Zergling Wings - Yay or Nay

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Gasmaskguy, Mar 20, 2009.

?

Which one looks better - Zerglings with or without wings?

1. With wings

32 vote(s)
    64.0%
  2. without wings

18 vote(s)
    36.0%

Zergling Wings - Yay or Nay

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Gasmaskguy, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I never thought I'd see the day, but it looks like Samwise approved of the removal of the Zergling wings.
    The Zerglings in the pics attached to Q&A 50 had no wings, as seen below:

[​IMG]

The question is if you like it or not, of course.

The wings added to the evolution the Zergling has gone through over the 4 years of Starcraft - Starcraft 2 silence. But personally I think attaching wings (2 pairs no less) to the most massable unit in the game might cause clutter.

A running movement animation might look better than a hopping one too (The wingless Zergling might still hop a little, but I am pretty sure it will be less than the winged one). The Zergling is a fast unit and their old hopping took place at a very high speed, and if issued a new move command they could be forced to turn mid air if the timing was wrong.

EDIT: Karune has stated that Zerglings are wingless until Zergling speeed is upgraded.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  2. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    I remember watching one of the many youtube'd gameplay videos. In one case, the hopping animation had been axed for the Zerglings, and the galloped around in a similar manner to SC:BW (they were still winged though).

The Zerglings look good now, but they seem to have only changed the coloring, rather than the major graphical overhaul the other Zerg units had. If wings are going to be brought back in the future, I'd expect them to be slightly smaller and less noticeable

3. -LT-

-LT- New Member

They look better with wings to me.. But I need to see some videos to know for sure.

4. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

I personally liked the wings quite a bit. They added flavor.

5. Alasdair

Alasdair New Member

Toronto
    I personally didn't like the wings, but now they almost look like slugs with arms and legs o_O

6. Light

Light Guest

I think they look better without em, it looks like they're just swarming, while with wings they just look like flies...

7. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    This just in:

Source

Ah well. :p I think it was a good decision by Blizzard though. It's like the the Marine shield.

I wonder if it's fair for just some units to have this though. IMO they need to do the same to a lot of other upgrades. The Hydra should get more spikes near the ground if speed is upgraded / get less spikes near the ground if speed is not upgraded.

ItzaHexGor likes this.
  8. Hayden351

Hayden351 Member

I found the winged zergling...... -_-??????

And now they are slugs that turn into...... -_-??????

9. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Oh dayum! Another visual upgrade?

That is slick.

10. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    Cool stuff :D

I'm sure Blizzard's working on putting neat little visual changes into the units, but it seems hardly possible for some units. The Siege Tank is a good example - aside from actually going into Siege Mode, how would you be able to tweak the model of the tank?

11. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Upgrade the guns, it gets a bigger, more intricate model?

However, the ST doesn't have an upgrade besides damage. So far, we've seen extraneous upgrades only (Marine HP, ling Speed) change the model.

12. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    The Siege Tank doesn't need a change of model after the ability upgrade since going into siege mode already does that in a way.

Hellion after range upgrade could get a bigger and cooler design on the mounted flamethrower. Same for Colossus. Don't know if the Marine needs this, his gun is kinda small. I guess it couldn't do any harm.

13. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I was gonna say that although the Zerglings without wings still look pretty awesome, I'd prefer them with. That said, both always having wings and always not having wings is inferior to upgrading speed in order to have wings! Awesome find.

As for the hopping, I absolutely love that new style of running. Makes them look so much more like a full blooded swarm than just a simple lot of really small units. To quote Fenix, it adds flavour.

As for other visual upgrades, I'm a bit sceptical. Although the ones we've seen so far look great, I don't think they should go over the top with them.

14. LoVeRBoy[E]

LoVeRBoy[E] New Member

Rocky Mount, North Carolina
    I really like the wings. (if someone already said I'm sorry but now I'm saying it)But to me I think that it would we be a good idea the the ling should be without the wings at the beginning of the game. Then later on when you upgrade the speed the lings grow the wings....But overall I like the wings...they look much better to me with them...without them they look kinda like worms with claws. /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

15. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Someone else wanna break it to him?

16. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Zerglings begin without.

When they're upgraded they get wings.

17. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

soon, the winglings will come to birth and meet the skies.. just we wait for another decade or 4 years.....

18. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    i like the way blizzard approached this!! BRILLIANT!!!

i think if they gna do this, most units (that have upgrades) should have a slight visual change.

19. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I agree with AcE, but also with Itza. They shouldn't overdo it. Zealots for example don't need it after charge is researched IMO, since the charge animation is clear enough. Same with Siege Tank and Stalker - when they use their abilities it is clearly seen. Some passive stuff warrant visual changes though, such as speed upgrades and perhaps range upgrades.

20. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    ^
    yup, totally agree with you on that one. Only have a visual change on things that are passive (speed, hp +, and maybe even armour + (for the ultralisk)).