Zerg "macro" idea -- reabsorption

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by n00bonicPlague, Jul 29, 2009.

Zerg "macro" idea -- reabsorption

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by n00bonicPlague, Jul 29, 2009.

1. n00bonicPlague

n00bonicPlague New Member

Got this idea from this TL post. Essentially, after researching "Absorb" at a Lair, the Zerg would be able to take any unit sitting on creep (that links with a friendly H/L/H) and "digest" it to get a return of the resources it took to morph that unit -- a return that would be controlled by the unit's HP and a "control percentage". The equation would look something like this:

(resources gained) = (unit cost)*(%HP remaining)*(control percentage)

It would be important to have the %HP factor in there, since getting nearly full resources back for a nearly dead unit would be completely imba. The control percentage would be there to prevent the player from throwing around resources like whatever. I think about 85% would be good.

This would give the Zerg a mechanic that is unique and very, very zergy in nature, and it would work very well with the Queen's larvae mechanic. I would be happy to lose the Terran's salvage in order to let the Zerg have this mechanic.

2. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    For the first, this looks a lot like the Terran's salvage abillity, but ofcourse their exists the possibility to remove that abillity (which you also suggested). But IMO this abillity isnt very zergy. Zerg isnt about getting minerals and gas back from old units, but use them for energy or let them mutate into new units. Its called evolution. I think the abillity (ofcourse with buildings), suits Terran better than (with units) Zerg. (like the tech-labs can be reused with other buildings!)
    I also generally dont like abillities that a low persons to get a chance for correcting a mistake (even though there is a loss).

IMO this is not the solution that is needed to balance the econ of the races right now. My suggestion: Let it all stay like it is now, but balance the dark pylon and the "drop pod" (make them weaker). Zerg will then still be the race that you cant outmacro in a normal game - like in scbw.

Once more my last words will be: W8 for beta!

3. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    what does this fix?

it seems pointless other then making minerals that you just lost making a unit on accident.

and i agree with furrer, it isn't very Zergy. Plus the idea is almost the same as the terrans only the opposite, but they share to much in comen.

and again this doesn't seem to help the Zerg. it you think it helps tell me why.

4. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    Agreed. Let's also remember that the Zerg generally have the cheapest units, so the resource return would really only be significant on something like Ultralisk, which can't evolve anyway.

5. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    ^ i agree as well.

who made this idea up and tell me why they did plz.

i just don't see any reason. Especialy for the Zerg.

6. Ballistixz

Ballistixz New Member

i think that would make the zerg a little OPed since they could trade in a groupe of cheap early game units like zerglings/banglings for late game units like ultrads and such. and vice versa. its already been said how salvage can be OPed and this is basically the same thing as salvage.

7. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

It's very rare to see a zerg player having financial crisis to resort to this idea.

8. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    I agree also. Since when do the Zerg have units that are so expensive that they would need a mechanic such as this.