Zerg Thoughts

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Gardian_Defender, Jul 8, 2009.

Zerg Thoughts

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Gardian_Defender, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    1)From what I understand the overseer keeps the creep ability from the overlord gains vision of cloaked/burrowed units and looses the hive upgrade of ventral sacs. It's also has inhereted the ability to heal units and structers from the queen. If someone has info plz share.

2)I have noticed that the zerg seem to only have one detector, now thinking back I guess they only had one in SC1 butbinwas thinking what if we gave an ability to the infester that it can use a spell like scaner sweep, so basicly you burrow the infester(the ability would only work while burrowed) and then it slowly drains it's energy at that spot until it is told to move or runs out of energy but gives you detection at that spot. There fore if you wanted to do a little sneaky work and need a detecter you could do it with the infester. Also if you're being attacked by dt's and haven't mophed any overlords (whitch you probly should have by then) you can have some detection. The skill would not have a first cost like cloaking ability but it wouldn't be a flat rate like the Terran Comsat. Also when dealing with an enemy that keeps sniping you overseers it would be nice to have some form of a plan "B" detection service.

Anyway just a thought.

What do you think?

2. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

I like that idea... a novel way for the Zerg to get some extra detection besides the Overseer and the Spore Crawler. It does remain to be seen though (and it will be proven one way or another during the Beta) whether or not the Zerg are actually suffering from their detection being limited to the Overseer and the Spore Crawler.

3. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

I don"t really think they are really and the whole reason that the overseerer was put in place is because the zerg had that almost impervious to cloaked units.

I really think their fine esspecially with the spore now being able to get up and move around.

4. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    They need a turret of some sort, or maybe the queen can see invis?

5. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    Well thx so far but what about the spell idea for the infester? Does anyone like it? I mean since you have to mutate ovies now and you're mostlikly going to make infesters for scouting purposes and if you have enought you could turn the tide by "mind controling" the enemy units for you're advantage but even what if you decide to go full scout and move them to a watch tower (one question if an overseer could activate and that vision would detect the enemy units that are cloaked. If so you could have a few sitting at some watch towers and see if there's any ghosts coming to nuke you or something

Also about the queen seeing invisable units, well since she basicly is a really cheap hatchery most people will probly have quite a few spamed in their base for mass production and if detection as well it would be interesting.
    Oh and they have mobile towers, there called spore crawlers.

Note: I think the Zerg are ok on detection. I was just thinking you're probly going to make a lot of infesters why not give them a sight thing because it would give the Zerg a bit more mobile sight.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  6. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    The Investor idea: wouldn't it be better to just give it an aoe ability that acts like Plague or Ensnare- that decloaks units as it has its effect?If you're expecting cloaked units in that specific spot, it only takes a little more effort to watch for them. Since the Infestor can use its abilities while burrowed, it would be fairly straightforward to "mark" cloaked units.

7. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    1. Having the queen would make sense, shes your capital unit at times. It would seem to make sense. With her being a queen and all. Although now that there is more than 1 queen. I am still thinking on whether or not this would be a good idea.
    2. The turret idea just makes sense, because both other races have it. I really just thought of the most obvious thing for the zerg. ANYTHING. For another detector.

8. Cabbage

Cabbage New Member

Could someone give me the list of detectors in SC2? I thought the missile turrent was no longer a detector.
    Anyways...
    1) I think the queen should not be a detector. If she can attack and detect and be massed simultaneously, then aggressive cloaking against zerg bases would be utterly squashed.

2) I'm not so sure whether the infestors should be able to detect, especially when underground. This ablility would over lap the observer, which terrans, like me, hate. However, if they were required to be unburrowed in order to detect, it would be fairer as the infestor can still get away provided the opposing team lacks detection.

3) Should the zerg need to rely only on overseer and spore crawlers, it would be harder to go aggressive, especially against terrans (because it's highly likely they're going to mass ghosts vs the biological zerg units). Spore crawlers would slow the advance because they move slower on normal ground. The overseer would also be very vulnerable to air attacks if the zerg lack decent air protection, not to mention it also loses it's ability of farther range of sight when advancing.

Soooo.... my suggestion is to include either unlimited detection above ground, or mana-required detection underground (similar to the scanner sweep as Guardian_defender has mention, except the area to be scanned is in range of the infestor) for the infestor.

Any comments?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  9. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/StarCraft_Wiki <--Updated on a regular basis.

10-Neon beat me to the punch - Assuming the Infestor's current Plague ability is similar to SC1, it should be adequate for decloaking units. There's also the option of using Zerglings as splash damage fodder if you know there's a cloaked ground units nearby, but can't get detection there.

10. Cabbage

Cabbage New Member

[QUOTE="SC2Pod]Detection [edit] (passive)
    Used by Missile Turret, Observer, Overseer, Photon Cannon, Raven, Sensor Tower, Spine Crawler, Spore Crawler
    Provides detection, making invisible enemy units visible to all allies.
    [/QUOTE]
    Is it true that spine crawlers get detection? If so, then that would be rather unfair.

11. needler

needler New Member

Well Zerg don't have much splash damage dealers. The only one that comes in mind is the baneling, but that trick could be pretty hard to do with them.

12. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    The Lurker and Ultralisk would also splash, but seriously. That's really annoying and hard to effectively pull off.

13. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

I don't think Spine Crawlers get detection, just Spore Crawlers. This is similar to the original Starcraft, where Sunken Colonies did not get detection but Spore Colonies did.

14. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    i like the idea to make the dtection for the infester passive anless underground. thats an idea and it would force the player to use mana that he might need badly or risk loosing them for some detection.

could someone list out the current up to date spells for the Queen, infester, and overseer?

15. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

Sure. Spells are as follows (from Starcraft II Wiki):

Queen - Burrow, Create Creep Tumor, Spawn Larva, Transfusion (healing spell)
    Infestor - Burrowed Movement, Plague, Neural Parasite, Spawn Infested Terrans
    Overseer - Detector, Spawn Changling, Create Nydus Worm, Spore Cloud (line of sight blocker)

16. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    "Create Nydus Worm"

Ehh?

17. oakwood

oakwood Guest

They put "Create Nydus Worm" on the Nydus Network itself, and I believe they moved transfusion to the Overseer and gave the Queen Razor Plague again.

Anyway, what's the deal with zerg being weak at detection? The way I see it:
    - All three races have a stationary turret detector.
    - Terran have access to Comstat in addition to a flying detector and their stationary detector, which is powerful due to its inability to be stopped but requires energy that is now shared with MULE. Their mobile detector is also a costly spellcasting unit.
    - Protoss' flying detector's advantage is that its cloaked, but preforms no other function, takes supply, and requires a bit of teching.
    - Zerg's detector is a prime target, but is light on resources and supply and has very useful abilities you'll probably want to have around your army. Zerg will likely have a higher quantity of detectors since you'll always have overlords floating around and the 50m50g morph cost is not very prohibitive.

Sounds to me like it's more balanced than it is unbalanced.

18. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

Thanks for the correction, oakwood. I thought it sounded weird... but the Infestor was up-to-date so I thought I had missed some news about the other two abilities.

Welcome to the forums, by the way.

19. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    I remeber looking at an updated site saying the history of that and that was changed to the way (sry can't remeber your name that posted the stuff I'm in a "quote mode page") said.

And for the record I was just thinking of a plan B aproach you know a mass dt rush oh crap they just killed all of my overseers with a bunch of phinixes as back up and my base will be destroyed by the time my overlords morph ok use my infesters and the forces I have left to clear most of DTs out and morph more units like mad to try to stay alive!