Zerg Tarantula Superunit

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by KBlocK, Sep 3, 2007.

Zerg Tarantula Superunit

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by KBlocK, Sep 3, 2007.

1. KBlocK

KBlocK New Member

This is an idea for a zerg unit comparable to mothership/thor , a giant Tarantula which has a melee attack with its spiked legs and has some special abilities besides the melee attack the melee attack should deal slightly higher damage than say an ultralisk. (1 ) abilityBeing an Acidic Ensnare which it spits a whitish yellow glob of web which deals an impact damage say like the shell of a siege tank but ensnares the targets slowing it down and dealing acidic damage comparable to a mild form of plauge. (2) The ability to lay eggs of up to 3-4 at a time which hatch within 4-5 seconds producing a bunch of small spiders in each egg like 4-5 baby spiders which deal melle damage comparable to a zergling. This unit would be able to scale cliffs and any sort of terrain being that it is a spider and can climb walls. This unit would play on the zergs ability to swarm mass units and give it a somewhat siege ranged type weapon with the acidic ensnare. I Think even for a (3) ability a cool one would be to be able to string out a web which can serve as a booby trap mech say stopping units over lurkers until the unit can fight the web off taking like a few seconds to shed it away by this time leaving the units diced up would lead to some cool tactics using burrowed ambushes. Unit could be comparable to the cost of a thor once a player builds a tarantula den. I always felt like a badass spider would go well with zerg. Thoughts??

2. DontHate

DontHate New Member

that sounds very neat, but the abilities seem a little overpowering. also, i dont think the zerg need a super unit. they just need to be able to mass large amounts of units.

3. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    Aside from the fact that this is the wrong part of the forum to post this in I say Welcome to the Forums.

Now, in logical concern the Zerg do not and I hope to all ends of the world that they do not get one unit like this. The Zerg do not use large creatures that can cause massive destruction on their own even if it were to be at end tier. I use an example as the Ultralisk.It is a powerful unit that can do a vast amount of destruction. That is if it is with the entire swarm. Otherwise it is practically useless. With this in mind the Zerg would not need a standalone unit. They need units that work in conjunction with each other to make the swarms deadlier. To So, a unit in comparison the Thor or Mothership is just not Zerg.

I would also ask if a mod can move this to the Zerg Section of the Forum and that hopefully no one post past me in this. :p

4. Shadow Templar

Shadow Templar New Member

I think you on to something with the egg lay ability. I think the Queen will return in SCII, but not as a spell caster, but as the zerg super unit. However, compared to the other super units, it will be weak. Its strength will lie in its ability to create swarms. It can lay eggs that hatch into broodlings and perhaps whip swarms of units into frenzy or buffing them. If that isnt a zerg super unit, I don't know what is.

5. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Balancing does not mean giving each race a superunit equivalent or similar to a Mothership.
    What I don't understand is how people miss the characteristics of each race and suggest something that really would look out of place. Generally speaking:
    Protoss - Few units that are more powerful but more expensive. Generally bigger and harder to manoeuvre.
    Zerg - Masses of small and inexpensive units that are worthless individually.
    Terran - Medium number of units, has a little of both the Protoss and the Zerg in the sense that they have both kinds of units: Large+powerful+expensive and small+cheap+massproducable.
    And I don't think Blizzard intends to change that much.

6. KBlocK

KBlocK New Member

It was just an idea I know what u mean but im thinkin if they dont have a cool equivelant they are def gonna have to have somethin good up there sleeve to match up to terran and toss.

7. Meloku

Meloku New Member

interesting idea! Would be cool if it had a new mechanic, like the ability to clamp onto a building and slowly tear it apart, have a ton of hp, but no normal attack. the kind of specific breeding the zerg do.

welcome to the forums.

8. kenshin72

kenshin72 New Member

This is quite similar to dota called broodmother

9. Divinity

Divinity Guest

No.. spiders dont fit in the Starcraft saga.

10. Shadow Templar

Shadow Templar New Member

lol..now that you think of it it does sound like the broodmother..nice call.

Anyways, yes the zerg need to swarm, not pwerful units. That's why they need the Queen back as a unit producer, not a warrior. If worse come to worse, make it a movable hatchery, spawning larvae as it walks around. Or it can just spawn lots and lots of broodlings as it sits in the back lines. Sure, a broodling rush doesn't sound intimidating, but if it came right after an attack, in which your enemy still doesn't have defenses back up..it would hurt. It would also give the queen the chance to inffest building if they keep that in teh game. Did I mention it would have to be a whole lot of broodlings....

11. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    While it seems cool it doesn't fit the doctrine of many many small waek units. The superunit was the 'toss thing since they are all about single powerful units.

I like the idea nonetheless

12. Ych

Ych New Member

Good concept. But I don't want Zergs to get anything spider related. I hate spiders big time and I don't want them appearing in my favorite game. :)

If the Zergs actually get anything spider related, you won't see me using the Zergs.

13. thitian

thitian New Member

i agree, no spiders please -_-;

anyways it shouldnt be able to attack but instead move very fast and be able to let 12 zerglings jump on its back... :p

14. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

It's true that the Terran have the Thor and the battlecruisers, and the Protoss have the mothership and the Colossus.

What for the Zerg ? just mass attack ?

It would be funny to get a giant Zerg.

15. Alasdair

Alasdair New Member

Toronto
    kill the spider as soon as u see it, also like thitian said, it could be a ground transport, perhaps with heavy armore and life, and also the ability to spawn about 6 zerglings (or broodlings) if it has enough power. If it spawns zerglings, it should cost some resources too

also,it has no attack, but has a heal aura for zerg around it

16. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Naw we need the Zerg to use alot of spiders bats and snakes.

Maybe this thing could be a roving hatchery

17. pajamasalad

pajamasalad New Member

I agree with others in this post. The zerg shouldn't have a super unit.

Turning dead things into units sounds a little too much like the undead in warcraft 3.

EDIT: Woah. I just reread that and I am really confused. I thought I read something about getting the spider babies out of dead bodies.

18. Protosscommander

Protosscommander New Member

Tarantula not bad, to become a Zerg Super Unit. :)

19. Swarming Surtur

Swarming Surtur New Member

i like it :thumbup: but mayhaps the spawning time should be lengthened a bit (or at least have a limit)
    now allow me to demonstrate why. AHEM:
    Protoss Player: hmmm... this games been going on for three hours, and i have yet to see the zerg player.
    Terran Player: you are too right sir, let us form an alliance and get them shall we?
    Protoss Player: lets do just that :good:
    (a two seconds later)
    Zerg Player: RAAAAWWRR!!!!
    Protoss Player: oh my god! ten million spider things! :eek: (Dies)
    Terran Player: :upset: (Dies)
    Zerg Player: A winner is me! :thumbup:
    thats the mistake they made with the queen
    i use to just get a bunch of them, take a few armies of lings and hydras to an enemy base, then spam spawn broodling
    it was fun, but rather cheap :-X

oh! and p.s. : whatever the zerg super unit is (and they BETTER have one) i hope that it will spread the creep where ever it walks

peace :thumbup:

20. Blackskies

Blackskies New Member

They already can pwn both the mothership and the thors. Banelings for thors and Scourges for motherships. GG