Zealot Charge Ability

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by TalkSC.com, Sep 13, 2007.

Zealot Charge Ability

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by TalkSC.com, Sep 13, 2007.

1. TalkSC.com

TalkSC.com New Member

I for one am againist the Zealot Charge Ability.

You can't micro againist them and you don't need to micro with them. Starcraft is a game of Marco and Micro, thats what makes it great. Introducing something like this is just straight up dumb i think.

You can read the rest of my post on it here. http://www.TalkSC.com/?p=6

2. coreyb

coreyb Guest

What the zealot charge ability is dumb? it's a melee unit and quite weak so it suit's it and it charge's with a small range not like it sprint's for 3 second's

3. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
     There are still plenty of abilities to be microed.  Think about it if you had to micro charge it would be totally ineffective to the point of near uselessness.  Doing a few psi storms is one thing but getting a decent army to charge right will require too much attention and in the mean time those reapers just took out the immortals leaving the enemy tanks there to keep shelling you.

It's not like Blizzard wants to eliminate micro.  There are just things taht benifit more from being automatic that would be hindered by manual control.  That is why heal was automatic

BTWwelcome to the forums

4. coreyb

coreyb Guest

Yeah so that's why You need those zealot's and possibly a colouses or two!

5. TalkSC.com

TalkSC.com New Member

Starcraft Orginal Zealots were fine without charge and i think it should be left that way. It doesn't matter if its a not a long charge thats not the point. When you micro againist melee units you move the ones being attack back, so the zealots will follow him and your other marines can shoot him. With Charge ability its not possible to run from a zealot.

I'm not saying the Charge should be altered, it should be removed period.

BTW everything I say i'm refering to non-money map, so for those money map lovers out there please do not comment.

6. coreyb

coreyb Guest

Yeah because blizzard know's that protoss has pwned and will continue pwning! :)

7. Ace_Bear

Ace_Bear New Member

The problem with zealots is there were the only early game unit that needed support other then the Zergling(and even then massed zerglings pwned because of trying to target all of the little ants...not to mention decoy attacks for a little 300 minerals lol) in the middle game. If Zealots didn't have their speed upgrades plus a shield and/or armor upgrades hydras and marines would work them easy. And even then Stim packs and Muscular Augs from the Zergs nerfed the Zealot. The Zealot was lucky it had so much health.

While I don't necessarily agree with the "Charge" ability I do understand the reasoning. Not to mention the fact that:
    1. The charge ability is researched like the old leg enhancements
    2. I could swear the Zealot moves slower normally now.

Besides Blizzard wants the Toss to be more mobile then before.

8. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I wonder if the leg enhancements will saty or if charge is replacinfg them

9. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I'm sure base unit speed upgrades will still be present. Stim pack, leg enhancements, zergling metabolism.

Basic upgrades like those will most definitely be included. They're necessary for early rushes.

10. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    I think someone has stated charge replaces the leg enhancements.

11. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Noone has even mentioned leg enhancements besides comparing it to charge. That's why I asked

12. moobox

moobox Member

I really like charge.

I played World of Warcraft for like two weeks before I had enough of it, and I remember the Charge ability in it. For that reason, I like charge, and was excited to see the Zealots gaining this new ability.

13. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

leg enhancement must stay, with charge only the sc2 zealots might even be worse than the one in sc1, while the marine has gotten better with it's shield.

14. Unentschieden

Unentschieden New Member

Charge has Leg enhancement included. It´s 2 upgrades for the price of 1!

15. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

is that official info? or what you wish.

16. Unentschieden

Unentschieden New Member

I think that was in a GC Leipzig coverage somewhere... can´t remember the source right now.

17. moobox

moobox Member

I would like to see it as two upgrades in one. Unless you were playing a map where you planned on having your army based solely on ground units, it would plain suck to have to upgrade Zealots, of all things, twice to have charge to and run faster.

Two upgrades in one, definitely :D.

18. TalkSC.com

TalkSC.com New Member

I think the leg enhancement is good enough and the charge is no good. Actually someone mention the marines with shields but it seems to me zealots are already a lot stronger than in SC orginal. But thats not the point, the health numbers and damage, or cost can always be patched up to made balance.

The important thing is that we don't want it to have an ability that will affect the gameplay of the game in terms of playing style negatively. If you are not a non-money map player or not famliar with proleagues in starcraft which is the reason why Starcraft is still running so strong today. Then please don't comment as it doesn't concern you as a storymode or fastest player. But in terms of playing a professional level the charge is not a good ability. Even right now zealots can kill marines as long as they know how to mirco the zealots and split them up to target indvidual marines quick enough.

Microing is a very important part of starcraft lets not forget that. I'm just seeing lots of changes in SC2 for the sake of it being cool or having new units so its actually like a different game. Which I understand is what some people want, because they are not players in the competitive level but for me I would rather see a game lack a bit at the coolness but excel in its gameplay.

19. Shadow Templar

Shadow Templar New Member

As far as we know, Charge is a mid-late game upgrade. Are there really gonna be Marine/ Zealot only fights late game. I'm sure you should pay more attention to your High Templars, Carriers, Battle Cruisers and what not. The charge ability is all about making Zealots semi effective late game. Microing Teir 0 units late game is just stupid. Tier 0 units should be able to do their job, however limited it is, late game mostly by themselves. It may sound lazy, but anything more just overwhelms people.

20. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    This is gonna sound rude and blunt but i really dont care. I DONT GIVE A DAMN WHAT THE TOP 1000 OR 10,000 PLAYERS THINK ABOUT HOW MUCH MICRO SHOULD BE INVOLVED. Becuase if the game is made purely made for those people not many beyond those numbers are gonna buy SC2. And that means there would never be a SC3 because SC2 tanked in sales. So please pull your head out of your ass and stop thinking only the best have a right to an opinion. Because without the masses buying the game there wont be much of a series beyond SC2 (if there is one at all).

Now that is out of the way the only real time i can imagine the charge ability making a major difference is in the very early to early game. So if the charge upgrade is anywhere near where the leg enhancement upgrade is the game should be out of the early game or close to it buy the time the charge ability can be researched. And like Shadow Templar said tier 0 units should be able to late game operate with good efiency without constant user control.