were outmatched in the air. In this case, the availability of diverse anti-air units is a great boon to the Terran army. We'll certainly have to wait to see how the Viking is able to fare against its enemies' air units, but I think correctly balancing the Terran's one choice at anti-air is going to be much harder than balancing an array of diverse anti-air options.

10. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    The valkyrie was always a liability to Terran in SC1, it was risky investment. With the design in SC2, Terran is allowed to have more of it around, because at any time, they could also be your ground force. I believe that the new info on Viking indicates that the ground form also has an air attack, this would make it more so.

I think what they are doing with Terran is upping the versatility and adaptability. I don't think getting the bigger weapon one step up is going to be the Terran answer to the air war in SC2, but rather, adapt on the fly to the situation at hand. Most Terran players never went for valks beyond wraiths in SC1 anyway, rather, they would make use of marines, goliaths, spells, and micro to overcome what wraiths alone could not. I don't imagine that it would be much different.

11. Ych

Ych New Member

Does anyone think that the new Torpedo ability for the BattleCruiser sounds like it is going to make the BattleCruiser overpowered?
    As we know right now, BattleCruiser have tons of HP and armor. Combined with Yamato Cannon, they are very deadly. But now, with the new Torpedo ability, they can kill lots of ground units with ease. Something soo big and powerful shouldn't have an ability that can do splash damage IMHO. If you have the chance to mass BattleCruisers, they can basically kill any ground targets with their torpedo and any heavy targets with their Yamato Cannon.

But I guess we will have to wait and see how this turns out. What I stated is of course, just pure speculations because we simply don't know how the Torpedo ability is going to work. Hopefully, we will find out how it works at BlizzConn.

2 more days.

12. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

Yea, I think as of right now it any discussion of something being overpowered is a little premature IMO. Blizzard, I've read somewhere, goes about making every individual unit come across as very "overpowered" through description, yet it's the balancing act that renders such seemingly overpowering abilities fair again. I think until all three races are flushed out, or even just two (to facilitate comparisons and theoretical deduction) we should hold off on any immediate judgements of balance. Unless it's something blatant like "an armageddon bomb that costs 25 mp cast by a zergling that kills the entire enemy base."

So I think for the most part we should just wait and see.

13. Ych

Ych New Member

I agree. Wait and see is the best thing we can do right now.
    I'm actually happy for the BattleCruisers. They are one if not my favorite units in SC and making them look more fearful just brings smiles into my eyes. Because honesty, in SC1, BattleCruisers shooting those puny lasers doesn't look too dangerous at all. They kind of look pathetic. Something soo big and strong deserves better than those piuu piuu piuu lasers.

So yea, the wait and see is the best way to handle it right now. Because it is only 2 more days till we can have another huge discussion on the new stuff that we learned at BlizzConn. :)

14. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

Yea, great point on those BCs in SC1. I mean, sure they held up their end of the bargain by doing sufficient damage 'n what not. But it really does seem kind of silly for something that huge and complex of a mobile fortress to shoot out one laser shot in the front hull.

Y'know what I do like? The Motherships basic attack, which is just a rain of laser shots. Not only does it look awesome, but it's commensurate with what it looks like it SHOULD do.

BC's should have more or less done the same. Or at LEAST switch to dropping some kind of bomb when it attacked ground even if it's just for the visual effect.

15. TerranTemplar

TerranTemplar New Member

With the battle cruisers, what i would like to see is the weapon change from lasers to missiles.Pretty much for aesthetic reasons.

Im just waiting to see what new units blizzcon will send our way, and any changes to our lovely Terrans :p

Love the bunker ability btw ^^

16. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

the bunker has an ability?

anyway battlecruisers will get lot of abilty to choose from as said. the ground plasma torpedo thing will be great for the battlecruisers. yes more firepower for the BC!

17. Ych

Ych New Member

Updated everything from the list.
    Everything is valid up till BlizzCon.

18. burkid

burkid New Member

in the terran video, they said that vikings(air) were effective against armored units like the BC, and was weak against armored targets in ground form, just for the differientation between them.

19. Ych

Ych New Member

Edited again.
    Thanks for the headsup Burkid. :powerup:

20. burkid

burkid New Member

sure, no problem. i just didnt want someone to come in "ZOMG WTF THE VIKING PWNED THOSE BCS WHEND THY GET NERFED!?"