Zerg Counter for Capital Ships?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by niceshadesnick, Mar 3, 2010.

Zerg Counter for Capital Ships?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by niceshadesnick, Mar 3, 2010.

1. niceshadesnick

niceshadesnick New Member

Providence, RI
    I was playing the cracked beta yesterday (shhhh) and I was playing against one of the tougher computer opponents I had downloaded. I was zerg and he was toss. Well I was just ****ing around in my base checking out all the cool new units and here he comes with 8 carriers. i had lots of spore crawlers, some corruptors, and some hydras.

What should I have done here? Let's assume that I scouted and saw he was going carriers. What should I build.

2. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    mass hydra. Corruptors are good too.

3. Mattbaumann777

Mattbaumann777 New Member

It's too bad the spore colonies can't be upgraded to do more damange or so splash or something.

4. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    You should build some brains and not play pirated copies of this game. Don't come whining here later on when you have a keylogger and your WoW gets hacked or something. :/

5. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    Well Dun have a WoW account nor have ever played WoW so I'm fine as I see it, (oh and the craIck doesn't even touch you're account as long as you don't type it in. When you start the game normaly like you should be if you had a key.) (ssshhhhhhh)

yea, build mass hydra. That's the only real thing I could see, that's also why I down graded to the easy AI cuz they capital ship rush in the time it takes you to build a small resent force of units that would be great vs ground. (I usually don't scout, probly should work on that!)

6. KHaYMaN

KHaYMaN New Member

Oregon
    You need Infestors for fungal growth. After that, it depends on your playstyle and the situation. But any basic anti air alone against capital ships + support doesn't do that well without infestors.

7. Glaurung

Glaurung New Member

Your base.
    Definitely the Corruptors.

8. ica-finger

ica-finger New Member

just make sure they have to work hard to earn it and that they are so scouted that it's easy to destroy otherwise it's a killer. capital ships go down easy with the right combination.

9. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    Tried going hydra against a player getting void rays. Didn't work because the rays would just do over a cliff whenever my hydras got close and proceed to attack from a different angle. I had about 30 hydras and couldn't kill a single ray.

Luckly it was a ffa and losing doesnt do anything

10. KHaYMaN

KHaYMaN New Member

Oregon
    This is a problem in general with units that fly or can cliff climb. To work around it without getting flying units yourself you need to do something like:

1) Flank them to cut off their escape route. Good skill to learn early if you don't wan't reapers doing hit and runs on your base all the time. Also necessary to get the most out of lings.

2) Ensnare them. Certain tech units have the ability to immobilize or slow other units. E.g. marauders, sentries, infestors.

3) Burrow dem Hydras and pop em after the rays have flown over.

4) Speed/range. Zerg move faster on the creep, so make sure you expand your creep out a bit/use speedy ovies with generate creep, etc to run down those rays before they escape.

5) Move into melee range first, attack later. Generally speaking, you will enable your hydras to gain more hits by telling them to move directly under the void rays first, rather than attack-moving after them while they retreat. This goes double for ground based enemy units and combines with #1, flanking/surrounding the enemy and then taking them out (when they are fleeing).