Zerg Seeker Colony

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by BnechbReaker, Aug 17, 2007.

Zerg Seeker Colony

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by BnechbReaker, Aug 17, 2007.

1. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

Zerg Seeker Colony

kinda like a semi unit - semi colony in the sense that it can move (very slowly) but generate much less creep (around 1/4 radius as normal colonies, so only 1/16 creep area). as it move, it's surrounding creep move with it.

has an AA attack that fires a huge projectile that seeks it's target but travels slowly in comparison to fast air units. the projectile dissipates after a certain distance so, with proper micro, it could be avoided by fast air units. (similar to how vulture could sometimes avoid reaver scarabs) but slow moving capital ships such as BC, carrier and the mothership wouldn't be able to evade the missile.

the damage of the missile would be huge (taking out small air unit such as muta in one shot) but fires very slowly.

finally it can turn into either sunken or spore colony

2. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

it would move like any normal ground unit, with very slow movement speed - around half the speed of reaver.

it's hp and size would be similar to a colony.
    it's creep area would be around 9 times it's size
    it's damage would be around 150
    it's range would be similar to gaurdian
    it's cool down would be around 200

3. josh

josh New Member

In Our House
    shouldn't it evolve from the creep colony coz if that was the original form before sunken and spore, that would be redundant coz it started out as a very useful building and suddenly became mediocre.

but still, good idea on that. you deserve :powerup:

4. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

you have a good point there josh, maybe the spore colony can turn into seeker colony but seeker colony can also turn back. this might be useful depending on the situation

5. josh

josh New Member

In Our House
    ohhhh.... like making him mobile and position in a better site, like that, for better creep coverage?

6. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

yes and also become a detector

7. josh

josh New Member

In Our House
    so it'll turn into a tactical suppor then? but the nydus worms I THINK don't need to come out on creep.

8. string_me_along

string_me_along New Member

I think it's a really interesting and creative idea. I think it may be especially useful since the protoss are able to move the phase cannons around their base (inside pylon power). It would be a different way of allowing a comparable tactic for the zerg, while keeping it distinct (because it still supplies creep to expand base).

However, one thing that might need changed is that it has an AA attack. This might render the spore colony obsolete. It might be a nice upgrade or replacement for the spore colony if the attack was faster and less powerful. Or maybe a colony that allows for regen on the creep or does slight, but continuous, damage to all enemy units on the creep. Since it effects that entire creep, it can move around on the entire creep.

I dunno, your thoughts, BnechbReaker?

9. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    you gave me an idea! What if creep colony turnes into spore or sunken, and the sunken can turn into sunken nr2 and spore into spore nr2(other names ofcourse lol) The Spore nr2 could get stronger and slowly movable, and upgrading the sunken turnes it into either detector and stronger or really really strong! like, a damage 50 attack. It would be nice if a sunken could detect annoying dark templars :p

10. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

@string_me_along:

well we don't know whether spore colony will return, but i don't think the seeker colony's attack will make the spore colony's attack redundant. The seeker colony is only effective against slow capital ships.

a good idea i think is to classify the seeker colony as a unit (so it cost supply) this will introduce a new mechanic of building turning into unit in the game. and as a unit the seeker colony would be able to move any where on the map reachable by ground units. and also the seekers colony will have the option of turning back into a building

so spore colony <-> seeker colony

11. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    lol "uproot" where have i heard that before? :p
    Sounds to much like Phase Cannons ability. All units should be original and/or just unic.

12. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

also currently there isn't a ground unit that can only attack air, so the seeker colony will be unique in this aspect

13. timedragon888

timedragon888 New Member

But maybe each time it switches between spore and seeker colony it will have to cost about 100 minerals or something, and it will take some time, so it will discourage people from switching to and fro, something like the seeker colony fires the missile, then quickly switches back to spore colony and start attacking the unit at the same time as the missile hits it.

14. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Oh, and i heard that this fictional unit is gonna have half the speed of the Reaver. I have two things to say;
    1. What is this "Reaver"? I havent seen it in starcraft2, for sure.
    2. NO WAY! Its too slow man! Give it atleast the SAME speed as the Reaver.

15. string_me_along

string_me_along New Member

@BnechbReaker:
    It's true that we don't have really anything for the zerg for SC2, but the terran missle turrets remain and the phase cannons are just slight updates of the photon cannons, so it's fair to at least use the spore colony as a possible unit for SC2. If it is in the game the fact that they are both AA means that their roles would overlap if they were both in the game.

Also you say that it is primarily anti-capital ships. But also that "the damage of the missile would be huge (taking out small air unit such as muta in one shot)" which means that it would be very effective against non capital ships if the player has less than excellent micro or is 100% paying attention to that group of units.

I still think it's a good idea. But I believe my criticisms are still valid. I think it might be an interesting upgrade to the spore colony (if it's still in the game) like the lurker was to the hydralisk in Brood War.

16. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

here's a "reaver" from starcraft2
    [img width=70 height=70]http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l137/GrahamNificent/Beaver-In-Motion-3-Small.gif[/img]
    lets hope it stays....

17. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

it doesnt

18. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

you can't be sure about that the firebat just "came back" but still it could go again, nothing is final

19. timedragon888

timedragon888 New Member

They're just testing out the firebat now. Its not really confirmed whether the firebat is really coming back yet. But, who knows what Blizzard might do next?

20. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    one thing is fore sure: 6 000 000 000 people all over the world are gonna scream "YEEESSS!!!!"
    if blizz actually includes it.