Your opinion on the Protoss Mothership's Blackhole ability

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by wukwinn, Jul 29, 2007.

?

Your opinion on the Protoss Mothership's "Blackhole" ability

1. Keep it the way we saw it in the Gameplay Demo.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nerf it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Trash it, it's way too cheap.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Your opinion on the Protoss Mothership's Blackhole ability

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by wukwinn, Jul 29, 2007.

1. wukwinn

wukwinn New Member

Trash it.

2. ArchLimit

ArchLimit New Member

Re: Your opinion on the Protoss Mothership's "Blackhole" ability

I really liked the black hole ability. In fact, even as of right now I feel like the Protoss are at a slight disadvantage given the amazing bunch of stuff we're saying the Terran pump out.

There really isn't anything too drastic when considering that the black hole can only be cast once and by one unit on one spot. JUST BE CAREFUL! It's that simple. I mean here's this slow, gargantuan ship; it's not like it'll surprise attack you, and all you have to do is not group your masses together when approaching it.

Now, IMO, I think the only "nerfing" the Black Hole might need is just a radius reduction, as some ppl have mentioned. But WITHIN this radius, absolutely everything should be able to be sucked in. I mean in all instances of the term, it's a black hole. It's not like it's gonna be choosy about what it should suck in. I just think this is such a perfect thing to limit ppl from going mass carriers (or now tempests/warp rays). I think it forces players to be smart and not just send in a bulking mass of powerful crap. And even if it DOES go off, it's basically like one good stack of psionic storms cast by a group of high templars. Then it'll be a long while before it casts again.

What's the big deal? Seems just fine to me. I'm all for it.

3. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

the ability just needs to be given a smaller AOE, the mechanic is perfectly fine.
    when you compare the ability to things like a nuke, plague and stasis feild, it isnt overpowered at all.

its going to cost something like 600 minerals to get MS with black hole, imagine how many high templar casting psi storms you can have with that money.

4. capthavic

capthavic New Member

@TC care to explain why you feel that way?

I don't see any problems with it. It's a researched ability (I think), it costs power to use, and it's only really effective if units are bunched together.

5. wukwinn

wukwinn New Member

I really feel that it's really the easy way to instantly take out enemy forces. Even when units are spreaded out, the Blackhole still has a pretty large radius. I think trashing it will only make the game better.

6. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

keeeppp it. its the coolest skill EVER. ^^

7. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

mothership is like carriers. biggest advantage is in surprise. you know where the mothership/carrier's gonna strike? then they will have much more difficulty doing their job. i have no idea why people say it's imba .'/

8. Lemmy

Lemmy New Member

They should make BH suck ships, buildings, units, critters and even doodads... Im joking. Just make it kill (suck) the units on the center and damage the other ones to like 80% the closer ones and 50% the farther ones.

9. Meathead16_

Meathead16_ Guest

I think this ability is awesome because it can only add to the wonderful chaos and action that is Starcraft. It doesn't need any nerf because the Terran and Zerg will with out a doubt get something equally powerful to counter it.

10. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

nah, i dont like this idea. its suppose to be a black hole where everything will be lost and not damage. just make the AOE smaller thats it etc.

11. capthavic

capthavic New Member

Well it costs power to use so it's not like they can spam black holes. And the MS is not a stealth unit, you will know its coming. Sure even if you space them out reasonably you'll lose some units but if you didn't then it would be useless and you can always make more.

At worst they should decrease the radius, but there is no need to trash it.

12. Pure Vengeance

Pure Vengeance New Member

Wow! What are you people saying? It's a black hole not a nuke... so why should it have a nuke effect?

I say keep it and make the pull most of the map because enimy units can fight the pull movement by just telling the units to go in a different direction... Remember that they only get destroyed in the very center of the black hole. Also, it's not like it lasts very long anyways compared to how slow it pulls.

O yah, and forgot to remind that this would be the anti to a D-Day type force :p

13. Lemmy

Lemmy New Member

Maybe we should get a warning. Like "Nuclear Launch detected" but "Mothership detected". Or maybe there should be a little black hole for like 2 seconds before it grows bigger and starts killing things. Itd be like a warning.

14. wuffle

wuffle Member

I said nerf it. Just a little radius reduction.

15. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head

A radius reduction is all it needs. The black hole seems like the highest point of the Protoss's psionic abilities. Way too cool to trash.

16. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!

Eh, I voted nerf, but now I want to trash it and replace with something else. It seems overpowered and it looks like a difficult thing to find a reasonable, yet cool, nerf. I'm sure the Toss know how to make some other psionic awesomness :)

17. Re: Your opinion on the Protoss Mothership's "Blackhole" ability

The black hole is the coolest looking effects in starcraft, or any game for that matter. It should stay but be nerfed by having a delay when casted to give some ships a chance to escape, or have a maximum amount of units that can be killed by it.

18. Xen

Xen New Member

increase the radius of the gravitational pull but only let it kill the units that were already really close to the center to begin with.

This way it makes a great combo with some high templars.

And allow for players to be able to run away from it at reduced speed(the closer the bigger the reduction), to reward micromanaging.

19. JudicatorPrime

JudicatorPrime New Member

Keep it the same mostly, except with radius damage. The close you are to the center the more damage you sustain. And I agree with being able to fly away (don't think ground units will have a chance to 'run'). I like to think though, that only large air units can get away Battlecruisers, Temepsts, Warp Rays... because it kind of makes sense. And smaller units only have a chance if they're pretty far from the center of the hole.

20. Skylark

Skylark New Member

My sentiments exactly. The move could still prove tactical and not cheap, if it were just watered down a smidge. Nerf.