1up. 4 hour gameplay with Protoss

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Ych, Jul 28, 2007.

1up. 4 hour gameplay with Protoss

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Ych, Jul 28, 2007.

1. burkid

burkid New Member

because they take too long, cost too much, and suck.

2. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

An Ultralisk sucks. Twelve Ultralisks will kick the crap out of any base with little support (air/air attacking). But it illustrates a crucial Starcraft aspect - you can't just use one type of unit at one time. When used correctly, Ultralisks make a fine addition to a Zerg attack force. They soak up Reaver/Psionic Storm/Irradiate/Siege Tank, etc. damage, and still are generally left to fight!

3. TheOneInPower

TheOneInPower New Member

I agree with ninerman13, that just about sums it up. So, really like I said, there are no "useless" units in SC1. Whatever unit you come up with there will always be someone out there with a good strategy tied to it.

4. burkid

burkid New Member

i never said they were useless, just that they suck. ask remy to explain it to you.

5. TheOneInPower

TheOneInPower New Member

Isn't that the same thing? Useless and suck? If it isn't useless then it is useful and wouldn't suck to the person who is using it.

Wow, that was a lot of different terms in one sentence stemming from use! Ha.

6. burkid

burkid New Member

7. TheOneInPower

TheOneInPower New Member

Ok, I'll agree, that was very thought out. But that's just opinion. I personally like to use Ultras and Queens, and I do fairly well with them, if I do say so myself. Ultras may not be the best choice in most places like he explained, but 'suck' is too harsh.
    I think Remy is on the right page with the infested terrans. I can't do crap with them. Are the infested terran replacements the succubi or are they just replaced with banelings?

8. funnystuff

funnystuff New Member

I always thought the Ultralisk was one of the coolest units in starcraft. I mean who doesnt love a giant elephant zerg thing. Although they were perhaps not as useful as other zerg units they were still awesome I I'd like to see them appear in Starcraft2 whether it still be an ultralisk or some other really large beast creature.

9. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

I don't actually agree with everything that Remy said. I think he makes some very valid and very great case studies on a units individual performance, but I think on a larger scale, I believe that he may have missed the interdependency as well as collaborative aspects of such "units that suck."

1. Units that suck such as the Ultralisk DO suck when used by themselves, but if the unit were taken out altogether, it would truly be somewhat difficult for a mass of lings to penetrate a well defended Terran position. A couple of Ultras go a long way to draw fire from the seige tanks. It's the Zerg's battering ram, NOT a self sufficient unit, no matter how big 'n tough it looks. So is it a super versatile unit? No, it's not as "great" as the Hydra in that respect, but is it useless and sucky? I don't believe so.

2. There is a matter of balance that needs to be considered. As many have seen, Blizzard makes the statement many times that they do the rock paper scissor sort of method. Often times, however, those "useless" units really aren't MEANT to be used much more than a last resort, ones forced to be used when an opposing player who is amazing at using tricks of the trade 'n what not make it difficult to beat because you just stick to easy to use and well rounded units like the Hydras.

3. While Remy's comparison for unit costs vs. damage efficiency (I especially liked the part about the minimum functionality thing), I think that many 'a times it's not so much about straight up numbers as it is about more subtle factors. For example, Broodlings were brought into the picture regarding their low HP and duration in a combative sense. However, these units are not most efficiently used AS fighters. It would be silly to think so. To prove my point, A Queen can "spawn broodling" organic objects only, and yet they can still somehow spawn broodling a seige tank, which is obviously mechanical. Why? Because Blizzard felt that it was SO useful to the Zerg to create a few destructive creatures WITHIN a well-guarded Terran post that they even sliced off a layer of realism just to allow this feature. That is obviously just my opinion, for I have no proof of this, but it makes sense to me. Because all you have to do is let a couple of these come out of a grid of seige tanks and it only takes a few shots before the entire area of those broodlings becomes decimated by friendly fire. And yet, if these broodlings were much more powerful, it might very well create an imbalance, for it if it took up to TWO shots to kill them, imagine the amount of damage a couple of queens could do to a Terran chokehold that the opposing player spent a fortune to build up and defend.

Wow, I might have typed a bit too much on my own here. Sorry about that. And I don't know if you're going to read this Remy, but I want to make clear that I don't by any means discredit your opinions and views. I just think that on a larger scale with more aspects considered might render less "sucky" units.

10. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

wow. who said ultralisk sucks? hmmm... * hands closed as in grasping*

nice one archlimit although i only read number 1 of your post.
    yes ultralisk are zergs best tank and very useful in games with unlimited minerals. lol

and ULTRALISK IS ONE OF THE COOLEST UNIT CREATED FOR STARCRAFT. ultralisk looks better and bada$$ than most other units in the game. they DONT suck 8)

wow. whos the female in your avatar archlimit? kerrigan? where did you get it? you have the best sig and now you have the coolest avatar. but mine is cuter =)

11. DontHate

DontHate New Member

erm... sorry to break you're bubble but the ultralisk sucks. I'm afraid to say sucks now becuase i'm sure some people will disagree and type huge text blocks at me explaining the many uses of the ultralisk, but tbh it's not very usefull in most situations. Also no one really uses them except vs terran maybe.

12. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

ok i understand. ultralisk may suck or sucks at real games. but actually i love ultralisk by it LOOKS itself. ^^ not the gameplay value, i use them against my friends just for the badazz feeling and for fun.

anyway i think useless is the word not suck.

13. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

*Sighs*

Please see the above posts by myself and others as to why the Ultralisk does not suck. You may not use it or feel it is even useful, but other people do. Every Starcraft player has a few units they personally do not like or utilize, but that does not mean they suck or are useless. It just means that said player does not know how to use them correctly or simply doesn't like them.

14. millions

millions New Member

yeah ultras are not used in most games (since they are expensive and higher up tech) if they had faster attack rate it might do it however they are zergs only tank type unit . personally i think that ling with all the upgrades (especially speed upgrade) are way more scarier than ultra ;D

15. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

Heh, I recently made a Kerrigan wallpaper. So I was just kinda messin' around a lil bit and decided to tilt her head a few times and wah-la, there's my new avatar. I did the wallpaper for the forum shop and I think sc2forums is gonna post it up pretty soon.

But I agree, your avatar is way cuter. :) BUNNIES!!

16. TheOneInPower

TheOneInPower New Member

Oh my god, look at the debate I caused! I'm just glad that people understand what I'm saying. It's all in the opinion.

17. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

wow. good job! thats the coolest avatar in the internet iv'e seen so far. you made it directly from a 2d image? from your wallpaper? i don't think thats possible. anyway im guessing your a master of 3d modeling too. wow. just. wow. :powerup:

18. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

Oh no, I mean I did it a flat wallpaper rendered in Maya, but as far as the Avatar goes I just rendered the head shifting a lil bit as you see it as if it were an animation straight out of there. Thanks for the praise, heh. This has turned out to be a pretty productive summer for me.

19. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

wow. productive summer. mine is kinda boring. im stuck with photoshop and windows movie maker. lol. i wish i could start working on 3d on maya. but my pc wont allow that and i got school to attend to. =\

wish to see more great things from you. ^^

20. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

Thanks, Zeratul11.

I'm making an avatar using the DT in the signature. I think after it's done I'm either gonna sell the new DT avatar or the Kerrigan one for some min. I should have a talk with the administrator about that though.