Zerg Queen's Role Extension

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Imagine., Aug 12, 2007.

Zerg Queen's Role Extension

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Imagine., Aug 12, 2007.

1. Imagine.

Imagine. New Member

According to Blizzard's description of the Queen:
    A Queen is essentially a baby-sitter for the Zerg. However if the Zerg Queen returns to StarCraft 2, I would expect to see it's role changed and extended to that of a mother. If the Zerg Queen can inject organic lifeforms with "egg clusters" I believe it should now be able to lay a single large egg (using 175 mana which is equivalent to that of the Spawn Broodling command) as an alternative to spawning Broodlings. This would give the queen a role of a small and mobile manufacturing base, given the Queen's immense speed, it can get to any part of the map quite fast to drop an egg and go!

The Queen's egg can spawn any unit that you are already capable of producing, though this will not be free as producing a unit will still take resources to nourish it. Now you could either choose to create another Hydralisk or use a host to create two Broodlings, the choice is yours so use the Queen's energy wisely to best reflect battlefield conditions.

This Spawn Egg ability is good if you want to complement an existing battle group or quickly reinforce a faltering defensive line. What do you guys think? Because I would seriously like to see the Queen overhauled as well.

2. Cerebrate

Cerebrate New Member

I got pretty nice idea for Queen from your post,

What if Queen could work on field as mobile mini-hatchery. So queen would be able to spawn larvas, one or perhaps even two at same time.

So Queen would have to deploy much like Protoss phase prism and when queen is deployd it is stationary and it can produce one larva at time what player can morph to units what he decires.

Hatchery can upkeep 3 larvas but Deployed Queen would be able to upkeep 1 or perhaps 2 with late game upgrades. This would give extra edge for Queen uses and it would be able to supply fresh units to Battle if location if Nydus worms aren't avaivable or main base is under attack and it can't support.

Also Lairs, and Hive clusters could be able to upkeep 4-5 larvas instead only 3

3. burkid

burkid New Member

This reminds me of Remy's "Zerg Turtle" idea in another thread. It was essentially a mobile hatchery that could move about as fast as an unupgraded hydra and would generate larva at the rate of a hatchery, but would cost about 6 food.

4. Arachanox

Arachanox New Member

@burkid. *Jedi hand motion* There is no food.

You mean minerals? Or gas? Or both? This isn't AoE, it's SC.

5. burkid

burkid New Member

i mean supply, as well as costing a lot of resources (its been a while since i looked at the post).
    the part of it costing 6 supply is what would make it balanced.

6. tweakismyname

tweakismyname New Member

i like the droping an egg idea, sounds sweet to me and not too overpowered, if it just spontaniously created larvae there would be like 10 of them at each base

7. Imagine.

Imagine. New Member

Yeah, I remember Remy's "Zerg Turtle" concept though what I posted is an upgrade that I would like to see made to an already existing unit.

I would like to think that the Zerg broods are adopting some human qualities now that Kerrigan is at the helm and that is what made me think of giving the Queen an additional ability comparable to that of mothering a child.

8. opm

opm New Member

NYC
    i love this idea, it gives more felxibility and mobility in attack. BLIZZARD DO IT!

9. burkid

burkid New Member

opm, dont quote more than is necessary.

10. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    I would imagine this idea for a Zerg Queen.

Aspect Hive Development:Zerg Queen nest within the organic compounds of a Zerg Queen's Nest and mutates it into a Zerg Aspect Hive.
    Now you may be asking what the h*** is a Zerg Aspect Hive?

Zerg Aspect Hive

Tier: 4 Requires: Queen's Nest/Queen
    Cost:250 Minerals/250 Gas Queen
    Food Increase: 0 Armor: 4 Armor Type: Biological
    Spawns: 3 Aspect Larva

The Zerg Aspect Hive is the pinnacle of Zerg Evolution. A Zerg Aspect Hive contains the Genetic Code for two new strains of Zerg. The new strains are Hunter Killer and Devouring One. These Strains are only able to be mutated from the Zerg Aspect Larva unlike all other Zerg Strains which can be mutated from normal Larva. Both these strains contain similar Genetic Codes to the Zergling and Hydralisk. Both these strains cost double their counterpart strains.

An idea similar to this would be awesome. (fyi there is another thread on Hydralisk morphing into Hunter Killers this idea would implement the Hunter Killer, but, make it more of a specialty for the Zerg and would allow for the Devouring One Zergling.) Consider it.

11. Imagine.

Imagine. New Member

This ability coupled with the Spawn Egg will be pretty devastating.

12. opm

opm New Member

NYC
    not sure yet, i'm contemplating your idea.

as far as the OP I'd rather it be something like the marine pod ability that terran has. drop three larvae at a time and cost 150-200 energy. would make dropping in someone's base interesting.

one issue i see with this is that it is late game strat, and might not be very useful unless you mass the queens. it would still be a good annoyance tactic.

13. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    Kinda should have made it clearer on the Aspect Hive. The Hive would spawn Larva similar to the Zerg Hive. It would require though the whole tech tree of the Zerg to reach the Zerg Queen's Nest and allow for this ability to be evolved into the genetic code of the Zerg. that may clear it up. I was also playing with the idea of setting a cap on these the only thing about that is that if you have enough of them to make such a large number that it would kill you economy.