Zerg egg mechanic.

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Bthammer45, Jun 23, 2009.

Zerg egg mechanic.

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Bthammer45, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

In light of the slow down of reasource gathering of the zerg and unit creation of the other 2 races like warp in i propose the ability for the queen to alow 2 units per egg with a half off one of them for lesser units like hydras, roaches, drones, zerglings, and mutalisks (would produce 4 for 75 minerals) when produced by her eggs and would seemingly work well with the even faster pace of the game.

A less crazy idea would just to have the drones come 2 to a egg in light of the recent mineral buff for terran and protoss gathering buff and the fact that you lose one is even more prevelent. This would also possible be balanced by only being alowed by the queen or have it as a passive ability. Also this could be a upgrade. (may be crazy but think about it)

As a upgrade it would be avalaible when burrow is and would not hinder on the very begining production values of othe other 2 races.

This would not only free up eggs but also make it so they are quicker produceing and resourceing.

This idea is not hard to implament and woulden"t take a whole lot of time to balance in because they are already i need of these improvements and the drone idea is easily added and taken out if too overpowered.

Remember zerg should be the quickest produceing race out of the other 2 and they have evolved alot.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  2. Lombar

Lombar New Member

Buenos Aires
    Well, I see your point.. but I think the better thing to do by now is balance the ammount of larva spawning, and not the ammount of units per larva..

If you could get an upgrade that spawns.. let's say 5 larvae per hatchery (you should do this up once per building) now THAT is something not that unbalanced and that would help the zerg a whole lot.

Just think, if what you propose gets done, then every zerg player would rush that tech and start spamming lings (12 lings in 3 larvae OMG) or even worst, hydras or roaches, depending on how much money/tech he has.. Im not sure I love your ideas

3. Lombar

Lombar New Member

Buenos Aires
    DAMN I WROTE A BIG POST AND THEN MISSCLICKED TO PREVIOUS THREAD AND IT DISSAPEARED D:

Long story short, no, Imba..

Try something like an upgrade on the hatcheries (once for each building) that gives you 5 larvae instead of 3

4. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

It's hard to propose an idea like this since we don't actually know anything about the comparative resource gathering ability of the Zerg (unless you have somehow actually played a number of Starcraft II matches)! On top of that, in the recent Battle Report, the Protoss player had more Probes than the Zerg player had Drones throughout the match and was not as disrupted during early game.

That said, if there are truly balance issues with Zerg resource gathering speed, they will come out quite easily - and be fixed - during the Beta. This could easily be done with simpler measures than creating a whole new egg mechanic.

5. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    Let me get this straight: you want an ability that makes the targeted larva(e) spawn double the units, for 1.5x the cost of the single unit. Correct? If I read that right, it's a very interesting proposition.

The biggest problem with this ability is the very thing that makes it useful: you save minerals by using it. The other two races may have economy-boosting abilities, but they still have to pay the full mineral/gas price for each unit they produce, while your ability would allow the Zerg to spend an average of only 75% of unit cost while simultaneously doubling production rate. It's no question that such an ability would need to be single-target, and possibly have a cooldown attached, depending on energy cost.

If you're suggesting that drones be produced in pairs after research, then forget it. Having unique mechanics among races is one thing, but there's no reason one races workers should cost less and produce faster than another races. That sets the entire game off-balance.

They already are. what does this have to do with economy issues?

6. Ballistixz

Ballistixz New Member

i think it would be simpler if the drones just get the 30% increase in speed while on creep like the other zerg units. or, get a 30% speed in the prescience of a queen or even able to get double minerals when the queen is in the area. it can be passive or just have the queen cast it on the drones and have the buff last for a certain amount of time. the new queen has alot of possibilities.

or even an upgrade at the lair/hive that gives the drone extra mining abilites. this should solve the economy issue for the zerg without having it to overpowered. it just makes it even with the other races.

i notice on the recent battle reports that zerg are very very strong early game. alot stronger then they were in sc1 early game infact. but as it gets to mid/late game the zerg just start to fall apart even when they expo faster then the other opponent. i think this is because of the extra mining abilities of the other races. the economy advantage they have over the zerg with the obelisk and the mules doesnt show early game but does start to show mid/late game. the zerg just cant compete with the superior mining abilities of the toss and terran. but this is only ONE of the factors to why zerg seem to be bad mid/late game in sc2. theres many more that factor to it like the late game units of the zerg themselves and etc. i just want to point out the mining disadvantage since this is basically what this topic is about i beleive.

7. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    Why not make it an upgrade that makes it so all hovering units (because that's what drones are) get a 15-30% speed increase on creap. This upgrade would come around the time the mules and proton charge come in and it would be anupgrade from the queen making the queen usless for spawning larvae until it's complete, this would add a little risk into it and also difine the Zerg more.

