Zerg air force

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Cabbage, Sep 13, 2009.

Zerg air force

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Cabbage, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Cabbage

Cabbage New Member

So I was wondering, what units from zerg are fliers? Apparently, it seems that the only cheap and low tier attack-flying unit is the mutalisk, which have been nerfed so bad that they are rendered pretty much useless now. The corrupter and brood lord are great units, of course, but they are expensive and late-tier units, and the idea of having to make mutalisks first then morph into the corruptor and then the brood lord is very time consuming and risky when the opponents have developed air defense (when the zerg fliers are morphing).

So, what I propose is that corruptors are to be hatched directly from the larvae, so the mutalisk can directly morph into the broodlord. There could also be a new unit mirroring the scourge, but I don't know.

Of course, this is only my personal opinion, so if you disagree with me, there's no need for arguments, comments will be appreciated though. Yeah, I also don't play zerg a lot.

2. niceshadesnick

niceshadesnick New Member

Providence, RI
    I think it's a good idea. Zerg are really gimped right now, and really any improvements are pretty much welcome. But I trust Blizzard to balance it out before the 2016 release. :/

3. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

I think you got confused on one big fact that negates your disturbance.... Corruptors doesn't evolve from mutalisks at all. And in fact it was previously available once lair evolution finishes but right now I'm not sure if it's still like that or if a spire is required.

And Corruptors were also modified to be the pre-evolution unit for the Broodlord (which makes mutalisks seem worthless) Though it really would be nice if they can get anything for the mutas to compensate for the unit stacking loss and the presence of early anti-airs for other races (Thors & Stalkers).

Basically zergs air never got better compared to the other 2 races. Mutalisks are still the same, a modified Guardian that can shoot egg-bombs, and an anti-air that needs to find something to kill in air if he needs to retaliate at surface level (corruptor). The numbers are definitely down for the zerg and they never emphasized on blizzcon 09 at all with regards to zerg progress. But luckily some were able to try them out. Check blizzcon 09 review by Jon for more infos.

Yep, improvements definitely is what we expect, but most of all we want LAN!!!

4. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    Zerg are fine. Air wise I think there fine, massing mutas is going to be awesome and there meant to kill small air/ground and gardian killing all ground and corrupters for heavy air, if you look at it there covered you just need to mass them like heck so you're going to need lots I bases with gas.

5. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    Wait. Mutas have been nerfed?! Nerd league, away!!!

SON OF A JonEagle
    caps.......CAPS!!!!!!!!!

6. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    I think a decrease in gas would be nice do a 100/75?
    Or lower like hydras?

How exaclty have they been nerfed?
    Maybe if they make an upgrade to do ful damge to 3 targets it wouldn't be so nerfed?

7. Cabbage

Cabbage New Member

I think they best thing for the mutalisk right now is a speed upgrade or the stacking ability. Since the stacking ability has been removed now, another option is to lower the cost like 75/75 so it's capable of being massed.

It was nerfed since they can't stack, and that their speed seems to have diminished. But the main point is that the mutalisk hasn't even changed while other flying units from other races have all been revolutionized. To add salt to their wounds, even the scourge was removed.

8. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    1.) Zerg are ground based. Most of there army is on the ground.

2.) Im sure mutas suked until they figured out how to stack.

3.) speed/full att/ or something woild be nice

9. Cabbage

Cabbage New Member

Would you guys like mutalisks to morph into brood lord, and that the corruptor cannot morph? Also, would it be reasonable to give the overseer some self defense abilities, like increase armor by 10, since they are so expensive? I was also thinking about giving them an ability to spawn broodlings, except this time it lays like 20 broodlings onto the ground.

10. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    hmm. run into the back of the base and drop banelings.

then when they bring back the workers the overseer had planted them in the ground and now they have a ton on lings to kill before they can go back to mining.

could be some fun ideas for raids. (or distractions or slowing down progress)

11. RaiseTheFlag

RaiseTheFlag New Member

Why don't they just produce a cheaper Mutalisk, since its pretty weak and morph into either a Corruptor or a Broodlord. Similar to the old mechanism Devourer & Guardian.

75/75 -> 100/130
    7575 -> 115/115

12. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    I think blizz wants to change the tech tree and mechanics to be NOT like the original.

Which for the Zerg they need all the help they can get, especialy with mostly old units and suky new ones things need to change.

The Zerg need a different unit for the roach in my opinion, but I want that regen and borrow-movment mech in the new unit, I want to like tunnel into a friends base and eat his workers for breakfast!

13. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

@Raisetheflag - I don't recall the mutalisk being able to evolve into any unit at all. Last time I've heard of it was that the mutas are now standalone units, corruptors will be the ones to evolve into broodlords for a change. (w/c is good in terms of gameplay but questionable for the mutas)

14. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    I think he was meaning they should make of kinda like the old tech where the mutas evolved into 2 things.

On another note
    Do you think muta micro is completly gone? I guess blizz could make it if you select something with you're mutas then they would remain stacked, couldn't they? I mean if technology that's a decad old can do that why can't we do it now?

But I guess it could be really devestating to the enemy, you could have over 200 mutas selected so you could kill anything in one shot. And in the hands of a pro it would only be a matter of time before everything is obliterated.

15. Vakarak

Vakarak New Member

away
    Mutalisks are still the only zerg means of seemingly effective air to ground combat. Compared to SC1 they were arguably the best early air unit. I mean seriously, I can have 6 mutas with the same amount of resources it takes to build build 2 scouts (Axed). But I hear what you all are saying when you say muties suck. I left two groups to attack an enemy base unsupervised and 1 High Templar killed em all =/. Like bummer....

Since SC2 doesn't have the Queen's Spawn Broodling anymore I guess I have to use mutas to defend against early siege tank bombardment.... then again the roaches moving burrowing ability does kind of seem to make that a lil unnecessary since mutas could easily get PWNd by a bunch of goliaths.

16. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    No more galiaths, but if they have a Thor then you're mutas are screwed.

17. Gardian_Defender

Oregon_USA
    for air force if you want atg then get some broodlords and start making it rain Zerglings all over the place. that would make the enemy trembly seeing some random zerglings fall from the sky and begin feasting on you're troops.

and yes the game needs to be improved but i think zerg air is fine since SC2 has been more about you're ground army, not how awesome you're air force is.

18. Mattbaumann777

Mattbaumann777 New Member

Every race in the original starcraft has more ground units than air units. You can't say every race is ground based, that's just kinda common sense. The point is the other races have far superior air units than the zerg. It seems like the Terran and Protoss have a lot of new units and the zerg force got the leftovers.

19. Gandromidar

Gandromidar New Member

Queensland, Australia
    Yeah, seems like Zerg isn't getting flashy stuff, and all the Protoss and Terran get is new/improved units, new mechanics, new upgrades etc. The Zerg need something that is good both atg and ata, I remember I always countered my friends fleets with a few squads of Devourers.

20. Driver RJ 117

Driver RJ 117 New Member

Canada
    The zerg need their own version of the Carrier an infested carrier or something like that. It would spawn things like a mix between hydralisks and the ones that blow up enemy ships they'd fly at high speeds and spit acid at a high rof. To change it a little the carrier could have a weak anti ground acid spray or something.