Zerg Names

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by RaiseTheFlag, Oct 16, 2009.

Zerg Names

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by RaiseTheFlag, Oct 16, 2009.

1. RaiseTheFlag

RaiseTheFlag New Member

I've been anxious of the names of certain Zerg units like the Roach, Infestor and Ultralisk could have brought up at least a more define alias.

Roach -> ???
    Infestor -> Contaminator
    Ultralisk -> Herculisk

For one, the Roach does not feel like a cockroach for real. Yes, it does have its regenerative ability but your can't feel a 'Roach' when it looks like a big-fat-armored-beetle.

As for the Infestor, the entire 'Infesting' idea has been corrupted. They do not infest their enemies at all. I actually like the old demo but its was too much since it could disable the Terran production. They could have added a concept where in when the Infestor kills the unit. It eats them (restore their HP or something).

And why not Herculisk? they changes Devourer to Corruptor, Creep Colony to Creep Tumor...the Ultralisk

I'm not saying that these should be the names for them...lets this be a minor discussion for their namesake.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  2. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    The devourer wasn't changed to corruptor at all, nor were the creep and defensive buildings. A name change would mean the two units are the same, when this is not true for either of them. The actual units/buildings were swapped, not just the names. I will not point out the obvious differences between the two ATA units, but you might not know about the other pair - a creep tumour AFAIK is not built by a drone and is not on the surface.

About the ultralisk, it didn't get enough changes to warrant the name change - it's still a slow meat shield on four legs attacking with massive blades, only in SC2 it can attack multiple units at a time.

3. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    And Herculisk reffers to human mythology. It doesn't fit.

Also: the Roach is armored, fat, regenerates fast and comes in great numbers. How does the name not fit?

Edit: we're so grumpy lately.

4. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

Well for me, you don't have to associate Alien species such as the roach to our common earth pest cockroach since this is a game we are talking about, and it's non-earthling.

5. RaiseTheFlag

RaiseTheFlag New Member

6. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    I would almost bet money that they will change the name of the roach, you think they will bring back lisk into the Zerg vocab again?

I think the only thing left with a lisk is old units (hydralisk, Ultralisk, Mutalisk)

What names could replace the roach? (anyone whatch heros on NBC?) maybe Sylar?!?!?!?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  7. Korith

Korith New Member

Hemet, Californira
    LoL Sylar does kind of fit. No matter how many times he dies he just keeps comming back.. He dies at least 4 times a season.

8. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    lol, I know

but if you were truly to make a sylar you would have to make a unit with like 1000 HP and super fast regen and like an AoE psi storm attack or nuke attack that had a .25 sec cool down rate. lol

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  9. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    Hydralisk refers to human mythology. It doesn't fit. (Not that I don't agree that Herculisk is an awkward name.)

The Roach is armored, fat, regenerates fast, and comes in great numbers. How does the name fit?

OR

I'd hate to live where you live.

10. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    I have never even seen a one in real life.

Also, I think that the Hydralisk is just a coincidence. It's not like it has 20 heads or so. Herculisk is just way to obvious. The Thor I can live with, because it's a human thing. Naming an alien species which is your worst enemy after an incredibly strong demi-god is something else.

11. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

It's more along the lines that because of their crazy-*** regen rate, they're hard to kill. They'll take whatever you throw at them, and laugh....In whatever way a Zerg can laugh.

Like a cockroach.

12. alex1

alex1 New Member

You can't have -lisk for every Zerg unit, it would lose their originality :) Roach seems fine. Although if we had a better fitting name, i'd like it more.

13. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    At least it's better then Changeling. Whoever came up with that was either drunk, or really lost all inspiration.

Edit: Shuriken is pretty lame as well. But the Tempest got cancelled, so it's not really a big deal.

14. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

The Zerg names are sometimes different in the French version.
    For instance the broodLING is called "nuée". Where is the typical zerg name with the 'LING' at the end ?
    Defiler = Saboteur .... hm ?
    Scourge = Masse (Mass in English)

Protoss units.
    Zealot = Disciple. Now in SC2 it is called "Zélote".

15. Ballistixz

Ballistixz New Member

anyone else think that the AtA corruptor and the spellcaster infestor names should be switched? the corruptor actually infests things and the infestor corrupts things with its parasite thing. but thats just me.

ultralisk can stay the same, its pretty original. and roach can be changed to reginarators or something to that affect.

they stole that name from starwars =o

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  16. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
  17. There is no Overmind anymore, remember? Its just the Queen of Blades. And Zerg are perfectly capable of assimilating technology... have you seen the Infested Terran from the latest Starcraft II trailer?

18. Mattbaumann777

Mattbaumann777 New Member

In 11 years, the Zerg should have some neat stuff, not the exact same units. How about an overlord that can prepare a 3 course meal?

19. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    So are you suggesting that the Zerg set up a food stand to pay for there troops?

That would be random - Marine:I think Ima head down to the new coffee cabana for a refreshment, anyone else wanna get killed now? Or do you all wanna get killed later?

20. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    Oh no! The enemy is capturing our troops with their friendly staff and unbeatable low prices!!