Zerg walls

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by afterburner, Feb 18, 2008.

Zerg walls

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by afterburner, Feb 18, 2008.

1. afterburner

afterburner New Member

Ok, its not really walls, but supply depots are not really walls either.

The idea is simple, give larvae the ability to move anywhere on the creep. This way, you could move a bunch of larvae to the choke, and when enemy units come rushing in, you can morph a bunch of zerglings, and since larvae have really good armor, this would make for good walls. The downside would be that you would have to spend minerals on this, and if you're planning to cancel - there goes the larvae (maybe minerals too??? 90%back or something). You could make lings, for a short-lasting wall, or something like ultras (or equivalent) for longer lasting walls, since the build time is longer. Theoretically, you could connect your base to your opponent's via creep colonies, and march a whole bunch of larvae to his/her base, and morph them when they get there (ultras, of course).

What do you think?

Edit: Perhaps you could upgrade the ability to load a bunch of larvae into an overlord, and drop them on your opponent, just to take up hits, or something...or to create a blockade of some sort in a battle. Maybe another upgrade to allow larvae to move anywhere even outside creep, provided they are accompanied by a queen. Or maybe it is the queen that can do the larvae transporting? This way, you could drop the larvae anywhere on the map, maybe even burrow them, as free scouts (not free, since a hatchery can only make so many larvae)

Perhaps even a new larvae ability...who knows

2. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    I think it'd be nice to give larvae control to Zerg players similar to what mind controlled critters do: move on their own but can be ordered as well. I would make creep a requirement only for buildings, meaning larvae would survive without it, so you could move them to the front lines or whatever.
    The egg wall sounds like an excellent idea, I have to say, but it shouldn't be made a separate mechanic, rather an exploitable attribute of the Zerg, much like cancelling an early extractor to get that 1 extra drone out, or having a building above your troops to make your enemy unable to target them for focus fire.

3. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    just a week or so korean figured out how to move the larva!!!!!
    So it is allready implented in some way :D
    But i think lorewise it will not work (larva´s grew on the hatcheries or somethng similary)
    Else a good idea, but i do not think it will be so usefull (Zerg is the aggresive, bunker rush happends outside of your main etc.

4. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Its a very nice idea to move Larva like Critters, but they would have to stay on the Creep. But what happens when you go to your hatchery and theres no Larva since they have spread out?
    Allow Zerg to spawn additional Larva from the Larva (similar to how bacteria clone) and these cloned Larva will move around like Critters but only on Creep thus smoothing out the problem of not being able to locate Larva is settled.

5. Smokiehunter

Smokiehunter New Member

I can see this getting out of hand on the really big matches online. where you already have to keep track of 10 15 hives. now you have to keep track of 45 wondering larva nope no way I can micro that much.

Any way it wouldn't be fair to make a wall of impending units because as soon as that wall brakes you will have a figurative wall of zerglings rushing at you. it would be better if you could take a drone and fortify an already existing natural wall making it do damage to things that try to go over it and giving the wall a little extra health

6. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    But don't forget, a decent wall even in the tightest chokes would need about 5 eggs, which, with even the cheapest of units, would add up to 250 minerals... after which you'd get units (if you don't cancel it because the threat is gone) you might not need and they would just occupy supplies. You wouldn't be able to wall spam, because you'd need a lot of minerals to do that.

@Forsaken: I was thinking larvae could stroll back to the main building if close enough to it. If not, then the hatchery would just generate more larvae. Maybe if they're on creep, go back, if not, move like critter, but if they're off-creep, they wouldn't be able to morph into units (for balance reasons), only walls (which then rules out the egg-wall but there could be some other form to it).

7. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    imo u should be able to build empty eggs which could be used not only as walls but also as a distraction when ur eggs r being attacked
    each could cost 10-15 minerals

8. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

Lore-wise it wouldn't work. Larva require the nourishment of the Hatchery and the Creep, so once isolated they would die.

As far as making a wall in general, I think that Blizzard should just stick to the Terran Supply Depot mechanic. It makes the Terran race a little bit more unique - and I'd rather see new mechanics for the other races than another form of wall.

9. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    Lore-wise: but if its inthe egg wouldn't it have all the need nutrients
    game-wise: ya good point but I still like the idea of 5 empty eggs around a base