Xbox project Natal

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Jshep89, Jun 5, 2009.

Xbox project Natal

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Jshep89, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Jshep89

Jshep89 New Member

Anyone see or hear about this? I was flipping through youtube and found it. Apparently its supposed to be microsofts version of the wii but better. It doesn't require a control at all.

2. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    it was at the end of there E3 press conference and yes, i am very excited about it! i cant wait to stand up and point and click with my fingers to play halo :p

3. Novacute

Novacute New Member

Here are some information regarding Project Natal.

Overview
    Project Natal is the code name for a "controller-free gaming and entertainment experience" by Microsoft for the Xbox 360 video game platform. Based on an add-on peripheral for the Xbox 360 console, Project Natal enables users to control and interact with the Xbox 360 without the need to touch a game controller, through gestures, spoken commands,or presented objects and images. The project is aimed at broadening the Xbox 360's audience beyond its typically hardcore base.Project Natal was first announced on June 1 at the 2009 Electronic Entertainment Expo. Microsoft said that over 1000 development kits began shipping to game developers that same day. Microsoft has not revealed any price or release date information for Project Natal.

An approximately nine-inch (23 cm) wide horizontal bar[4] connected to a small circular base with a ball joint pivot, the Project Natal sensor is designed to be positioned lengthwise above or below the video display. The device features an "RGB camera, depth sensor, multi-array microphone, and custom processor running proprietary software", which provides full-body 3D motion capture, facial recognition, and voice recognition capabilities. The Project Natal sensor's microphone array enables the Xbox 360 to conduct acoustic source localization and ambient noise suppression, allowing for things such as headset-free party chat over Xbox Live.

Technology Specifications
    The depth sensor consists of an infrared projector combined with a monochrome CMOS sensor, and allows the Project Natal sensor to see in 3D under any lighting conditions. Project Natal is reportedly based on software technology developed internally by Microsoft (gesture recognition, skeletal mapping,b[›] facial recognition, voice recognition) and hardware intellectual property acquired by time-of-flight camera developer 3DV Systems.Before agreeing to sell all its assets in March 2009, 3DV had been preparing a similar device, known as the ZCam.

Hope you've managed to learn something from that slab of info.

4. Dragon God

Dragon God New Member

Vancouver
    Buddy, i would not want to play halo like that.
    NATAL would be good for family games or games designed/altered for it but wont work for fps or rts.

I think that it will be hot for a while or as long as games (or mario party type games) are made for it.
    I'd like to be able to control my avatar and walk around but otherwise, stick to the controller.

5. Novacute

Novacute New Member

Yeah, it would be awkward to play Halo or any intense game which requires constant adjustments of the aiming reticle, movement, grenades, etc. It would be too challenging for any person to do it. Take Wii for example. They have limitless potential with the controllers and the sensors. However, the games are actually quite simple in terms of gameplay and remote functions. This is largely due to the fact that it would be too impractical to play a shooter game. (for now anyway) (think resident evil Umbrella Chronicles - it has been reduced to a Time crisis esque game with great graphics... )

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  6. Darth_Bane

Darth_Bane Moderator

Seattle, Washington USA
    So in other words your lazy? Dude I think they can make a game like Halo for the Natal project but seriously in all reality all they would have to do is minimize the amount of movement needed to turn. The grenade tossing would eventually wear out your arm at the worst. There are some complications as with the running and shooting but all in all it would not impede Microsoft (or Bungie for that matter) to create an extremely fun, fast passed, addicting game with the Natal. Now all you have to do is ask yourself if you want to burn all those calories you KNOW your carrying around with you or sit your buttocks down and add some more to that tummy fat.

The Natal system has great potential and I can hardly wait for it. I laughed at Sony (I normally do for all their great games which they do not create but endorse but their crude controllers) when they unveiled that controller that is basically the Wii remote and even less than the Natal.

The great thing I find about Natal is that it ignores everything it does not scan (which you tell it to) such as skateboards, toy lightsabers, pencils, etc. And use it in-game. That way I don't have to buy special controllers and I can use the stuff I already have in my house. As a bonus it has the AI program that relates to you, interacts with you using the smallest of your facial expressions it knows what you are feeling/ expressing, Lionhead Studios created this AI. Which is simply brilliant and I think they will be able to make programs like these for anybody to be customized to your specifications for a price. ( I am guessing that a constant companion that knows you very well and is a friend will cost no more than $60 which is the average price of a brand new game)

7. Novacute

Novacute New Member

wow, let's not turn this into another xbox 360 vs Ps3 thread. I just simply chose to buy the PS3 for it's blue ray capabilities. I'm also an old fashioned gamer. It's my opinion on the matter after all i'm entitled to it. DOn't have to gun me down for that. I think i'm underweight from the time spent on tennis after 2 days.. after all.. winter comp is also near. Let's not forget that i mentioned 'For now anyway'...

8. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    they could even just have one small wireless device that fits in your hand that controls movement, it would be easy and wouldnt impede on the point and click action at all. you could hold a squirt gun or a paintball gun if you want some more realism.

9. Jshep89

Jshep89 New Member

I have all three consoles. I have to say that I got tired of both of them pretty quickly. PS3 visuals are way ahead of xbox 360's, and it come's with everything that microsoft feels the need to charge you extra for. Xbox on the other hand has more games, and the games are usually entertaining. While at the same time its Xbox live to me seems to make the console less then just a video game machine and more of a vital part of a home entertainment set. With the fact you can download movies and tv shows with it. Its just amazing, I mean I replaced my cables video on demand for the Netflix service. PS3 is a gaming system and it beats Xbox in that area. How ever Xbox is more then just a gaming system and in that area it leaves the PS3 in the dust.

As for the Project Natal. I think it would be possible to play an FPS designed for it. I wouldn't think Halo or anything like that mainly because the game is designed around a controller. However, I doubt that they would have a hard time developing an FPS just as dynamic as Halo to use on the Natal. Wii's system was limited to the systems controller which is hard to compare to a completely hands free system. There are already game systems out there that use this hand free type of play for FPS's the only differance is those consoles cost about fifty thousand dollars and are too big to fit in your living room. I've played them personally and they are a lot of fun. You can mostly find these in theme parks, and I believe the military makes use of them as simulators. I can't wait to get my hands on Natal knowing what this kind of game play offers.