Zerg Melee Flyer

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Psionicz, Feb 18, 2008.

?

Melee air attacker?

1. Make the Scourge into AtA melee

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Have an exclusive GtA Zerg attacker

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Scourge suicide is better

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. [sub]<Insert Innovative Creative Balanced Idea Here>[/sub]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Zerg Melee Flyer

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Psionicz, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    It has come to my attention people may like to see a Zerg melee air attacker.
    I am for this idea as it isn't to maintreme as Kuvasz said and doesn't raise much balance issues and is a new mechanic in StarCraft.

Personally I'd prefer the Scourge to be turned into a melee air attacker as it plays into the Zerg well and emplifies the Zergs swarming attributes. Air Zergling anyone? or even an advanced Glaive Wurm.

I won't elaborate too much on my ideas as I want to find the post where I posted a simple animation showing how a Zerg GtA unit could work. If anyone knows where it is or happens to stbuble upon it plz tell me and you'll be rewarded for your efforts :D

Vote.

Discuss.

Stay on topic.

2. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I still like the suicide more...
    Even thought a meele fighter is cool, suicide is even cooler!
    I am very against a zerg GtA because they already has the hydra, and in SC1 the Zerg air was pretty strong (against enemy air), so why do they need a GtA?

3. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Everyone was air strong if you look at it like that. Plus this is Sc2 not 1 so not all the units are the same. Also, a Hydralisk as they only GtA would make them lacking in certain areas were the other races don't since they have Stalkers, High Templar, Twighlight Archon, Marines, Ghosts (very powerful against Zerg now with the bonus system?), Viking.

4. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Yes but in Starcraft 1 (I do not want everything to be the same, im very much against it), the Hydralisk was good enought, and i think it will still be good.
    I think its very hard to say anything in this discussen, because we know like nothing about the Zerg in SC2 (hydralisk even in?!?!?), so Zergalicius i think we most stay more on the topic.
    But i still think a meele air unit will be week...
    It will be very easily countered by Ground, because it needs to move near to attack (lings vs marines you know). At least i think it will not be able to kill SV or Nomads as good as the scourges could.

Edit: I must agree the air has been maked stronger, but i think that blizzard will stay on the idea that the zerg need to make air to counter air (as in SC1)...

5. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    How hard was it to kill a unit with a group of Zerglings?
    This would be no different; a fast air unit which swarms around flyers. It would also be a nice way to evade the use of Overload since that will be mainly targeted at Mutalisks, not some cheap air units.
    Although the Scourge are pretty effective, I agree with you there, but just in case the Scourge doesn't come back we have this.

[Side topic] Or how about if Blizzard brought back their idea of Avengers, I think these weak units spawned from a certain air unit when it died.

6. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    What i meant with the Zerglings was:
    When you used scourges they were effective because they could deal much damage in 1 sec.
    But those melee units cant really do much damage if you need to kill SV or Nomads, because the MM will auto target them...
    The same way its easier to take out MM with the new banelings, because if they succeed, they will deal very much damage...
    At least those melee units will not take the role of the scourge IMO.

7. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Is this the animation you were referring to?
    http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=zergunitib1.swf&width=320
    I think that if there were to be a Ground-to-Air unit that attacks like that, it should still have a Ground-to-Ground attack as well. It wouldn't make sense for something on the ground to attack flying targets with a melee attack, but not able to attack other ground targets with the same melee attack.

8. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Thank you, give me the link to the topic you found it plz, the info is there. I'm gonna take important parts out.

9. Shadowdragon

Shadowdragon New Member

Nah, the Scourges would be much more fun if they had a new ability. It would be kind of fun if they could burrow, waiting for an air unit to draw close, then attack. Or maybe have a new form that makes them turn into acid-bombs. They would fly even faster and have a splash effect upon explosion that creates an acid that eats away at health (and maybe armor to). Just keeping the little buggers as is though seems a bit...boring.

10. TheOneInPower

TheOneInPower New Member

As useful as the scourge is, I think it needs to go. I think we need to start thinking of some different concepts.
    Zergalicious, I don't like your idea of the ground to air unit specificly, but I really like your jumping ground unit idea. Maybe make it a late-game zergling upgrade? Although, that might make the zergling too well rounded attacking both ground and air and make them a little too powerful. I don't know. What do you think?

My zerg air thought was something like a parasite that attaches to a ship and starts doing 1 damage per attack at an incredibly fast rate. And to add to it, since it's attached to the ship and it's near impossible to attack yourself, the parasite unit(once attached) can only be attacked by a different unit. So if one lone ship is scouting and cannot kill the parasite before it bites, it is pretty much dead meat. Any thoughts on my idea?

11. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Who said anything about the Scourge getting a new ability lol?
    If the Scourge come back I want them to come out of a specific air unit when it dies. Gives us two options in one; suicide or the power of the air unit.
    The air burrowing sounds intruiging tho, but realisticly they would get shot down before they made it air born.

@TheOne..
    Thats a nice concept for the Parasite but it needs a little tweaking, but I dunno. :p

@My jumping unit concept. Basically it jumps around everywhere in random formations thus confusing the enemy. Whether it be GtA or all round I don't know. What do you think works best?

12. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    That sounds really cool. I'd like to see a unit that isn't a single organism, but a swarm of small flyers like that, attacking the enemy for very small damage very fast.

13. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    a cool swarm unit would be nice, but what would the control be like?

14. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    It would look like a cloud of little tiny critters, but be selected & commanded as one unit. I'm having secon thoughts about it though, because a "cloud" unit would not only be visually detremental to the enemy, but the controlling player, as well.

15. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Heh sounds like Dark Swarm but with a Plague effect :]

16. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    Heheh, true. That's one more reason why it was a bad idea. :p

17. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

I just thought of something that could be really cool and unique if implemented for the Zerg based on the idea of a melee flyer. What if the Queen's Spawn Broodling ability was replaced with this (I did take the name from 574RCR4F7 because I really liked it):

Spawn Raveling - Research at Queen's Next (or similar building) - Cost 150 Energy
    The Queen launches a cluster of Raveling eggs (not unlike the old Broodlings) at an enemy - but this time it is an enemy flyer. A few Ravelings hatch, attach to the enemy ship, and start dealing melee damage over time. The enemy ship cannot target the Ravelings, but other enemy fighters can. This would be a neat mechanic to have in Starcraft II. In other words, the ability would spell certain doom for a lone enemy flyer, but could easily be countered if other forces are around that can shoot off the Ravelings. Of course, upon killing the afflicted ship, the Ravelings would also perish.

Let me know what you guys think.

18. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Somewhere near you
    i love that idea,
    but extend ato all mechanical units not just air,
    no more lone tanks shooting my drones

19. TheOneInPower

TheOneInPower New Member

You know, ninerman13, that sounds quite a bit like my idea, although you thought of it as a technique and I thought of it as a unit. I think it's just an overall cool idea, so either way works for me.

20. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

Whoa I'm not sure how I missed that... great minds think alike I guess haha!