Worries with Protoss so far.

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by niceshadesnick, Aug 25, 2009.

Worries with Protoss so far.

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by niceshadesnick, Aug 25, 2009.

1. niceshadesnick

niceshadesnick New Member

Providence, RI
    Hey guys I'm nick, I'm new here, so this will be my first big post, lol.

So far I am a little worried about the way the protoss are headed so far. One of the biggest reasons I love them is that they were the one race that built tough, strong individual units at a high cost or whatever compared to weaker, more expendable and massable units.

While the I think the zealot is perfect and fits that description nicely right now, there are a few units that I think have some issues.

The first is the Stalker. Without good micro (for blink and such) the stalker seems way to weak 1 on 1 vs. like roaches, marauders, and things like that.

Another is the colossus. This one is kind of rediculous. For such an expensive and big unit, is has only 1 attack which is barely par, and it can be attacked by air or ground, even though it can't attack air. But even being strong or hard to kill would make up for that, but if you watch the battle reports, they seem pretty easy to take down.

The last is the phoenix. This thing is just too weak and too vulnerable.

In 1 on 1 encounters, seeing how the races work, this is what should happen

Zealot>Marine>zergling (already good where it is)
    Stalker>Marauder>Roach (very out of whack)
    Phoenix>Viking>Mutalisk (a little iffy)

Of course these balance out due to the fact that a zergling is far less expensive and quicker to build than a zealot. This philosophy should apply to MOST units in the game.

Anyways, yeah that's just what I was thinking, feel free to flame/call me an idiot/say I am clueless/whatever.

thanks for reading. this has been niceshadesnick on his latest rant. peace.

And yes, I stay up till 1:30 AM talking about SC2. (actually I was on AIM with this chick and felt like writing this, believe it if you want dudes!) :D

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  2. Maelstrom

Maelstrom New Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Well.. I think we should wait for the beta to see for ourselves. Its really hard to tell how strong a unit is, in terms of cost and prowess and overall efectiveness when you can't play the game, and the game builds change all the time.
    Hopefully the beta will be released in a few months (although I think I heard someone saying It would be lauched around jan-feb '10). THEN we can rip each other's hair out arguing about balance.

Well, at least that's my take on it.

3. niceshadesnick

Providence, RI
    well yeah i guess you're right, but these are just "worries" like I said lol.

If you watch the battle reports mainly, you will know exactly what I mean.

4. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    1. My names nick too.
    2. I dont know why you would say to stalkers, they have blink. They arent meant to take tons of fire. There meant to evade it, and deal it out somewhere else. My favorite unit, dont diss them.
    3. If you didnt *only* watch the battlereports. You would know they beefed the collausus up. After the third battle report. I'm to lazy to find the actual post. Also, the collausus may only have 1 attack, but he is one of the most mobile units in the game, as for ground units. He can walk up clifs and has a sort of aoe attack.
    4. Phoenix, is also a unit you have wrong. Its a support unit. It can lift up units etc.
    5. Dont we all? I play dota.

5. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Well right now the stalker does 20 damage (thats what jongale_x said in his guide) but they seem to hold up pretty well even without blink.

The collossus is very powerful ingame as it does 45 sweeping damage now and is completly deadly in pairs.

The phenoix is pretty powerful from what iv seen and a great harrasser.

Im not makeing any more calls till beta on what sucks (i will say the zerg do atm).

Im also guessing your a big protoss fan.

6. niceshadesnick

Providence, RI
    Yeah the stalker is my favorite unit too. Which is why I would like to see it buffed just a little bit more.

And I was unaware of the colossus changes.

And yes I'm a big protoss fan, lol.

7. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    @niceshadesnick,

You have to realize that things HAVE switched up a bit in StarCraft 2. Some of the Protoss' "individualistic strength" properties have changed. Now they're one of the most mobile races, probably even more so than the Zerg.

The addition of the Warp Gate has changed the game and allows the Protoss to build units on the fly and react much more quickly than previously. This means that Stalkers don't HAVE to be able to take down a unit 1 on 1 nor should they.

You may also be mixed up in some of your comparisons. The Viking is not really meant to counter the Mutalisk or the Phoenix, it's meant to kill "massive" air units like the Mothership, Battlecruiser, and Carrier. Only secondarily does it function as an ATA fighter. That's what the axed Predator was for. The Thor or Battlecruiser would be much more adapted for that task now (the Battlecruiser has a splash damage ATA ability and also fires many small attacks instead of one big one). It's much more designed toward killing off masses of units.

@Sniper64,

Making a point and then saying "I'm too lazy to find the post" nullifies your argument, just as an FYI. So your entire post was pretty much useless. LOL

As far as the Colossus is concerned I actually lean toward that he's a bit tough to take out when supported by Stalkers. Any stronger and he might be way too powerful. He's been nerfed several times.