8. Ballistixz

Ballistixz New Member

they hover? i was under the impression that "crawl" with the leg structures protruding from them. i know they have what looks like small wings but if you look real close its just webbed legs. but if they do hover then i guess it would make sense for them not to get a speed increase directly from the creep but they can get one regardless from other means. or as i said before, make it as a cast ability from the queen to cast on the drones to increase the rate at which they gather minerals or increase the amount of minerals they gather per trip for a limited time. and like you say the upgrade can be attained around the same time the protoss get there dark obelisk thing or w/e its called now and the terrans get there mules.

there is limitless possibilities that can be added without imbalancing anything. its just a matter of what they will do to give the zerg a equal economy type buff like the other races. and honestly any one will do. as long as its on par with the terrans mule and the protoss probe charge thing.

9. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Ya the first is a bit imba but I would like to see the 2 drone implamented to see how it works (they might of already tried this).

Then again if you look at warp gates that can be very very strong essecially if the protoss player has 10 warp gates bam thats 5 immortals and 5 zealots instantly anywhere.

10. needler

needler New Member

Well the Zerg get extra larva with the queen.

And remember that MULEs have a limited life span.

11. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    the hatchery has 3 levels,

why not every time you upgrade it, it spawns 1 more larva and speeds up spawn rate
    so at the lvl 3 hatchery (forgive me for forgetting names) you have 5 larvae with fast spawn rate

12. Lombar

Lombar New Member

Buenos Aires
    Well if the zerg player has 10 hatcheries and a nydus worm then it's BAM 30 ultralisks everywhere you want :)

13. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    true... but all of the eco boosters ware of sooner or latter. the mules lose HP, proton charge wares off. and the zerg are reduced to maxing valuable minerals on maxing there drones to keep up while the other races run in and steam roll them in one or two waves.

the zerg NEED something terribly bad. and if they do implement something, i hope they reveal it fast.

Edit: sry this was meant for the last page.

and yea if you have 10 hatcherys then u can make a crap load of units. and tied with the nydus worm you could send ovies to spread creep and lay a nydus worm down anywhere you want.

but this doesnt help the zerg economy. it only makes it so that you need more minerals to morph all of thos lavae into units.

so it doesnt help, i do like the idea of the lvls of the hatchery idea tho.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  14. Sueco

Sueco New Member

I think the Spawn larva queen ability has Zerg production macros covered, akin to proptoss warpgates and terran fusion addons.

The problem is that with no resource boost macro mechanics like mules or Obelisks, the Zerg simply need an extra expansion to match the other race's resource income if at full worker capacity. That needs to be fixed.

15. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    we i guess in both battle reports the zerg have been behind in workers as well as not having any economy boost. this allowed the other races to tech up to higher units and steam roll the enemy with more then double the amount of units that the zerg had. thats a real problem in buy mid game the other races are out producing the zerg.

the zerg want to swarm the enemy with 10 times the amount of troops that the enemy has and remake all of thos troops in a matter of seconds in around the same numbers just incase of counter attacks.
    in this way the zerg are the most effective, but they currently dont have the economy support needed to do that.

16. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

But warp in is instant, can do it much easier, and also each canal costs 100 minerals its like a gimped version of warp that takes alot longer to set up and is alot costlier plus you still have to build all those ultras.

17. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    the protoss still have to build there units as well. and they have to make a 100 MINERAL pylon to be able to warp to that point. (zerg take overlord to that location, spits creep all over and then the nydust worm or what ever its called tunnels to that location.) both races are fast to get places, the zerg just need one more step, sending them throught the nydust worms. and if you on top of production you would be getting them throught there pretty fast. especialy if you took extra overlords and spiled creep all over. then its even faster for the zerg.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  18. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    More larvae is better than more units per egg in my opinion, zerg are more swarmy than efficient.

Protoss can take warp prisms to the location and warp in units, as well as transporting more units to that location.

19. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

With warp in its now a warp in then the thing goes on cooldown but if it was put that they would have to build then warp that would balance it very well but it the whole terran double cue that kills alot of the zergs ability to swarm and also the whole zerg hydra thing (the hydra costed 75/25 so it freed up 25 minerals for the zerglings or other units) thats why im pushing for roaches to be 75/25.

20. ZeR[g]LiNg

ZeR[g]LiNg New Member

Unless I'm horribly mistaken, don't the hives in SC1 already spawn larvae faster than the hatcheries? It's not more larvae, but it's still significantly faster, isn't it? Or is that just a myth?

More units does not equal more power. More units equals more micromanagement, and with melee units especially, we do not need more micro management. Zerg is swarmy enough as is, and if in fact the zerg falls behind in economic production, I doubt Blizzard will ignore/miss it