Zerg Anti-Caster Unit

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by FallinDevast, Jul 12, 2010.

Zerg Anti-Caster Unit

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by FallinDevast, Jul 12, 2010.

1. FallinDevast

FallinDevast New Member

Don't you feel it's odd that zerg doesn't have any dedicated anti-caster unit?

Zerg who excel in numbers of feeble units packed tightly together fall easy prey to toss HT psi storms, break apart thru Sentry FFs, fall to terran MM balls of doom with Medivac support, the occasional Raven with Seeker Missile and DS ripoff PDD, the mighty Ultras bowing down to Thor 250mm cannons, and zerg Infestors throwing FGs.

Infestors can do the job thru NP but heck HTs are second candidate to the top priority Collosi and Thors are just so inviting.

It's like Blizz telling us that "you the zerg should not engage an enemy ball of critical mass, go around and be the guerillas", the lack of an anti-caster is probably one of the factors why zerg can't engage head-on.

It's too late to introduce a new unit but I do have a suggestion: Make the Corruptors be the anti-caster. My reason is, capital ships which the Corruptors counter doesn't see much action and their AtA counterparts (Phoenix and Viking) have utility at battling ground units. Being a flying unit, mobility is not a major concern and they have pretty high health. I suggest remaking Corruption (which is mainly anti captial-unit) into something like:

Corruption:
    Corrupts the target's energy for a brief period and prevent it from casting active and channeling spells. Can only target units with energy. (It ain't creative enough but the concept is there)

These are all theorycraft but what are your thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  2. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

i feel you. zerg dont seem to have an anti caster. HELL i even had a terran player Snipe my HTs just before combat and i was forced to pull back. The only thing i could possible suggest is not rushing infestors with ur army but sending them ahead in an attempt to cast a fungal growth before a major battle. This strat requires you to know good timing and being a little trigger happy. This will allow the fungle to do full damage before the battle even starts. But i do agree zerg do need something for specifically anti caster. Terrans have emp or snipe, protoss have feedback. it would seem only far to give them SOME type of option to use.

3. TerranBanker

TerranBanker New Member

Montreal
    I agree that zerg don't have a specific anti-caster unit but other advantages exist to a similar extent. Bannellings for example especially burrowed do give you a great weapon against MM balls and also HT and Zealot armies. I saw an infestor build (Makaprime V Cool) that really surprised me, using NP on tanks and Thors really hindered the Terran army. You are stopping at a the lack of a specific skill but when you look at the objective for that skill you will find many substitutes in the Zerg arsenal. What I mean is I'd rather control(NP) or destroy(FG, Bannellings) the unit rather than just empty it's energy!!

Just a thought!

TB

4. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    Your looking at what the Zerg doesn't have.

Start looking at what they do have.

No other race can mind control, or burrow under ground and pop up a ton of infested terran in the enemy's base.

The terran have no aoe damage caster. What they do have, is some extremely annoying tanks.

We would have Age of Empires all over again if we gave each race the same unit, just with different looks and styles. If you get what i'm sayin.

5. Rebel Head

Rebel Head New Member

Virginia
    Actually sniper64, the terran raven has the hunter seeker missile which is aoe damage :p

But yeah, I get what you're saying. However, I do still believe the zerg need some work, I don't feel they are innovative enough, but that's just me. Almost there though, just a few holes :(

6. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    I forgot the raven, my bad. I just never see them in league games.

Out of all the 3 races, I believe Zerg does in fact need the most work.
    Although I think the races are set where they are.

7. Mattbaumann777

Mattbaumann777 New Member

Yeah, it's too bad it's all set in stone now, I thought they could have been more creative with the Zerg. For example, if the Lurker looked silly, they could have created another unit to take the Lurker's place as the seige unit that could out-range some units and defend a Zerg player's base and positions. I totally agree you don't want all three races having the exact same unit, that's why age of empires annoyed me.

8. VampireBob

VampireBob New Member

Has anyone tried running Speedlings behind their force and hitting the casters?

The one difficulty I see in this is when to attack with them.

If you do it before the battle, then they can just turn around and kill em. After the battle starts and the spells may have already been cast.

I would/will try moving your army in as if it was going to attack, then fall back at the last second before engagement and moving the lings in then.

Another idea is baneling bombing, dropping banelings from overlords onto the casters.

9. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    I think what people are having trouble with, is that Zerg is pure damage.
    The Protoss have feedback.
    The Terran have EMP.
    They also don't have a long range unit with some splash.
    They definatly could of done some more with the Zerg, but I think with any good player, they can win.

10. VampireBob

VampireBob New Member

I'm sorry sniper64, but I don't understand what you are saying.

Do you mean fungal growth deals pure damage?

Who is 'they' in this statement? Is it the Terran or the Zerg? I'm guessing the Zerg as Terrans have tanks. But then what is your point? Is it that the Zerg don't have a lot of things? Because I agree, they don't have early AA, except the Queen.

11. FallinDevast

FallinDevast New Member

@sniper64's first post

You do have a point, maybe the zerg isn't really built to a head-on clash but in most cases when zerg are cornered in difficult situations (given the current maps) a more direct counter to enemy spells is needed, not all the time you can sneak in an infestor or keep your blings hidden and hope your enemy doesn't bring a detector. Perhaps we haven't explored much (burrow play/drops) but zerg really lack any other alternative besides dealing 'pure damage' which makes them bland.

12. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    There's also the ovious problems with running lings to take put ravens, also a Protoss player that goes mass zealot/colossi/sentry/HT have everything "protecteded" under the colossi so lings fail you in that situation, and only mass hydra/currupters would save you. (hydras have the range to still attack when pushed back from FF (force field) and currupters to kill the colossi while making a few lings right afterward to clean up Any HT's or sentrys.

Which just shows that you need to scout and get the unit counters to be effective, just like with every race.
    ("ain't that a *****" -that chick that flys the helicopter thing in Avatar)

13. Swifty

Swifty New Member

Wisconsin
    wtf is an ANTI caster?
    you mean a caster?

Infestors have fungal growth, 'nuff said. *cough* banelings and fungal growth *cough*
    Zerg have Vrood lords for long range, though not "splash" it really is kinda of splash because of the broods.

Zerg doesn't need much work, they are supposed to be rough, that's their feel. They are jagged around the edges, imperfect, and wholly efficient.