8. niceshadesnick

Providence, RI
    yeah you're probably right, i was just trying to make examples.

and i understand what blizzard is trying to do, i guess i am just worried that the premise of the protoss race as a whole is headed the wrong way, but i'm sure it will work out in the end.

9. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    Not 45 damage 23x2

HOLY SHIZZ REALLY 20 DAMAGE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!??!?!?!? i dun think so -.-
    anyways, i really would like to see a 20 damage stalker >=D HAHA!!!!
    but maybe due to balance issues, they'll make it like 15 damage no bonus.
    cuz 20 damage stalker and 20 damage immortal... =/ ven iof ijmmortals can atk air, and are "meatshields"..... =/
    i wopuld like a 25(maybe +6 damage to heavy?) damage immortal/15 damage stalker (or 12+5 damage to heavy armor) poontage >=D
    yes i am a big tss fan :)

k i also have issues with hydra air attack....10+6.....wtf >.>
    16 damage vs all air? i dun like it >=(
    it would be nice if it was 10+6 damage to only heavy armored air units >=D

zerg ultra? tsk tsk tsk its SOOOO unzergly -.- 300/200 min/gas ..... 40 damage to units 60 to buildings...... tsk tsk tsk

lurkers? meh i wish it lower on the tech tree, and RESEARCHABLE siege range much like the colossus (hive tech )

corruptor? mmmmmmmeh. up to hive tech plz, like 15+6 vs heavy armor plz. (depending on atk cooldown ;)) 1 armor base

Brood lord, last i heard had 350 hp. .............*cricket**cricket* wtf...... 200 hp, 2 armor, 25+3 damage per shot 1 broodling or 2 per shot 75% 1 broodling 25% 2 broodligns ;D less min/gas :D maybe like 100 min/75 gas to morph into it

terran..... i hate the maurader...... and according to joneagle's post he hates it too :D

however, i will trust in blizzard, as they have given us sc1, even tho most of those designers arent in blizard anymore (why god why) :)

GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >=D

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  10. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

Does anyone else feel like the immortals move was a good thing. Thinking about it being warped in onto of the fact its hard to kill my many units seems like a sound thing to do.

11. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

I think they should simply change it so they can only be made at the gateway. You could probly throw DT in there also.

12. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    DT is made at the gateway -.-
    CORRECT?!

13. alex1

alex1 New Member

I agree, a flat 14 or 15 damage with no bonus would be great for the stalker. if it did 20, then the immortal would have no use by itself.

14. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    YEA SOMEONE AGREE~!!!! >=D
    anyways, joneagle, it seems ur wrong. all the starcraft wikis show 10 damage (actually 1 showed 11)
    hm, i guess a 11damage stalker +2 per upgrade and a special upgrade, requiring lvl3 ground atk that enhances stalker damage by another +2 damage. so in full it could be 11+2+2+2+2 (11+8 = 19)
    or, since its a highmobility scout,k how about an ability that requires lvl 1 ground atk, and enhances its range (+1 sight range AND +1 atk range)

15. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

It seems stalkers got a boost in shield now sporting a total of 180 health versus 140 while getting a decrease in damage by 4 points interesting.

16. alex1

alex1 New Member

I saw nothing has changed on the wiki, but then, maybe even the wiki is not up to date.

EDIT: I found this site confirm what Bthammer said regarding the stalker stats:
    http://starcraft.incgamers.com/wiki/Stalker

But then it contradicts the wiki.

Who's up to date?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  17. Spardas

Spardas Guest

kinda off topic but im worried about unit deaths.....the colossus death sucks so does the stalkers's.....but i guess this is a rly small thing and a work in progress so nothing to rly worry about

18. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    yea lol

anyways, i cant wait fer beta!!!!!! THATS RIGHT! "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" GAHHH!!!!!!!!!~

19. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    the hydras att has changed to 8 base and (i think) +4 to heavy

im not positive on the +4 but im positive someone said now its 8base damge.

I'm fine with the marauder, and the stalker (though it could use something else small) and the Utra is AWESOME!!!!1111!!1!!111!!! so if its not the aka"zergy" feel, Zerg are meant to mass but the ultra is also kinda just a cannon fodder in some ways, I mean you send in 5 ultras with a group of 50+ lings and the ultras take a ton of the damge way from the lings and the lings rip everything else to shreds, and now that the lings can run under the ultra the ultras can get to the front and pull even more fire away from the lings making a huge ling att with ultra "fodder" one of the most devistation attacks in the game (against ground).

20. teraformer

teraformer New Member

kansas city, MO
    re

Im worried about them nerfing the protoss.