Zerg Capital Ships?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by timedragon888, Jul 31, 2007.

Zerg Capital Ships?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by timedragon888, Jul 31, 2007.

1. timedragon888

timedragon888 New Member

In starcraft 1,

Protoss have the Carrier (protoss capital ship)

Terran have the Battlecruiser (terran capital ship)

The zerg should have one too (maybe not a ship, just a unit) ^_^

2. LJYLJ

LJYLJ New Member

guardians? devourers? Ultralisk? ....infested protoss mothership? ooh i like that

3. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

'capital' ships are only used for chain of command purposes, the zerg dont have a bunch of generals that need to be hovering over the battlefield.

4. DontHate

DontHate New Member

Yea. The only "generals" are the overlords that direct the army. I guess they're the capital ships then.

5. Shadowdragon

Shadowdragon New Member

Maybe the zerg can steal some terran siege cannons and stick 'em under the overlords. The overlords may complain about the pain, but since all they do is whine anyway, I don't see any real loss. Better yet, maybe they can use those tentacle things to pick up soldiers and use them as clubs. I would like to see and overlords wield dual zealots, smashing them into the enemy.

6. Dxun

Dxun New Member

"The capital ships of a navy are its "important" warships; the ones with the heaviest firepower and armor. There is usually no formal criterion for the classification, but it is a useful concept when thinking about strategy, for instance to compare relative naval strengths in a theatre of operations without having to get bogged down in the details of tonnage and gun diameters. A capital ship is generally a leading or a primary ship in a fleet."

So with that said, Zerg don't really have a capital ship.

7. Ghost

Ghost New Member

The zergs closes thing to a capital ship is an Overlord, the real capital ship is the Overmind really, but as is doesnt travel I guess it can really be called a ship.

8. timedragon888

timedragon888 New Member

But shouldn't the zerg have a strong air unit? Maybe it won't be called a capital ship, just something strong enough to face off with the battlecruiser or something...

9. Star-Crap

Star-Crap Guest

its called a scorge. stop playing fastest maps

10. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

The Zerg are a race of cheap masses of units. A capital ship/strong air unit does not fit their persona.

11. Shadowdragon

Shadowdragon New Member

They still have the manta-ray of doom don't they? The one used to travel through space and transport troops?

12. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

I'm personally not a fan of having the Zerg get their own capital ship/flyer. It doesn't fit the nature of the race, which is a cheap but mass-able units.

I think Blizzard sort of gave the Zerg a capital-esque flyer (Devourer) to guard AGAINST other capital ships, but ultimately the combination of Guardians and Devourers are powerful enough on their own IMO.

13. venado

venado New Member

Yes, it make sense... And this make races more different.

14. mc2

mc2 New Member

ninerman nailed it straight to the point. The Zerg will not be having a strong air unit that can dominate everyone else. Zerg are meant to claim victory through fast and mass production. By using those mass amounts units to wreck havoc on the enemy's base is the zerg's distinct charateristic.

15. timedragon888

timedragon888 New Member

What manta ray? I don't remember one.

16. Indigent

Indigent New Member

Yeah the ultralisk is good enough it would be neat if it had splash damage like in Starcraft Ghost. Besides who needs a battle cruiser when you have four scourges! Me neither 0.o

17. TheOneInPower

TheOneInPower New Member

I always thought the devourers were kind of a pointless addition to the zerg hoard. Considering they already had an anti-air only unit. So it was suicidal? Big deal. It was insanely cheap. Plus, devourers were so slow at attacking they never lasted long enough to suit me. And was it just me, or did those extra spores not do anything at all?

18. timedragon888

timedragon888 New Member

The acid spores increases your units' attack power and slows down the enemy's cooldown rate. 9 Devourers can kill a battlecruiser without dying. But I'm not talking about 9 units, its about 1 strong unit that can take on the battlecruiser.

19. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I agree with both sides of the argument. Yes, it's true that a "capital" ship would be uncharacteristic for the Zerg, but it does seem a little unfair when you're up against 12-24 carriers and don't have a real unit to turn to for that kind of firepower... In my opinion the Devourer was pretty weak. I never used it unless Corsairs became too much of a problem for hydralisks....

I'd be happy with just a redesigned air unit, or making the mutalisks have more powerful upgrades.

Although a capital ship for the Zerg would be pretty sweet....

20. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

actually, considering that the whole nature of the zerg swarm has changed due to kerrigan and other hybrids, we might see a capital ship in the campain, but not in multi player.