Zerglings: Semi-ranged attack?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by ShdwyTemplar, Aug 10, 2007.

Zerglings: Semi-ranged attack?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by ShdwyTemplar, Aug 10, 2007.

1. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    First off, the Zergling seems to be mixed puddle of emotions on the looks. This will not be in any part related to this Thread. This thread is for the concept that Zerglings might be able to attack from behind other Zerglings. Reason Below

The Zergling movement animation includes the Swarm characteristics that we all know and love/hate. This being said we know that as Zerglings move they may hop or glide or whatever we would like to call it. Knowing this knowledge it is not all too unlikely that as they Swarm towards foes and reach them that if they cannot reach the foe would they hop/glide/ect. to get to their enemy. Such as if one Zergling is attacking a Bunker and Zerglings line the whole Bunker if one Zerglings came up it would attack with a small hope or glide motion and then move back. It would not stack on the Zergling nor would it push it out. It would attack then move back.

Now this concept would be interesting as it would add a larger more "we want to kill you vibe" as I know from my own experience that if I get enough Zerglings attacking a base some will get stuck behind the others and die without doing damage. This mechanic would allow for Zerglings to not just sit their and be meat tanks, but, to attack and support other Zerglings and still be meat tanks. This mechanic would only work for any Zerglings that is within 1 row of the Zergling attacking the building/unit. Otherwise you would have far too many Zerglings attacking one target.

This attack concept would not be any special ability of the Zergling nor would it be some researchable passive upgrade it would just be a mechanic that comes with every Zergling. As this isn't anything too big and too small its just a concept that could be implemented to add just another level of uniqueness to the Zerg. Consider the possibilities. ^_^

2. MarineCorp

MarineCorp New Member

England, United Kingdom
    I think they have actually, it does look like they were attacking by leaning forward then hop back but it is a interesting concept but i think i would the SC1 style concept

3. opm

opm New Member

NYC
    sounds like you want just smarter units

4. nortonanti

nortonanti New Member

Toronto
    i really hope that they put this mechanic in sc2

5. Darkmer

Darkmer New Member

This idea has some merit. You could see it as a two lined attack. The zergling behind a zergling could add the attack animation and deal damage even though he is not in proper meele range, giving the idea of swarming the enemy. Not sure if this might be over powered

It seems zerglings swarming was taken into account in their damage and attacks. Also, for realism, the front line would have to be frozen and could only move once the enemy has been killed and the swarm moves on, making it kinda complicated.

6. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

it seems too powerfull maybe if your attack is divided in half when they use this ability so that units like zealots can stand against them

7. TheOneInPower

TheOneInPower New Member

Well with all the inclusions of these massivly strong ground units (Collosus, Seige Tank, ect) this would make the zerglings more useful even in late game skirmishes. I mean, the collosus tears through zerglings like nothing I've ever seen, this little skill would make it so, given enough lings to surround it twice over, might possibly stand a small chance against it.
    And it wouldn't be too overpowered, because who in their right mind would attack with one collosus? To double line multiple collosi would take a staggering amount of zerglings.

8. slugonice

slugonice New Member

T-up on this one.

9. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I reckon that if the Zerglings do get this ability then their attacks against buildings should be reduced. There's already enough space for a lot of Zerglings to swarm around buildings, so if they could get 2 rings around it, then it's way overpowered. I guess their attacks would just have to be balanced, with dampened damage against large buildings, and normal (or amplified) damage against other units.

10. Trooper_Lozer

Trooper_Lozer New Member

Its a good idea, but just as ItzaHexGor, the buildings would stand no chance... Zerglings already do the most dps in probably the whole game. adding another row of them would be truely devastating to most buildings...

11. -LT-

-LT- New Member

It's a good idea, but I don't know how would that look like...

12. WuHT

WuHT New Member

Looking at a practical and "been done before" approach.. lowering collision size seems to give off a swarming feeling as well. When a total of 3 zealots at max can attack a marine in a squad, if zerglings can double that number then mission accomplished. The zergling's "attack" collision size can be different from their moving collisions AI as well, so that they wont move like a mosaic.

13. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

i think remy posted something about swarming/clinging mechanic for the zerglings and i think that suits better than being semi ranged units.. besides whats the point of being melee if their gonna have semi range attacks? right??

14. DontHate

DontHate New Member

yea this is pretty neat. You can sort of use it in SC1 though. You just need a vulture that is surrounded by lings and u plant a mine on the ground. The zerglings just attack and round around all over the vulture.

15. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

sounds interesting, but i prefer the current model with zerglings swarming all over the place like a flood.

16. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    It's not actually a ranged attack, it just resembles the Zerglings swarming over each other to get to the gooey, fleshy, tasty goodness that is the Marine. After all, if you were a Zergling, would you wait behind the one in front of you until it dies or moves out of the way before trying to attack the enemy? No. If anything, they would kill the Zergling in front of them just to have a chance at killing the Marine. Heck, Zerglings would even run through a valley that's infested with Spidermines just to get to the long dead carcass of a Marine so they could nibble on the tiny amount of remaining flesh. It's a great idea and suits the Zergling perfectly.