Zerg Protoplasma

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by CaptainPicard, Oct 2, 2007.

Zerg Protoplasma

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by CaptainPicard, Oct 2, 2007.

1. CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard New Member

A new kind of creep that can be mobilized into four or perhaps six weak and slow melee units should it be needed for base defense. Cost fot conversion of protoplasma to units is a little time. Put no supply limits on the units, but do put an expiration timer, say thirty or forty seconds, after which they become immobile for a time (so other players can kill them for credit) and then melt away for good.

To get the protoplasm in the first place, individually upgrade different dens/lairs/hives for a nominal amount of minerals. The production of protoplasma should be noticeably slower than the production of creep, but nonetheless automatic and free.

2. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

Or you can have colonies ?

3. ssjfox

ssjfox Hyperion

This is an interesting idea for some improved zerg base defense. I would agree though that they should probably be creep colonies, than you can give the upgrade to the colony and make it into a plasma colony which would go along since the creep colony's role of base defense. Since the zerg have only had ground to ground and ground to air maybe this could finally give them a ground to all defense. A small broodling like hydralisk maybe that could attack air and ground. I think this could be a very inventive idea and a good one at that for the zerg, but I really don't think it should be a hatchery,lair,hive upgrade because than it wouldn't be as effective because of balance issues so I really think this should be some other building but I like it for the creep colony but that's just me.

4. timedragon888

timedragon888 New Member

Yeah go with the creep colony idea. But how are you going to select the creep? If the creep is selectable like normal units, then it will be very hard to just click and drag to select several units standing on top of the creep.

5. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    You have a good idea there, but the colonees are good enough until we know what blizzard comes up with for the Zerg, and like timedragon888 said, how are you going to select them if they are all over the creep and below your regular units?

6. CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard New Member

The way I'd do it is to select the BUILDING, then upgrade it, or if you had a central upgrade just apply it in the same way as I shall state:

Once the upgrade (individual or universal) goes into effect, the existing creep stays in place (assuming that the building that spawned it is not destroyed). The protoplasm will ooze out of the structure just as the creep once did, replacing the original creep as it expands. Then, to turn the protoplasm into units, you select a building, hit a command button for "rise, my minions!" and some patches of the protoplasm around that building will coalesce into the units.

This would give rise to some interesting mechanics--confluent protoplasm would regenerate more quickly in an area if there were multiple buildings around capable of generating it. So, if for some reason you wanted to keep creep around, then you would select a colony in the center of an array of others to obtain the "protolings."

Glad you all like this idea! I might use something like this in my own map, if I can get a similar effect with triggers and some suitable-looking models.

CaptainPicard

7. xasterothx

xasterothx New Member

this is a good idea....its could be like a last defense or a defense...

but i dont like the name

8. ssjfox

ssjfox Hyperion

Well captain expanded on my idea and what he said is exactly I had been thinking but I didn't say it. I really need to learn to expand on my thoughts a little more but anyway thxs for making the idea bigger and better. ^_^

9. timedragon888

timedragon888 New Member

The expiration of the units are too fast. Perhaps they will be like broodlings, 180 seconds, not 30 or 40. What do you mean when you say that the other players can "kill them for credit"? I don't get it. When you kill a unit, you don't get minerals or credits. Also, maybe the protocreep colony or whatever you call it can have mana, and in order to create these units it will use up a certain amount of mana, so its like a spell.