Zerg tech trees ideas

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Bthammer45, Jul 9, 2009.

Zerg tech trees ideas

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Bthammer45, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

These are 2 tech tree ideas (iv got others but these 2 are what iv got right now) that I thought might be cool so leave your impressions

Also put what you think the zerg tech tree needs

The first one I took out the lair completely me seeing that it really was a pointless structure and also I made it so the ultra den now morphs from the roach den and made the nest require the chamber along with the overseering comeing from the spire now due to loss of the lair.
    Tree 1
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  2. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

This one now has the lair and hive being seperate upgrades which have their own abilities and also the ultra den and greater spire require one of them to make but get rid of 2 required hatchery upgrades and gives each one a unique ability similar to how the terran have it.
    tree 2
    [​IMG]

3. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

Can you remove the green cutting my eyez like a laser beem?

EDIT: Thanks

by the way, I'm no pro, but those trees look nice!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2009
  4. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    Tree 1:
    Pool, Chamber > Nest: Baneling - That places it higher than the Hydralisk, practically tier 2.
    Taking out the Lair is a bit bold, but it seems to work on this tree.

Tree 2:
    The Hive/Lair split seems a bit awkward. At least, the fact that it segregates the Brood Lord and the Ultralisk. It's like an extreme version of the Science Facility add-ons. It makes sense, aesthetically, but may result in unnecessary inflexibility in Zerg tech.
    Tree 2 seems to be missing a Nydus Network, by the way. I assume you intend it to be at the top of the tree.

--

I find it interesting that the Zerg tech tree can be composed buildings and their upgraded versions. I always thought it would make sense to have the Roach Warren upgrade to the Ultralisk Cavern (aesthetically), but now that I look closely, you could do this with just about everything!

Hatchery --> Lair --> Hive
    Spawning Pool --> Baneling Nest
    Roach Warren --> Ultralisk Cavern
    Hydralisk Den --> Lurker Den
    Spire --> Greater Spire

If you wanted, you could re-instate Queen-centered defenses, and have:
    Creep Tumor --> Spine Crawler, Spore Crawler

Thinking about gas complaints, it would even make sense to have:
    Extractor --> Greater Extractor =p

And, why not- to make it complete:
    Evolution Chamber --> Nydus Network ...not that that makes sense.
    Spawning Pool --> Infestation Pit ...this makes sense to me, for some reason.

I'd actually love to play with a tree like that. Lower-tier buildings stay relevant into the late game. Though, in order to keep a fully-teched Zerg base from having only six buildings, I'd have the upgraded versions not unlock the unit from the previous stage, so, to get Lurkers and Hydralisks, you'd have to build two Hydralisk Dens, and upgrade one of them to a Lurker Den.

The really exciting thing about all this is that it should all be possible to create in the map editor.

5. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    Um so now you have to wait double all of the buildings (mostly) to get all tech units and pay more minerals/gas for every moph making Higher tech make you morph 20 diff buildings and make another of that building. That seems to completly destroy the point. The dirt tech tree I could handle, the second with the split hive and lair seems way to complicated but I support morphing the roach into a hybrid of the roach den and ultra den and the normal hatchery/lair/hive and of course the spire --> greater spire

Edit: with the first tech I think it should be not the hydra den that unlocks the other tieir bit the combined spawning pool and evolution chamber that does it, well u say who the f*** doesn't make hydras and lings? Two words The Pros. If you've look up pro matches with ZvT you will find a basic strat that is build spawning pool morph lair build spire and go for muta harras and help with the lings al the while getting lurkers and defilers.

I wish I could give a link but I'm on a crappy iPod, so it's pretty much imposible.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  6. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I think its interesting but I prefer the one they have now.

1. I dont like that an upgrade center is needed for getting some special units, and as Neon said, banelings would actually be higher tech than hydralisks. And I dont like removing the Lair, as zerg has always been about upgrading overlords in hatchery's which I like, it seems right lorewise.
    2. For me it seems wierd that you can upgrade some of the roaches abbilities (speed, and bigger regen) in a n ultralisk cavern lategame.

