Wow Mothership overhaul.

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by JudicatorPrime, Aug 3, 2007.

Wow Mothership overhaul.

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by JudicatorPrime, Aug 3, 2007.

1. JudicatorPrime

JudicatorPrime New Member

Motherships, a Protoss super unit, have also been altered in significant ways. They're still powerful units, but they no longer have the black hole attack which, if you've seen the footage from this past May's Worldwide Invitation, was incredibly powerful. They also don't seem to have the ability to create a missile blocking field around them. Instead, they use a cloak field, something we didn't find all so useful once we'd already moved them directly over a Terran base and were getting nailed with anti-air missiles. They also are no longer capable of attacking air units, though they possess an extremely effective laser barrage against those who reside on the ground. To balance this, it's now possible to have multiple motherships out on the field of battle. - IGN

Anyone else incredibly disappointed... I wonder who gets the black hole and time field now... if they're even still in there. Say hello to scourge rape, if there are scourges. If not anything else in the air will suffice.

500 minerals reward to you for finding out this info!

2. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

That's BS. I like the ultimate unit thing.

3. DontHate

DontHate New Member

well first of all, thank god no more black hole and time bomb. i hated time bomb, and thought it was the most useless ability ever, and black hole was way too op. The cloak, i like, and the no anti air, i dont' mind, and the more than 1, awesome.

4. JudicatorPrime

JudicatorPrime New Member

Me too, and it doesn't fit with backstory. Supposedly these things are giant armed cities... Putting them to war is okay when theres one uber one... now we're going to have dozens of them... well maybe not dozens because they kinda suck now... but you get the point. All its allure just got flushed down the drain. ONe has to wonder though, are they scrapping super units or just replacing the mothership with something else.

5. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

The Black Hole was meh, even I thought it was a little OP, but the Time Bomg was amazing tactically.

6. cereal

cereal New Member

Black hole was definitely OP, but it was awesome. Oh well.

7. kehmdaddy

kehmdaddy New Member

I'm disappointed. Sure blackhole was overpowered, but I think they could've found a way to still make it a cool, useful spell and not eliminate a whole army. Time Bomb was meh, it looked like it could've been useful in certain situations. The thing that bothers me is the no attacking air; that really sucks. Cloaking field is alright but I liked the idea of the all powerful Mothership. Now it doesn't feel like a Mothership to me anymore... it just feels like a floating gold pyramid Arbiter that hurts ground units and gets blown out of the sky by warp rays and battlecruisers.

8. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Good, it'll make it easier to fight toss... xD Jking, that kinda sux.

9. burkid

burkid New Member

god... cant even hit air anymore... they got nerfed. bad.

10. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!
    Ouch....MS got it BAD!!! So what the hell is Blizz gonna give them now for a super unit?

11. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    I have a feeling that they are gonna be scraping super units all together. Seems like they played around with the idea a bit but it ended up not working out. Honestly, I won't miss the motherships ablities or it being a super unit much. I think it will better this way and its evened out anyway because now you can make more than one and you got carriers returning as well as Warp rays.

12. Khala Enforcer

Khala Enforcer New Member

How true how very true :no:. Taking away it's time bomb, black hole, and ablity to attack air units :bad:.The "Mothership" now seems like a waste of time unless your thinking about attacking a base or a completly ground based army (which there is a very slim chance someone would do that). And seeing how you can make more then one it's not really a Mothership is it? Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't there usually only one of anything given the name "Mothership". :upset: its just to much to take in one day. It's a slap in the face to Protoss fans out there.

13. PancakeChef

PancakeChef New Member

United States
    You are getting the carrier back though, which I think its a pretty good trade-off. Motherships are just huge captial ships so there could be more than one. I do agree though that it seems they are taking a little too much away from it.

14. Ryno

Ryno New Member

Completely agree. I loved the idea of using Time bomb to bust through heavily guarded shorelines, etc (covered in turrets or something of the like). Many good situtation could have come from that.

The idea that it was strong (too strong with the black hole) and you could only have one was kind of neat. An army of these will look stupid. But no Time bomb = totally useless

15. xasterothx

xasterothx New Member

well now that it has multispawn its fine

but still it wasnt very powerful in the first place

16. paragon

paragon Guest

black hole was awesome but it was very OP
    awesome balance > awesome ability

the way starcraft is does not lend itself to having ultimate units because it is a game of hard counters and if there is an ultimate unit then it can't really have any hard counters so instead it would have to have units that are okay at dealing with it but nothing great. Unfortunately, this would mean making lots of abilities have a reduced effect on the mothership like a hero in warcraft 3 and that just isn't cool.

so, good. I doubt anyone but the noobiest of noobs would mass motherships anyways. And they will be easily slaughtered.

17. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

I guess I'm ok with changing its super status to normal unit, but I have a few major qualms with what they did:

A) Lack of an AA attack - why would a Mothership not be able to attack air units?! They should at least make the attack against air weak, but not completely gone.
    B) Cloaking field - I'm sorry, but that ability belongs to the Arbiter/Star Relic/Stasis Orb or whatever they finally decide. I just don't see a Mothership doing this.
    C) No abilities other than cloaking field. Ok, time bomb and black hole were overpowered. But come on! At least leave us with something cool....

**Edit - Oops, forgot about the Planet Cracker, but point C stands, needs another ability!**

Despite all of this I am confident that when Starcraft II finally comes out I won't be disappointed with anything that they did.

18. MobileInfantry

MobileInfantry New Member

Darn they messed with it real bad, no AA and it only has the planet cracker and a cloaking field now!? T_T I thought motherships were the almighty force of the protoss equiped with the best technology they could muster. And each tribe only has one of them to lead their troops into battle because of their mear raw power, but now there only floating dinner on a plate for air units. And now you can build more of it? I'll admit black hole was pretty imba but time bomb didn't seem to imbalanced. I'm pretty sure they could of found a way to tweak it a bit to make it more balanced? The super unit mothership was a good idea to me all they had to do was tweak the time bomb and exchange the black hole for something else.

19. qOcOp

qOcOp New Member

its not a super unit anymore, its just a strong late game unit. imo great change,having a super unit makes it too much like warcraft3 (heroes *cough*cough)

20. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    This is certainly a gay ass turn of events. Why bother with the whole damn idea in the first place if they're just gonna scrap the whole thing at the first sign of imba without trying to tweak? Black hole and time bomb could easily have been adjusted in some way.

Blizzard, just completely scrap it and put in arbiter instead, that's what it is now anyway. Why would you spend all that time, tech, and build cost just for a direct damage spell? You have psi storm for that. Might as well just scrap all the ideas and just put in everything from SC1 back in the game.

MS should either be an ultimate unit or not be in the game at all. It will piss off everyone doing it half assed.