Zerg upgrades

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by kuvasz, Jun 23, 2008.

?

Which Zerg upgrade system would you prefer?

1. New unit based system.

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. Old attribute based system.

7 vote(s)
    70.0%

Zerg upgrades

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by kuvasz, Jun 23, 2008.

1. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Source: http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?fn=sc2-general&t=1388238&s=new&#new

The Zerg upgrades work the same way they do in SC, that is, you don't upgrade unit types individually but the unit types share common 'equipment' like armour. Do you think this is a step back from making the races distinct or do you think this a required step towards balance?

2. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    i cant really say, they old ver. was great because the game was balance then, but i like the new ver. becuase it sounded unique, something very different from what the other two races were doing, but i never had the chance to play it like that so i dont know whether its as what they say or not.

3. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

I'm glad for this change back. Sometimes old things suck. Sometimes they're great. I say this is a great old thing that was brought back.

4. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    I think this the old upgrade system was a lot better because you don't have to separately manage every single one of your units. I think the new system would have ended up being a hassle rather than making the races distinct.

5. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    I prefer the old system because the new system would slow down Zerg attacks considerably. First you'd have to have enough money to make the units, then (assuming all of the individual upgrades cost resources) you'd have to have enough money to upgrade all of the units so they would actually stand a chance against enemy forces. It's like paying Protoss prices for Zerg units, which is insane.

6. Avatar_ignis

I would of liked to see the new unit based upgrade system in effect. To my knowledge i was unaware of the cost and time needed to uppgrade a single unit, so mayeb you can upgrade key units that are most vital in the battle the fastest (say zerglings are the ideal unit for the current situation, and you hastily upgrade them to get the most out of them). I think its a step back, the new system seemed to show the zerg evolving only those who were most adept at the moment, kind of like selective darwinism

7. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

I liked the new system simply because it was unique and added to the "Starcraft 2 mindset" of the Zerg. But since Blizzard tells me that it didn't work, I'm glad to have the old system back.

8. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

You can find costs for the individual upgrade system at http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=1&cId=3167695

A sample:

# Evolve Mutalisk (Level 1): 100 minerals, 100 vespene gas, 80 seconds.
    # Evolve Mutalisk (Level 2): 125 minerals, 125 vespene gas, 120 seconds.
    # Evolve Mutalisk (Level 3): 150 minerals, 150 vespene gas, 160 seconds.

A Greater Spire would have three buttons (instead of the two it had in StarCraft I), labelled Mutalisk upgrade, Swarm Guardian upgrade and Corruptor upgrade. (You need to spend 1/5 times the resources, roughly, to upgrade your air combat units.) And even then, it wouldn't upgrade your Overlord armor like it would in StarCraft I.

IMO it was too expensive and too inflexible (as it restricted your ability to "shift gears" quickly).

9. BloodHawk

BloodHawk Member

CT, USA
    I don't see individual upgrades fitting the Zerg pattern at all. Zerg units are meant to be sent to the meat grinder. Seems silly that the army with the greatest amount of units *ahem* expendable units, would have to upgrade armor on a one by one basis.

Makes more sense as a Terran or Protoss mechanic, but the idea still doesn't tickle me pink.

10. Shockem

Shockem New Member

New York
    I agree with blood hawk, zerg units are expendable and therefore usually die quickly and are produced more often. The idea of having to upgrade each wave of zerg is pointless and completley against all the expected zerg advantages. Also Kerrigan says "Screw That", and i know because her and i are tight we have the same Overlord(Grandma).

><><SHOCKEM><><

11. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    i like the zerg idea...but if it doesnt work..meh
    great to have the normal system back

12. Avatar_ignis

I'm getting less excited about the zerg, what with the defense system and upgrade system resorting back to SC1 style. I just hope they add changes to breath new life into the zerg.

13. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Why would you say the defense system is the same? It's extremely different. Just because the buildings are called the same doesn't mean the mechanism is at all the same.

14. Tralfagar

Tralfagar New Member

I like the thought of making your units more specialized for the task at hand. Not going to be using Zerglings? Why pay for their upgrades , both in time and materials if you're going for Ultras? You get the reduced time, and reduced cost, and 2, or even 3 upgrades.

Additionally, if I were to have been the one to design the system, I would have spun it as you get the (ability) upgrades with a bonus of more attack/defense. For example, the Ultra's upgrades would look like:

Level 1: Atk/Def bonus 1 and Armor upgrade
    Level 2: Atk/Def bonus 2 and Speed upgrade
    Level 3: Atk/Def bonus 3 and increased health/whatever.

or, alternatively(what I would have preferred);
    You don't have to have it tiered; you can simply choose which upgrade you want(they're all Atk/Def bonus 1 with differing upgrades)

And people seem to forget that the Zerg aren't just swarmy units(though they do have a good deal of those), but more specialized units as well. This upgrade system makes the Zerg into an army of broad, expendable units into one which is more expendible than the Terran or Protoss, but not quite as expendible as the original units.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  15. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    IIRC the new system worked like what you described there. I think zerglings were like this:
    Level 1: +1 damage and defense
    Level 2: +1 damage and defense + speed upgrade
    Level 3: +1 damage and defense + adrenal glands