GD, I dont like the idea of evo chamber required for lair, would slow down af 2 hatch muta against protoss fast expo (if thats even possible).

I think all these builds make Zerg less flexible, I dont like that.

7. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

None of them require that you get the evo chamber for the lair or hive they both are available to get when you get the spawning pool.

The idea behind all this is so its give you reason to have building such as the roach warren and gives that feeling of having different specs for different build types but you can always build both a lair and a hive because they both have abilities and also I see the idea of having a 2 hatchery required upgrades because they don"t really open up much of anything other then buildings.

**offtopic**
    Ideas

The lair has the ability to create muscular tentacles which latch onto drones making it so they don"t have to move while mining and could only last for a period of time with a cool down on it, this ability make them immobile and they can"t burrow but the lair takes half the damage from attacks on the drones.

The hive give units produced by its eggs a increased speed of like 20 - 30% and effects building in some way

I also made these in like 20 minutes after the idea popped into my head so bear with me.
    **offtopic**

yes I did forget the nydus in the second one.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2009
  8. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Bthammer a lot of good ideas, but the problem is that you constantsly post new ideas, without giving us a chance for discussing them!

9. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    What do you mean, do you want him to sAve all of his ideas and then make a huge post showing all that he thnks should or could change? That would change it from a few threads on his ideas to one humunguss thread that the first coment would be on the next page.

And yea I agree that maybe the evolotion chamber shouldn't be a requirment for the lair (didn't think of that strat) but I think that maybe the lair should get a build time decrease to allow you to tech a not faster, even if the hive is a bit longer all you get from the hive is the ultras and lurkers anyway.

10. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I mean that he starts a discussen on tech trees and 3 posts later he's talking about a new upgrade (eco thingy); that means we will never get a real discussen.

Btw:

I really like the tech-tree we have now, what is it that you dont like about it?

11. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    I don't mind the current build but I think something needs to change a wee bit like the lair building faster or something that allows for a slightly faster tech build. I mean from what I see I think I've heard the terrans get the fastest tech build as of right now. But I guess blizz is doing a good job and will fix stuff like that in beta.

12. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Isnt the Zerg's tech as fast as usually? I dont see why you need faster teching?

13. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    My only problem is it seems like a problem as of right now to have to morph through the lair(maybe that's just me) but I've also heard that the terrans have the fastest build as of right now (I think it was in some video)

14. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Terrans have always had the fastest tech, but to do something real against mutas they also needed very high tech in scbw, I think this will also be true in sc2.

Probably it will be about surviving an early attack against your two hatch build as it also was in scbw olddies. So thats perhaps a marine and marauder attack where you need sunkens. After the pressure has forced you to build some sunkens and go on the defensive, the Terran can choose between expanding and been forced to stand the pressure of mutalisks, or he can tech and the games becomes very complicated (BETA!).

I think the roaches and the baneligns will let you survive early midgame, and then the lurkers can tech over in the late middlegame or lategame.
    If the Terran goes mech I will suggest mass Hydralisks, mixed with some banelings and zerglings.

15. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    Ok kool, isn't that pretty basic compared to SCbw. Blizz give me units that will REQUIRE new techniques!!!

16. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Well discuss away this thread has 14 posts.

my opinion is that the tech tree for the zerg just is not open enough versus the other trees the zerg have evolved why not give them something different in sc2.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  17. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    Plz explain in more detail. I think I get what ur saying but alaberate plox

18. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Simply put terran have the option of getting upgraded units via tech labs when they want them and at what point which give them much greater flexability and the protoss buildings that tech up have acual use.

the zerg are also still bound down by the hive and lair morph and their pretty much usless (they don"t do anything other then unlock building pretty much so its like you have to double build to tech up).

19. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    Would you suggest that the Zerg get a tech change like a split between the hive and lair tech?

I can't remember if it was you or some one else that put up the tech tree ideas but is that something that you would suggest?

20. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

their both mine one suggests its split the other gets rid of the lair.