Zerg Symbiote Colony

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by silentmage, Aug 11, 2007.

Zerg Symbiote Colony

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by silentmage, Aug 11, 2007.

1. silentmage

silentmage New Member

So here's my idea *slight edge to voice because of irritation caused by the computer crashing right before I could post so now I have to type it again*

The creep colony will have an upgrade that will make it into a symbiote colony, which will then spawn one of three types of symbiotes. The symbiotes will attach themselves automatically to any nearby units but cannot be directly controlled because that will increase zerg micro too much and the player can't control larva either so no one say that it goes against the unified zerg mind. When the unit dies, the symbiote will try to find a new host but only has a limited time to live. So these are the types of symbiotes I've come up with:

"speed" symbiote
    "defense" symbiote (increases hp or defense or both depending on what would balance)
    "clone" symbiote (instead of finding a new host, it will create two of the old host with very low hp that can't regen so the player can't just use this to build up his forces. So, if say an Ultra has three clone symbiotes on it, six really, really weak Ultras will spawn)

2. b0urne

b0urne New Member

whoa, i feel like i'm watching stargate...anyone else get this vibe?

but i agree, having a symbiote would be kinda kewl. how about, like stargate, the symbiote attaches to an organic unit that u CAN control and in addition, buffs up the unit (increase hp, defense, attack, and mp).

you can even goes as far as including that if the infested unit is killed, it explodes of acid and does some aoe damage. ooo baby, FOR THE OVERMIND

3. silentmage

silentmage New Member

Ummm .... just to make sure everyone understands ..... (I'm not sure if you did, b0urne) ......... I'm proposing that the player can control the infested unit, but not the symbiote by itself .........

4. nortonanti

nortonanti New Member

Toronto
    very creative :good:

this could work, it would make playing much more interesting

5. slugonice

slugonice New Member

silentmage, i find that idea interesting...

but will the symbiote also crawl into allied TERRAN/PROTOSS organic units or only to ZERG units?

6. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

i have to say thats an impressive concept.. but i really would have to disagree with the clone symbiote coz zerg may break the 200 unit cap if cloning will be like that... another thing is those upgrades given by the symbiote seems to overlap some of the units that exist namely the zerglings adrenal rush and so forth.... what if the symbiote colony is built near the drones working will that be imba coz
    1 is gonna be tough
    1 will work faster
    1 will multiply
    so if u analyze that 3 symbiote colonies would easily increase working population right??
    overall i really disagree with having these symbiote colony of yours...

but this is just an honest opinion though...
    ^_^ peace

7. slugonice

slugonice New Member

how about that these symbiote colony would INSTEAD of having symbiote units crawling around,
    why not let them become buff buildings...

Any unit near that building is buffed.

8. silentmage

silentmage New Member

Uhh ... I don't think symbiotes would infest terran or protoss units ..... and ........ the drones could have no symbiote slots to prevent imba ....... and although there is overlap, I think the dynamic properties of symbiotes (i.e. the bonuses "move" through the swarm when units die) make it much more zerg-like .......... I guess I'm saying that I like my symbiote idea better than straight upgrades ....... ::)

9. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    First off I find an interest in this idea. The concept seems a bit differed than most, but, the Zerg do not use symbiosis. They parasitically react to any organism outside of the Zerg Swarm as the Zerg are not capable of symbiosis on the fact that the Zerg work as a unified mind getting commands from the leading entity of the Zerg. If a symbiotic parasite would be implanted into a non-Zerg creature it would automatically try to take full control of a host. The Zerg Larva is actually the most controlled creature in the Zerg Swarm as it is told what to mutate into from its current state as a Larva to another of the Zerg Strain.
    Thus, this idea seems much in logic to a mass mind control for the Zerg. That would make the Zerg far too powerful.

Now an idea spawned off of this may work closer to what you perceived.

Zerg Parasitic Colony

Tier: ?? Requirement: Zerg Creep Colony
    Cost: 300 Minerals/200 Gas
    Armor: 3 Armor Type: Biological
    Range: 7

Parasitic Infestation Strains: Only can infest ground.

Movement Rendering Parasite: Slows down biological units as long as parasite is attached.
    Last: 10 Seconds or Until parasite is destroyed. Cool down: 3 1/2 Seconds.

Acidic Erosion Parasite: Armor is reduced as long as parasite is attached.
    Last: 15 Seconds or until parasite is destroyed. Cool down: 3 1/2 Seconds.

Instantaneous Mutation Parasite: The Infested Biological Unit's DNA strand is cloned into two lesser forms of the original host. Permanent. Cool down: 15 Seconds.

Leech Parasite: This parasite creates a slow degeneration of Units health. Will not under any circumstance kill unit. Max Damage:60 Degeneration Rate: 2 Per Second Last: 30 seconds or until destroyed. Note* As parasite leeches it slowly will regenerate lost hit points at rate of 2 per second.
    Cool down: 3 1/2

This type of colony is can only attach parasites to biological units. They act in the way the Terran Reaper's D-8 Charge acted when attached to a building. They can be interchanged on one Colony. There is a small cool down of 20 Seconds per change as the Colony will mutate the Parasite Strain.

Hope this is a clearer idea for ya.

10. -LT-

-LT- New Member

Very nice idea. :powerup: Just change the name.

11. silentmage

silentmage New Member

mmmm ...... I never intended my symbiotes to infest units of the other races ....... it's called symbiosis because the symbiotes latch on to other zerg to help them ....... i.e. it's not a mind control thing ...........

mmmm ....... on the other hand, I do like your parasite idea ShdwyTemplar, however I would just like to ask how the parasites would be controlled. Would the player have to micro each parasite and attach each to an individual enemy or would the parasites move in swarms? Now, if the parasite colony is purely for defensive purposes (like, the colony shoots out parasites like a spore colony) , that's good too ..........

Oooh ....... your "retooling" idea is cool too Shdwy, what if Sunkens and Spores could switch back and forth with a cool down? ...... that would be cool .........

12. SemiEvil

SemiEvil New Member

congrats with a really cool idea!

13. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Nice. I like the idea.
    I always thought that defenses that boost your army more than actually attacking are more interesting and more useful hence why I want to bring back the shield battery.

14. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

nice idea, there should only offensive boosts like movement speed, rate of attack and damage.

15. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    Wow cool:D thats all I can say:)

16. SemiEvil

SemiEvil New Member

What happens to the symbiote if the units that has it is killed by a siege tank or a nuclear missile, or some other explose/splash damage attack?

17. silentmage

silentmage New Member

Mmmm ........ I guess I would die then ....... if the splash is high enough ... I guess what I'm saying is that the symbiote HP is kinda "behind" the unit's HP so when the unit dies, it immediately becomes vulnerable to anything and everything ......... basically, it will die ........ *shakes head at own lack of eloquence* ......

18. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

i like this idea, but i don't think blizzard is gonna implement it

here's why: zerg are about macro, the only micro of zerg i know are infested drops

19. silentmage

silentmage New Member

Ugh .... Ok I'm just getting slightly irritated here ..... I already explained that you can't directly control the symbiotes - they'll automatically attach to the nearest unit ....... It's just like a flexible upgrade ..........